Listening to the Pixies on the road
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

offerw
* Dog in the Sand *

South Africa
1264 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  23:58:15  Show Profile  Click to see offerw's MSN Messenger address
Yarbles mentioned in another thread that he was listening to the Pixies while doing a 6 hour drive to Boise.

I believe that listening to the Pixies on the road is one of life's great pleasures. I remember driving down to Cape Town through the Karoo( a semi desert in South Africa) with Motorway to Roswell blasting through the speakers. Being alone in this unfamiliar landscape with this incredible song providing the soundtrack was one of the greatest headrushes I've ever had.

Anyone has something similar to share?

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  01:59:56  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address
My friend and I were driving down the Pacific Coast Highway from LA to San Diego (which that alone is cool to me, since I'm from South Dakota) and some radio station put on Where Is My Mind. Though it's not my favorite Pixies song, it was just the fact that I was crusing along in a fan-fucking-tastic landscape listening to the Pixies when I didn't even put them on the stereo. I loved that. Besides that I made a series of mixed tapes that catalogued all of the Pixies, Frank Black to date (this was made pre-Catholics) and Breeders, likewise. It was just several 100 minute tapes of all the songs in alphabetical order. I would listen to those tapes in my car only taking them out for the occasional listen to Key Lime Pie or some TMBG here or there. But nothing compares to those tapes to me.

"And her head has no room."
Go to Top of Page

Manny
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
252 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  07:37:23  Show Profile  Click to see Manny's MSN Messenger address
When I was 11 I drove around Prince Edward Island during the summer with my brother and mother. We listened to Bossanova the whole time... the summery feel of the album mixed so well with the season. Such great memories.
Go to Top of Page

yarbles
= Cult of Ray =

USA
577 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  08:58:17  Show Profile  Visit yarbles's Homepage
That most recent drive of mine to Boise will forever be burned in my head. First of all, it was pure excitement about actually getting a hold of Pixies tickets that kept me going, and there were a lot of things that could've made me turn around in my tracks. It was 3 AM when I started, so you'd think sleep would overtake me, but the combination of caffeine and excitement kept me going. And all the Pixies tunes kept me going, starting with the Purple tape CD on to Come on Pilgrim through Trompe, then B-sides, BBC, Death to. For about an hour the drive turned treacherous, it started snowing so bad I couldn't see 10 feet in front of me. I had to go 30 MPH and hope I wasn't driving off the road. Soon all the other cars had turned off the freeway, so it was only me, and I was a bit worried - no more tracks to follow. I saw a couple other brave souls who had slid off the motorway, but I couldn't stop. The songs really helped me going, like the "Stormy Weather", "the Happening"(the end part about driving to a destination and forgetting about the circumstances around you, they've come so far, i'ved lived this long, I must just go and say hello.....) "Letter to Memphis" (tryin' to get to you....). Anyway, it was really a scary situation out there alone with horrible conditions, knowing that if something happened I'd be stuck out there in the Idaho dessert turned blizzard all alone. But the music drove me on, I made it there, and I am the proud owner of tickets to see the best band in the world in a venue of the smallest sort...it was all so worth it, and one of the most exciting days of my life.
Go to Top of Page

mattb
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
474 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  17:50:44  Show Profile  Visit mattb's Homepage  Click to see mattb's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Manny

When I was 11 I drove around Prince Edward Island during the summer with my brother and mother. We listened to Bossanova the whole time... the summery feel of the album mixed so well with the season. Such great memories.

The pixies are great summer music. When I was 15 in Europe my doolittle tape was always on. Everytime I listen to Doolittle it always reminds me of that.

-----------------------
http://www.geocities.com/kittridge1/
Go to Top of Page

George42
- FB Fan -

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  09:34:34  Show Profile
good topic. a couple years ago, i remember listening to trompe le monde and doolittle on a eurail trip from Bordeaux to Nice to visit a girlfriend. that is a vivid memory that i am quite fond of.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000