New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

humpy-wheeler
- FB Fan -

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  23:09:46  Show Profile
Is it me or do any of you think Frank is at the point of his solo career where he has way more good songs than he is able to play in his traditional hour/hour and a half set? I knew you would all agree so don't you think he should for go the Pixies stuff (and I love the Pixies catalogue as much as anyone)and add a few more of his own tunes? It's nice, I guess, that he plays them for some of us (myself included)who never saw the Pixies when they were around but there is something weirdly uncomfy about seeing bands rehash the catalogue of one of their earlier bands. Anyway, just a thought-I'm interested to hear some opinions.

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  23:34:37  Show Profile
I think he can play whatever he wants as long as it's brilliant. I do personally miss hearing stuff like "Two Spaces", but I did get to hear those once upon a time, so it's probably better that the repertoire does not get stale or static, which it hasn't. I wouldn't want to see him drop the Pixies tunes entirely, cause I think it's cooler for someone in his position to be relaxed about his past work, as opposed to "I will not play my old songs"- for instance I think it'd be cool for Malkmus to drop one or two Pavement songs into his regular sets, not out of nostalgia, but because they are good songs that he wrote, and playing them presents a nice well-rounded kind of show.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  00:46:08  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
I read in an interview with Malkmus when he just gone solo and he said
I think I will play one or two pavement songs in my shows

"I joined the Culf of Frank/ And now I do not know what...to do"
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  12:43:48  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
I don't enjoy the Pixies tunes as much...maybe because some of his song selections aren't my favorite. Back during the BLD/DW tour, I was hoping to hear more of the new material than anything else. Cactus was great, Gouge was great, and Crackity Jones was great...maybe if he just played different songs I wouldn't mind as much.

"I joined the Cult of Clops / If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye open."
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  13:47:17  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
yes I had a topic like this awhile back
so you can say I'm with you humpy wheeler
I'm not against pixies songs
I just don't want to hear the same pixies songs over and over again
I can hear FB over and over again though

"I joined the Culf of Frank/ And now I do not know what...to do"
Go to Top of Page

Annie_The_Frank_Ho
- FB Fan -

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  23:49:10  Show Profile  Visit Annie_The_Frank_Ho's Homepage
Let's focus on the positive, friends. Take in a deep breath, and upon exhaling, let all of those negative Pixies emotions leave with the oxygen. Okay, now that you want to stab me, here's my list of Pixies songs I want to see live (whether by the Pixies, or FB & the C's):

1. River Euphrates
2. Dead
3. Hey
4. Baileys Walk
5. Wild Honey Pie (the only good Beatle is a dead Beatle)

Also want to hear 'Pong', and 'Suffering' by FB and the C's.

Hey Catholics, come play at my house. I want Frank to touch my Telecaster. Seriously, I want him to play a song on my guitar.

-Hannah Rae @ Bipolar Audio

and their sons became (they might be)giants, everyone
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  05:55:03  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Annie_The_Frank_Ho

Let's focus on the positive, friends. Take in a deep breath, and upon exhaling, let all of those negative Pixies emotions leave with the oxygen.
Is it alright if I let mine out with carbon dioxide?

I'm ok with the Pixies songs anyways....I just don't know what his motivations for playing them are...is it because in most audiences many people scream at 'em to play Pixies songs? If so, that kinda sucks. I wonder if it distracts him from his current work.

Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom": Øder tis moodle in der noggin tu smacken der ouchey und vinger-slingers ur to smacken-backen und fix de morkin, yøobetcha!
Go to Top of Page

Apesy
= Cult of Ray =

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  08:47:56  Show Profile  Visit Apesy's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by humpy-wheeler

so don't you think he should for go the Pixies stuff (and I love the Pixies catalogue as much as anyone)and add a few more of his own tunes?

Why does everyone seem to dismiss Pixies' songs as not being Frank's? The guy wrote them. They are his own tunes. If he wants to play them, he has every right to.

Do people complain when he plays Catholics' songs at a solo show?

-=Apesy

Edited by - Apesy on 12/30/2003 08:49:32
Go to Top of Page

Annie_The_Frank_Ho
- FB Fan -

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  20:17:02  Show Profile  Visit Annie_The_Frank_Ho's Homepage
The oxygen leaves with my breath, earthling. Was hoping that someone would catch that.

and their sons became (they might be)giants, everyone
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  20:44:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Apesy

quote:
Originally posted by humpy-wheeler

so don't you think he should for go the Pixies stuff (and I love the Pixies catalogue as much as anyone)and add a few more of his own tunes?

Why does everyone seem to dismiss Pixies' songs as not being Frank's? The guy wrote them. They are his own tunes. If he wants to play them, he has every right to.

Do people complain when he plays Catholics' songs at a solo show?

-=Apesy

good point

Join the Cult Of Gunn / and you'll never need a hair stylist again"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000