Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1034 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2024 :  11:39:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, let's get started (again) and contemplate what could/should be encores. Like I think I have said before, a simple but very enjoyable option would be the entire orange/yellow album. But I guess it will be very unlikely given its length.

Having Lyle Workman there, I really woudl appreciate something of COR - although technically it really is the first FB&TC album, I consider it as half imperial period as well. Actually, it is a transitionary album. Also, Nick Vincent playd drums and bass on one song on it, and Men in Black was a TOTY b-side. So tying it to TOTY is not so far off.

Anyway, narrowing it down to 10 potential encore songs from the first three albums, these would be my picks:

Los Angeles
Brackish Boy
The Marsist
Village of the Sun
At the end of the world
Ten Percenter
Parry The Wind High, Low
Tossed (with original chorus lyrics)
Don't ya rile 'em
You aint me

What would be your picks?

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Go to Top of Page

The Maharal
= Cult of Ray =

990 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2024 :  13:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it'll just be TOTY and Los Angeles. Maybe Czar. The album is over an hour long and I imagine BF will be in a chatty mood like he was for the Trompe/Bossanova shows, so can't see there being too much room for much else.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3083 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2024 :  03:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe WIMM?
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
965 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2024 :  06:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your setlist, although I imagine if anything it'll be the TOTY era b-sides?

Oddballs
At the End of the World
This is Where I Belong
Amnesia (never heard!)
Hate Me
Men in Black (likely closer)
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
893 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2024 :  07:54:31  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

I like your setlist, although I imagine if anything it'll be the TOTY era b-sides?

Oddballs
At the End of the World

Would lose my shit if this happens
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
893 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2024 :  07:55:30  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Maybe WIMM?

Would murder everybody around me if this happens.
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
953 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2024 :  10:29:05  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Murders aside, does anyone need/want 3x tickets to the Feb 4 show in Paris? No charge, just giving them away (going to a San Francisco show instead).

Edited by - matto on 10/02/2024 10:29:33
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1034 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2024 :  11:24:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:

Maybe WIMM?

I second that.

A Pixies-free evening, please.

Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1034 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2024 :  11:25:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

Oddballs
At the End of the World
This is Where I Belong
Amnesia (never heard!)
Hate Me
Men in Black (likely closer)

'Amnesia' live would be fantastic!! And how could I forget 'Hate Me' - this has to be included!!!

Edited by - two reelers on 10/02/2024 12:38:12
Go to Top of Page

The Holiday Son
= Quote Accumulator =

France
2005 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2024 :  21:58:30  Show Profile  Visit The Holiday Son's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last song of the set has to be Annoucement.
Any other choice would be a huge disapointment.
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3083 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2024 :  02:08:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

quote:

quote:

Maybe WIMM?

I second that.

I will probably be standing next to you guys at the show so try not to murder me if possible
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3083 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2024 :  02:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Holiday Son

Last song of the set has to be Annoucement.
Any other choice would be a huge disapointment.

This would be absolutely amazing

Truthfully any songs from that era would be so appreciated

In my dreams I’d have him do 3-4 different songs from all his eras at each show, no one knowing what could be next
Go to Top of Page

Skatealex1
* Dog in the Sand *

1657 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2024 :  12:50:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

quote:

quote:

Maybe WIMM?

I second that.

I gotta imagine Frank might enjoy the opportunity to play a show without WIMM, that Pixies play at maybe every or just about every show.

Personally MIB as a closer would be cool to hear. Down for any FB era songs though. A couple from self titled could be neat too.

Edited by - Skatealex1 on 10/07/2024 22:37:04
Go to Top of Page

Sprite
* Dog in the Sand *

1284 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2024 :  13:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Maybe WIMM?

I'll be beside you shouting No Kim No Deal
Go to Top of Page

sdon
= Cult of Ray =

France
782 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2024 :  12:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matto

Murders aside, does anyone need/want 3x tickets to the Feb 4 show in Paris? No charge, just giving them away (going to a San Francisco show instead).

Oh yes, I'd be glad to !
I missed it when tickets went on sale
If it still holds, don't hesitate to DM me

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Go to Top of Page

ricj
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2024 :  13:40:18  Show Profile  Visit ricj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd like to see ETIGAH as closing song. I think he closed with that at (certain?) shows in 93?
Go to Top of Page

matto
= Cult of Ray =

USA
953 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2024 :  05:59:32  Show Profile  Visit matto's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdon

quote:
Originally posted by matto

Oh yes, I'd be glad to !
I missed it when tickets went on sale
If it still holds, don't hesitate to DM me

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"

-done-

Edited by - matto on 10/09/2024 14:01:23
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
893 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2024 :  08:25:27  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ricj

I'd like to see ETIGAH as closing song. I think he closed with that at (certain?) shows in 93?

????

Can we not do the acronym thing to this degree?? What song? I'm sorry this is such a pet peeve for me in so many facebook music groups I'm in. I never know what anybody is talking about.
Go to Top of Page

ricj
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2024 :  10:26:45  Show Profile  Visit ricj's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, it's Every Time I Go Around Here. I don't usually subscribe to the whole acronym thing but it is a very long song title!
Go to Top of Page

Bedbug
> Teenager of the Year <

3083 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2024 :  06:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the acronym thing, helps my old brain get some exercise and stave off Alzheimer’s

Anyone want to comment on how much labor this is for Frank to dust off 20+ old songs from 30 years ago and get them live performance worthy? I’m not a musician, but I know if I haven’t strummed a song in awhile it takes some effort getting it back. I can’t imagine what TOTY must be like (correct me if I’m wrong)
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
893 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2024 :  07:22:16  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Anyone want to comment on how much labor this is for Frank to dust off 20+ old songs from 30 years ago and get them live performance worthy? I’m not a musician, but I know if I haven’t strummed a song in awhile it takes some effort getting it back. I can’t imagine what TOTY must be like (correct me if I’m wrong)

Interesting question.

It's a lot of work. But I have no idea what that work is like for someone at Frank's level where music is a full time job.

When I had a band I wanted to do at least two or so new songs each show because I had such a huge backlog of songs. Even to learn two new songs and feel confident to perform them meant a lot of practices and tons of repetition, doing them over and over.

At the same time, if you're working with amazing musicians, you don't even need to practice that much. I've had drummers where they seem to get a song instantly but I've also had those same drummers struggle with specific songs where we have to do it over and over.

Our practices would usually be 2 hours long and we'd get to practicing maybe 10-12 songs (my songs are really short though)? Like doing those songs multiple times until we feel good about them. Or at least good enough to move onto the next song and try again next practice.

So as this is a full time thing, and they're all professional musicians, maybe they could get the entire album learned in a few days? Or is that way too short a possibility?

I don't know, anyone else want to take a guess?
Go to Top of Page

Stevio10
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1107 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2024 :  07:39:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been wondering how he would feel about performing Speedy Marie. He's a pro for sure but it must be strange to revisit a personal song from that era.
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
893 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2024 :  09:53:46  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

I've been wondering how he would feel about performing Speedy Marie. He's a pro for sure but it must be strange to revisit a personal song from that era.

Considering him and Jean recorded a song about their own divorce, he's probably well equipped to take it on.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6142 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2024 :  11:00:18  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Maybe Jane (TNTTZC) is also about her?

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1034 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2024 :  13:52:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Interesting question.

[..]

I don't know, anyone else want to take a guess?

Well, my guess is that Frank is an old-fashioned showbiz horse in the best sense. This is just what he always wanted to do, and what he is doing since almost 40 years. "I write songs, I record them, I go on tour and play them. That's all."

I doubt he/they have particular difficulties doing that album. I mean, the other FB group did Bossanova and Trompe Le Monde live, with a new bassist, without a single flaw. And those songs are not particular easy to pull off correctly, given their sound and timing.

Also, listen do Dog In the Sand (the album). Consider the scope, the variety and quality of the songs, the sound - and then consider further this has been recorded live to two-track. Still puzzles me today.

Those people just know what they are doing, and they have abundant talent, and a most professional attitude. So, I don't think there will eb any noteworthy challenge to them.

Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2024 :  12:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey folks, I just wanted to pop on and say that I have recently heard from a very reliable source that the chances of hearing ANY Pixies songs on the TOTY tour is "nil."

This will be a show devoted strictly to the early FB solo era, celebrating the songs recorded and/or performed live back in the day by this particular batch of musicians.

Hope you all are staying safe, healthy and well.

--

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6142 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2024 :  12:30:41  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Why on earth would anybody want to hear a Pixies song on a TOTY tour?

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
893 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2024 :  17:21:53  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You'd have to be completely insane.
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
653 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2024 :  17:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Why on earth would anybody want to hear a Pixies song on a TOTY tour?

I know, right?

That's absolutely bewildering to me.

You can hear the actual Pixies do that, dozens of times a year, throughout large swaths of the globe...

I want every minute of the terribly short time this amazing amalgamation of musicians are on stage together to be taken up with them playing nothing but the timeless, hitherto lost music they helped create with FBF three decades ago...

--

Go to Top of Page

two reelers
* Dog in the Sand *

Austria
1034 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2024 :  02:08:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

Hey folks, I just wanted to pop on and say that I have recently heard from a very reliable source that the chances of hearing ANY Pixies songs on the TOTY tour is "nil."

This will be a show devoted strictly to the early FB solo era, celebrating the songs recorded and/or performed live back in the day by this particular batch of musicians.

--

Thank god.

Can you illuminate us if your source gave some hints if/what songs from other albums (Orange/Yellow, COR) may have a chance of being included in the song list?

Go to Top of Page

Troubles A Foot
= Cult of Ray =

USA
893 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2024 :  07:31:01  Show Profile  Visit Troubles A Foot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Personally, I don't want "spoilers" about the setlist. I'd love to be surprised at the show.
Go to Top of Page

Brank_Flack
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
965 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2024 :  08:37:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter radiator

--

Excellent news, thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000