New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Homers_pet_monkey
= Official forum monkey =

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  15:01:52  Show Profile
My local video shop openly rents out videos that are not for rental. they even have stickers on them that state 'Not For Rental' as well as having an announcement at the beginning saying that they are not for rental. Some are legal, but a lot are not.

Now here is my dilema, which I have been mulling over the last few times I have been there. Should I shop him in to the authorities (no reward if you do, so they are relying on people's honesty there), continue to turn a blind eye OR (and maybe I have been watching too many of his films here) bribe him for money? The owner is loaded 'cos he has other shops elsewhere and his house is one of the best in my town. he doesn't look like he could punch his way out of a paperbag and I am a blue belt in Chinese kickboxing so I doubt I am in danger.

The thing is I don't think my conscience will allow me to do it, although oddly it will allow me to turn a blind eye (probably 'cos I have been known to buy copied CD's before now).

So come on guys, tell me what I want to hear (whatever that is)!!!

Hansel and Gretel have formed a band, .....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Breadcrumbs!!!

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  15:17:23  Show Profile
Why does this bother you? I'd think you'd have a better use for your time.

"Join the Cult of Will Hung / And have no regrets"
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  15:39:37  Show Profile
Because I am honest enough to admit it, here you go. 'Cos this guy is rich from illegal activity and so I guess I want some of what he has got for myself. Envy is a terrible thing, which I recognise enough to realise I won't actually end up doing anything about it, but I just wondered what all you lot would do (which I am guessing would be exactly the same - nothing).

Having said that, after watching all those appeals at the start of each film (I got 3 out this weekend) about piracy supporting terrorism, I am kind of going off the idea of piracy now and thinking that instead, i should report him to FACT (Fedaration Against Copyright Theft). But I really hate grassing.

So Dear Susan, what should I do?

Hansel and Gretel have formed a band, .....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Breadcrumbs!!!
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  15:51:29  Show Profile
I don't know how things are in the UK, but over here the RIAA and MPAA would just love a society where people report their neighbors for the pettiest of copyright violations. They want to be the only ones allowed to steal from the artists they represent. Screw 'em, I says.
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  23:39:52  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
you are talking about extortion here.for what i know in terms of law it's much worse than copyright violation.he could turn you to the police with the difference that he would risk a fine for copyright violation and you would risk jail.
another thing.if i'm not wrong even if some videos have the "no rent" stickers it is legal for a store to rent them if they pay the copyrights as rentals and not as sold copies.

join the cult of errol\and you can have a beer\without having to quit smoking
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  10:48:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mun chien andalusia

you are talking about extortion here.for what i know in terms of law it's much worse than copyright violation.he could turn you to the police with the difference that he would risk a fine for copyright violation and you would risk jail.
another thing.if i'm not wrong even if some videos have the "no rent" stickers it is legal for a store to rent them if they pay the copyrights as rentals and not as sold copies.

Thanks!!! That has put my mind at rest. I can ignore the matter now!!!

Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  10:49:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mun chien andalusia

Thanks!!! That has put my mind at rest. I can ignore the matter now!!! I mean I was never gonna blackmail him, that was a joke third option really. I just wondered if I should bother shopping him, but as you say, it is probably legit!!!

Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  14:38:57  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
Eh, none of those options is violent enough for my taste. Couldn't you just bash in someone's head with a crowbar. The shop owner's, the authorities', the rightful copyright holders', your own...it doesn't much matter, as long as there's some crowbar-assisted head-bashing going on!

Join the Culf of Buttoms / Just in time for the Poxies reunion!
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  14:42:32  Show Profile
I am ashamed for laughing so much at something so violent!!!

Go to Top of Page

gracie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
573 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  08:55:30  Show Profile
Just burn down all of his stores, and that big house!
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  10:39:31  Show Profile
They have kids, I don't want to kill them if that's all the same with you.

Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  13:58:50  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
If it were me, i'd just keep signing him up for free tampon samples in the mail.

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page

Homers_pet_monkey

United Kingdom
17125 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  14:09:58  Show Profile
Especially if they were used!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000