36 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2004 :  09:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://stores.musictoday.com/store/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=3628&band%5Fid=792&sfid=2

it's 256 kps MP3

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2004 :  10:19:15  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why have they encoded them to MP3? If I'm going to pay for music I want it to be lossless.

Penguins can be bitches too.
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2004 :  10:27:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why was the Boca show skipped over?!?!! SO.....ANGRY!

Around here, intolerance will not be tolerated
Go to Top of Page

Levitated
= Cult of Ray =

Chile
652 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2004 :  11:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nah... with MP3 quality they're just killing music even if it's 256kps :( gee how I grieve for those old disclive days

Edited by - Levitated on 10/29/2004 11:07:09
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6012 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2004 :  12:01:10  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it's a bit chieper though
escpecially since there are no shipping cost

"I joined the cult of Jon Tiven/Bye!"
Go to Top of Page

Daisy Girl
~ Abstract Brain ~

Belize
5305 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2004 :  16:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dayanara

Why was the Boca show skipped over?!?!! SO.....ANGRY!

Was the venue owned by Clear Channel?

http://www.campervanbeethoven.com/gearstolen/
Go to Top of Page

dayanara
* Dog in the Sand *

Australia
1811 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2004 :  17:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure, but i thought this whole download thing was a way to get around the clearchannel bullshit. I wonder if its because the rain knocked the soundboard out.

Go to Top of Page

justahangwire
- FB Fan -

45 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2004 :  17:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wish they had previews. how do we know if the recording sounds as good (or better) than it was live?

*sigh*
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2004 :  09:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bought Atlanta's second night (10/14/04) on a lark.

The site says the MP3s are encoded at 256 KPS, but in reality they're at a much better 320 KPS.

They sound extremely good. Not too far off from the Disclive CDs, however, I am only listening to them on headphones. I have not put them up on a real soundsystem, but it seems like they'd do very well.

Personally, I feel the drums are a bit too low in volume for my taste, but that's a reflection of the mix itself and not the quality of the recording.

The only drawbacks are: that tiny hiccup between each song that is part and parcel of live MP3s, and the fact that the medley of "Nimrod's Son" and "The Holiday Song" are split into three different tracks, so they have those little gaps between sections. They should have just encoded the whoile thing as one long song, as that's obviously how it was meant to be listened to.

Still, minor quibbles, and the price is kinda fair, I guess. I've NEVER bought an MP3 before, and doubt I would ever do it again unless it was an official. soundboard product of this nature that the artists received compensation for and that sounded so fine.

It is shitty they don't offer a way to preview the quality of the tracks.

Anyone who is serious about buying one of these shows can Private Message me with their e-mail address, and I'll be glad to send you one of the tracks as a sampler so you can decide if you want to spend the money on the whole concert.

I'm assuming all the gigs sound comparable.

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

cross morris
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  04:20:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If these are proper mp3's, and not encumbered by stupid Digital Rights Management, I think this is an excellent idea.

While I'd never pay money for mp3's (when I pay for music I want some physical object), this is a step in the right direction. Digital Rights Management only hurts those who actually pay for the music, not the pirates.

Total kudos to the Pixies for embracing digital music in a very cool way!

Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  11:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know enough about Digital Rights Management issues to be sure if these are so encoded or not.

I have yet to try and burn them to anything off of my hard drive. I'll let you know.

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Triakel
- FB Fan -

119 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2004 :  07:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far, I have purchased/downloaded two Pixies concerts from MusicToday - 10/06/04 Nashville and 10/20/04 Austin. (http://stores.musictoday.com/store/dept.asp?dept_id=3628&band_id=792)

Both sets are encoded at 320 kbps, not the advertised 256. Downloads were smooth and fairly speedy over a cable internet connection. To settle one poster's question: You CAN burn these files to CD-R.

Sound quality is good-to-excellent. Not as good as the DiscLive recordings I've heard, but certainly on par with many commercial recordings and better than most bootlegs.

I have a fairly standard sound card in my computer and a set of midrange Sennheiser headphones. With this set up, the sound seemed a little muffled compared to recordings I've ripped from CDs at 192 or 256 using LAME. The drums and bass sometimes melt into each other and are not as distinct as one might hope. Same effect using my computer speaker/subwoofer set-up.

I burned the MP3s to CD-R and tried them on my midrange component stereo. Unsurprisingly, the sound improved. My tower speakers are several feet apart and that seems to have made the difference. Not exactly Deutsche Grammophon impressive, but not at all bad.

Regarding the quality of the shows, I can recommend Austin. It appears to have been recorded in a small venue (Stubbs BBQ) and is similar to the Minneapolis show in feel. Haven't listened enough to point out highlights.

Nashville so far seems lesser, maybe 6 of 10 stars. A few songs were sloppy (larger venue?), though I caught some funny repartee between Kim and Frank.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000