Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

steveplymouthuk
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  08:03:44  Show Profile  Visit steveplymouthuk's Homepage
Is the US version worth all the extra?

I can afford either, but its a hell of a lot more money.

What's your opinion?

Cheers, steve

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  09:10:59  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
HI, STEEEEEEEEEEEVEEEEEEEE!

Sorry, I have no opinion on this. I just wanted to yell hello

"Music does not drag me down. Music lifts me up." - Frank Black
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
- FB Fan -

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  09:20:59  Show Profile
Well, the easy answer is try both but that's not always possible, I know. If your a beginner who wants to play a little guitar and you're not sure how much effort to invest in learning, the Mexi-Strat should be plenty adequate. Particularly so if you're on a tight budget and don't have an amp yet. I personally think the amplifier/effects used matter more than the guitar as long as the guitar is playable.

On the Fender forum (FDP forum) you can read up on Mexi-strats. Many folks buy these and add better quality aftermarket pickups and hardware, producing a fine guitar. However, this results in a total cost that is about the same as the American Standard Strat. Some folks love personalizing their guitar, though.
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
- FB Fan -

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  09:22:59  Show Profile
Whoops. Substitute Tele for Strat--the advice is still the same.
Go to Top of Page

steveplymouthuk
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  09:32:56  Show Profile  Visit steveplymouthuk's Homepage
Well I've had a Jackson and a Takamine electro acoustic for a few years now, but I've always wanted a tele. Personally the differences seem minimal to me, but its more than likely I'm missing something, cos I've only tried other people's. I was just wandering if anyone had taken the decision one way or the other, and whether it was the right guitar for them?
Cheers cookie

Yes I'm back i think em. Its not how I left it. Its a bit claustrophobia inducing. Good to see you here anyway em
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  09:38:43  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
M-WAH!
Go to Top of Page

steveplymouthuk
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  09:43:58  Show Profile  Visit steveplymouthuk's Homepage
Aww babes you make me
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  10:24:06  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
i have a us tele. i cant say ive played a lot of mexican ones, but i like mine a lot. it sounds great, it looks great, it feels great. i think its probably worth it if youre serious about guitar, you might as well get a professional guitar you can keep forever. if you get the mexican, youll have upgrade someday

-miked
Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  09:09:00  Show Profile
They don't make Jap strats or tele's anymore, right? Oui or non? I have a jap strat. Would love to get a double fat tele like the man used to play back in the day. Clunka-clunka.
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  20:50:21  Show Profile
I also own a Japanese Strat (took off the kahler Trem and replaced it myself with a Wilkinson Vintage trem) and yes they still make Jap Fenders.. but only for the Japanese market (during the 80s Jap Fenders were made for export as Fender did not have a US factory for a time..

Mexican Fenders suffer from one problem that I have noticed and thats the neck pocket.. where the neck is bolted to the body.. it may have too much room around it allowing the neck to move inside the pocket. You shouldn't be able to put a piece of paper between the neck and the body in the pocket. Just make sure you are comfortable with the craftsmanship (craftsmachineship?) on the guitar before you buy it.

I once killed a boy with a Fender guitar
Go to Top of Page

Cookie
- FB Fan -

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  04:39:08  Show Profile
Re: humbucker-equipped teles. I saw in a recent circular from Musician's Friend a recreation of the '72 dual-humbucker equipped Nashville Tele for aroun $1000. They do make "fat" teles still as well, around the same price point.

If you like Fenders, I recommend G&L guitars (Leo Fender's last company). For about 1000-1200 bucks you can get a guitar with quality comparable to the Custom Shop Fenders, at about half the price. I have an ASAT deluxe (HB-equippped) that I am very happy with.

For people on a budget the Tribute series from G&L (made in Korea) has got great reviews in the guitar mags, and they run around 300-500 dollars.
Go to Top of Page

steveplymouthuk
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  04:55:12  Show Profile  Visit steveplymouthuk's Homepage
Well, I got myself a Mex tele this morning, and its wonderful. No neck problem, beautifully made. I love it. sounds beautiful.
I'm super happy
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  10:43:46  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
i thought you couldnt afford either?! more importantly, what colour?

Ai ai ai ai / Hey Sandy!
Go to Top of Page

steveplymouthuk
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  16:43:51  Show Profile  Visit steveplymouthuk's Homepage

Here's my new baby.
I said I can afford either. I'm going to spend some money on recording bits and bobs.

Possessions can lead to happiness.
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  04:40:00  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
oh yes. stupid me. hmm, i see no picture....

Ai ai ai ai / Hey Sandy!
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  19:36:07  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address
I have a Mexican Tele, and I have to say that I like it more than an American. It has more crunch and bite to it. Probably because it reminds me so much of the Black-Francis-guitar sound. I'm not sure if he always used American or not, but I think mine sounds a lot like it. I love the way it plays, too. At a recent performance a blind guy in the audience came up to me after the show wanting to know what kind of Tele I had. He refused to believe that it was Mexican, because it played so nicely. I may just have a mutation in the chain of Mexican Teles, but either way it's a great guitar. I love American Teles, too. But if I had to choose between the two I'd go for Mexican. HOWEVER, this may apply only to me. You may not be as lucky with your choice. Either way, get a Tele.

"And her head has no room."
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  20:19:48  Show Profile
Anyone have any luck finding a Canadian Tele?

"Join the Cult of Reunion / And start a thread that will get locked."
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  21:43:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ProverbialCereal

Anyone have any luck finding a Canadian Tele?

How about a Belizian Tele?
Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  06:19:06  Show Profile
Well, Steve, I know you already got your Mexican Tele, but this may help someone else. I was at the guitar store the other day when a guy returned his US Tele because he said there was not enough difference between it and the Mexican one he already had to justify the expense. I bought a used American Tele 2 weeks ago from a friend who said they sound basically the same, but that the American version is finished out a little better-the hardware is not as sharp, frets maybe a little more polished, feels a little softer on the hands. I personally like the badge on the base of the neck that says Corona California. Reminds me of Corona beers I used to associate with in earlier days
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000