New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chrischob
- FB Fan -

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  14:54:46  Show Profile
The Walker Theatre is downtown while the airport is on the west side of the city. I'll list the pros and cons of each and you can decide:

Hotels by the airport:
The hotels by the airport are close to an area of the city called Polo Park which has a big shopping centre, lots of big box stores (like best buy) and a Silver City movie theatre. The hotels are cheaper out here too I think but on the downside you either have to catch a cab or bus to downtown. From Polo Park to downtown is 5-10mins when its no rush hour. With rush hour, maybe 20mins. There are a few bars pretty close by Polo Park too.

Hotels downtown:
You are close to the venue but farther from the airport. There is a mall downtown (Portage Place) but I think it still closes early on weekenights. Downtown is kinda a graveyard afterdark. There are quite a few bars in market square which is close to the Walker most everything else is closed. Downtown is good during the days. The Forks is close to downtown though and is the 'thing' for tourists to see. Theres a few good restaurants there and lots to see.

I would recommend a hotel by the airport personally especially if you are flying here. Winnipeg is pretty easy to get around (but confusing at first). You really wouldnt save anything on cab fare by staying downtown.

Its not up to me though so whatever you guys decide. If you could reply with how many nights you need and how many rooms and maybe what you are willing to pay or if you want a pool or something.

One thing to remember, Winnipeg is a non-smoking city now. You cant even smoke in bars. You can smoke outside though and bars have separate padios for smoking but April isnt always warm.

Chris Choboter

Qris
- FB Fan -

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  15:30:06  Show Profile  Visit Qris's Homepage
Repeat from BC thread:

Downtown: Lois Riel is definately a good one at that price. Charter House is a small one across the street that is newly renovated and I understand to be a great value (both 5 mins from BCT). If driving i would push the Norwood which is a nice locally owned hotel in the French side of the city. Too far to walk to the theater but a quick drive... and it puts you near the forks and and a really nice walking/eating area. Not sure pricing now but used to be a great price.
Norwood, Louis Riel, Charter House would be the first three calls I made if I didn't already live here.
For proximity to the theater Ramada Marlborough and Delta Radisson (a little pricey) win. They are a 30 second walk from the theater (maybe a minute tops). Anything listed as downtown winnipeg is really close as the theater is right in the middle of the city. And we ain't New York.
Hope you enjoy your stay!

Hotels to avoid: any with a Main Street address other than the new very nice Hampton. Main Street has all the skanky ones.
Go to Top of Page

Kyle
- FB Fan -

14 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  16:11:34  Show Profile
I personally would be against any of the airport hotels. They are way out in the middle of nowhere. The closet I'd stay to the airport would be the viscount. Right across the street from Polo Park Shopping Centre and a $10 cab ride to the venue. Personally I think,90% of the time, the bus system in winnipeg Sucks!
I think your best bet is down town. You can walk its reasonably safe. At night you could walk to an area called Osbourn Village or Corydon to hang out in bars/cafes/pubs. And during the day there is more then enough to do.
If you need more advice E-mail me.
Kyle
Go to Top of Page

chrischob
- FB Fan -

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  18:21:44  Show Profile
You are right about the airport ones being in the middle of nowhere, I meant more the polo park area.

What about the Clarian hotel by Polo Park? I know someone who knows the owner of it so I think I could get a decent price there.

If you stay downtown, you'd still need a cab to goto Corydon and Polo Park isnt much further from Corydon then Downtown.

Chris Choboter
Go to Top of Page

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  22:07:45  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address
Is the Ivy House hostel anywhere close to the theatre?
Go to Top of Page

gunner
- FB Fan -

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  06:04:40  Show Profile
The Ivey House hostel is on Maryland about a block from Portage Avenue. Any bus you catch on Portage heading downtown would be about a ten minute ride to Smith street. Portage and Smith is about a 5 minute walk to the theatre.
Go to Top of Page

gunner
- FB Fan -

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  07:22:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kyle

Personally I think,90% of the time, the bus system in winnipeg Sucks!

I disagree. The bus system in Winnipeg only sucks if you are NOT going downtown. Most of the bus routes take you to the centre of the city. The Burt is about as close to the centre of the city as you can get. Anybody staying at a hotel on a major bus route can get downtown quite quickly and cheaply. I think bus fares are less than $2.

As for pre or post show gatherings. I strongly recommend the King's Head Pub. They have a members only policy, but anyone can buy one at the door for $5. They have great food, and fine British and Canadian Ale. Plus the King's head is only a two minute walk from the venue.

I do have to warn you though, they have a very dry sense of humour. At a theatre festival this past summer, and American performer, who found himself getting blitzed every night drinking Canadian beer asked the bartender at the King's Head for a beer that was more like an American beer. The bartender served him a glass of water....lol.

Feel free to post any other questions you like about Winnipeg. I'll try and answer them for you.
Go to Top of Page

gunner
- FB Fan -

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  18:59:09  Show Profile
I just saw a commercial on TV for the Holiday Inn at Winnipeg Airport. They were advertising a FREE 24 shuttle service for people who stay there so they can see the city. Might be worth looking into for some of you who are flying in.
Go to Top of Page

pixiesarethegreatest
- FB Fan -

10 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  18:39:01  Show Profile
As posted in a previous thread I would recommend not staying in any hotel on Main street north of portage ave. Even though the prices are cheap these are rooming houses and are not very accomodating.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000