Growers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  11:10:07  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address
Anybody else find Frank´s albums to be growers? I find w/ a new record I like half say and am not really keen on the rest but find myself singing them at some stage. Possibly testament to depth, different songs affecting you at different stages. Not just ear wallpaper but I spect you all know that.

--
"You one of those right wing nut outfits?" inquired the diplomatic Metzger.
Fallopian twinkled. "They accuse us of being paranoids."
"They?" inquired Metzger, twinkling also.
"Us?" asked Oedipa.

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  13:40:49  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
That's excatly what I think about Frank's songs. He's a very weird and complex artist in classics like "The Cult of Ray" (a bunch of different sections with odd meters and changing vocal melodies and a ton of chord changes) or "Parry the Wind High, Low" (the coda is quite quirky). Though he's gotten into a more rootsy, classic rock position, songs like "This Old Heartache" and "Ludwidshafen" are still quite weird. And when things are weird, it takes longer to get because it's brand new to your mind. On the first listen to many Frank songs, I knew that it'd take some time before I'd be able to whistle them while I work or get them caught in my head. Frank's songs are catchy, but they take several spins to catch. So Yeah, a bunch of songs and albums grew on me. "robert onion" and "Jesus was Right" are songs for example.....I get those songs in my head now, but when I first heard them, they just weren't there yet.

Tim, the only one who laughs
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  16:14:31  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
Yeah, that's definitely how I feel about a lot of Frank's songs. It takes a while for me to realize the true genius behind them.

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
http://vovat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

martha_promise
= Cult of Ray =

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  16:17:23  Show Profile
I think that this is sometimes a litmus test for really good stuff. Music that is easily digested usually doesn't have the staying power that a lot of Frank's music does. Of course the exception seems to be SMYT's.

~~Polly-ann drove steel like a man~~

Edited by - martha_promise on 02/11/2004 16:18:23
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  16:37:02  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
I don't know how often this is true and how often it isn't. There's certainly quite a bit of music that I enjoy right away and continue to enjoy it for years afterwards.

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
http://vovat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  16:38:55  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Well, Frank himself said "you're never going to like one of my damn records if you only listen to it once".

The album that was a "grower" for me was Black Letter Days - at first I was like "eh, I dunno..." but now it's my absolute favorite.

"Music does not drag me down. Music lifts me up." - Frank Black
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  11:10:03  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address
He said that? Cool.

--
"You one of those right wing nut outfits?" inquired the diplomatic Metzger.
Fallopian twinkled. "They accuse us of being paranoids."
"They?" inquired Metzger, twinkling also.
"Us?" asked Oedipa.
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  13:25:49  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
Yeah, he also said "It's difficult to take someone like me. I'm not the kind of musician whose records you play once and put away."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000