New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2004 :  23:33:50  Show Profile
Does anyone know which amps Frank & the boys are known to use? I am aching to buy a good tube amp to replace my solid state/not-even-worth-turning-on-the-distortion/roland amp.

Useyourname
- FB Fan -

185 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  01:38:11  Show Profile
I believe Frank uses a Vox AC-30.

jimmy
Go to Top of Page

nimrod_fr
- FB Fan -

France
93 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  06:30:06  Show Profile
Frank uses Vox Amp
Two AC30HW Head & Cab...

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/ac30/ac30hwHeadAndCab.htm

Dave Phillips plays on two old Vox AC30

Edited by - nimrod_fr on 02/07/2004 06:32:33
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  10:45:34  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
oh god if you can afford an AC30 you MUST BUY ONE
i have a fender twin reverb 65 reissue that i like a lot
or if you want to spend under 1000 and still get tube the fender hot rod deluxe or deville also sound pretty cool

-miked
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  10:50:45  Show Profile
I have a 70's super reverb which I absolutely love and I wouldn't use anything else. You can find them very easily in great condition for under $1000. Actually, mine only cost me like $600 in full working condition with original speakers and everything

Join the Cult Of Gunn / and you'll never need a hair stylist again"
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  10:59:29  Show Profile
The AC30 is definitely more than I can/want to spend. I saw some info on a Rivera Amplifier site that said you can get an AC30 sound from them. Still, they are $1200-$1800, I think. The Fender amps--do you have to use a pedal for extremely overdriven sound, or can you get that from the amp itself. I'd like to have versatility for moderate crunch and a lead type of sustaining sound.
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  11:27:57  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
well the deville has a distortion channel. i woudlnt get the twin reverb if you are really looking for overdrive. for some weird reason it doesnt have a master volume control so in order to get it overdrived you have to turn it up to like 9 or 10 which is incredibly loud.

-miked
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  06:29:45  Show Profile
Super, have you checked ebay? you can sometimes find great deals on amps (and of course sometimes everything seems overbid, so it's a 50/50 shot). I got a '68 bassman off ebay for $400 about a year ago.

I used to be STITCHES, but I'm alright now
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  06:55:55  Show Profile
I'll definitely check that out. I'm still undecided on what to get. A friend of mine is building a bassman. He got the wiring schematics and is building the board and the cabinet and everything. His friend built another older Fender amp and was happy with how it came out. I'm really intrigued by these Rivera amps I saw online. I'm going to go check them out this week, although the cost is somewhat prohibitive for me.
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  22:26:03  Show Profile
Super, have you checked ebay? you can sometimes find great deals on amps (and of course sometimes everything seems overbid, so it's a 50/50 shot). I got a '68 bassman off ebay for $400 about a year ago.

I used to be STITCHES, but I'm alright now

I had tried ebay searching by "guitar amplifiers" instead of just "amplifiers"--huge difference for the better! Lots of good stuff. Anyone played any Mesa Boogies?
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
- FB Fan -

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  08:07:34  Show Profile
Yeah, I have a Mesa Boogie Rect-o-Verb. You can't go wrong with Mesa Boogie, although some of their amps are more versatile than others. Pricey though. Harmony Central has very good user reviews of amplifiers which may be helpful to you.

I think for a beginning or even intermediate guitarist who wants to play with others (meaning drums) you will need a 50w to 100w amp. It may be more cost-effective to buy a cheaper, louder solidstate amp (always cheaper than tube) and put a distortion pedal in front of it, rather than get a small amp that you can't hear (like a Vox AC-15). Your average listener can't tell the difference between a solid state and boutique amplifer, although guitarists perseverate over tone. One of the sweetest set-ups I played through was a solidstate Roland JC-120 with a distortion pedal in front of it. You can get those pretty cheap used.
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  08:36:16  Show Profile
actually, a solidstate amp isn't really louder....a 30w tube amp is about comparable with a 60w solidstate amp if I recall correctly

a Spike Lee Joint
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  08:40:01  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
Nobody using Marshall? My VS-100 rocks, 3 channels, Fx loop, direct out, headphone jack, etc.. What really impresses me was how good the clean channel sounds, I did not like the clean on earlier valvestates. Dick Dale to Tony Iommi as fast as you can hit the footswitch. Only 1 12" speaker, so it's nice and light. If you need to move more air, theres a jack for an external cabinet. At $255, this ones a steal- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3702946262&category=38075

Cookie, yea those Rolands are nice too. Used a JC-60 for a long time, with a Foxx Tone Machine for crunch...

The Cult of Frank: Currently freezing our collective @#%*#%@'s off.

Edited by - Steak n Sabre on 02/11/2004 12:23:48
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
- FB Fan -

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  13:14:48  Show Profile
What I was trying to say, not very clearly, is if you're not going to have your small tube amp miked up and pumped through a PA system (i.e., if you're in a typical garage band) it's probably better to get a solidstate amp so you can hear yourself over the drums. Watt for watt the solidstate amps are a lot cheaper.

I remember something about relative loudness of tube vs. solid state amps, but I thought solid state/transistor amps were louder at the same wattage. If anyone could enlighten me on this point, I'd appreciate it.

Go to Top of Page

Cookie
- FB Fan -

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  14:03:55  Show Profile
I did a google search and looked at a few pages (unclear how authoritative) but the consensus is that the decibel level is the same, but the tube amp will sound louder because of the natural compression and richer overtone series produced by the distorting tube amp. Hope I didn't hijack the thread uselessly but I thought this would be helpful info.

Haven't heard of the Foxx Tone Machnine. My favorite distortion pedal was my first one--some no name Japanese pedal I got (?NeXt). It was a miracle when I put it in front of my 4 W Montgomery Ward amp. I would have quit playing without that thing.
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  14:21:12  Show Profile
I have a JC120, and that is what prompted me to start the thread. The clean sound is beautiful, but I was never satisfied with the distortion, and I never liked my Boss "Heavy Metal" pedal very much. Maybe a better distortion pedal would be a workable fix, but I am totally selling myself on buying a tube amp. I don't know if a pedal is capable of the same tones that Frank and the guys get through their AC130's.(Not that my playing wouldn't also be a weak link, but I think a good tube amp would really go a long way toward a great sound.)
Steak--I'm interested in the Marshalls as well. I tried an AVT50 Valvestate which was pretty good, but I don't have enough other tube amp experience to put it in reference. Friday will be my day off work to go try some Marshalls, Fenders, and a Rivera.
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  14:26:03  Show Profile
I'm from the opposite school of thought, Super. I think a musician's technique makes the biggest difference. If he/she is a good musician, he/she can make even the cheapest equipment sound passable. I've yet to see many examples of it working the other way around.

a Spike Lee Joint
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
- FB Fan -

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  17:19:15  Show Profile
If you got the bucks, get a tube amp. The "feel" is different at higher volumes and high gain settings, and that is inspiring to me, although I'm not sure the audience will notice a huge difference. If you're into buzz saw guitars, I don't think Fender tube amps will do it--I would say Marshall or Mesa Boogie.

I agree that technique is most important, but a passable guitarist banging out barre chords through a Marshall amp will really get your toes tapping.

Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  11:04:04  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
Cookie- I googled 'foxx tone machine' and there are quite a few links for them...

happy hunting Superabounder...

The Cult of Frank: Currently freezing our collective @#%*#%@'s off.
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  13:53:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cookie

I agree that technique is most important, but a passable guitarist banging out barre chords through a Marshall amp will really get your toes tapping.

All a musician needs to get someone's toes tapping is to be able to play in rhythm. I'm talking about a musician really amazing the audience. That's very RARELY because of the equipment, and not the skill

a Spike Lee Joint
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
- FB Fan -

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  04:56:59  Show Profile
Agreed mcmikey. I was really thinking of something like the Ramones--not terribly complicated, not virtuoso, but played in time through good equipment (Mosrite guitar and Marshall amp).

SteaknSabre--that Foxx Tone Machine looks very nice. Some real devoted followers.
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  06:43:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cookie

Agreed mcmikey. I was really thinking of something like the Ramones--not terribly complicated, not virtuoso, but played in time through good equipment (Mosrite guitar and Marshall amp).

that I'll agree with

a Spike Lee Joint
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000