Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2004 :  20:56:43  Show Profile
from Pitchforkmedia.com

Pixies, Radiohead, Kraftwerk Confirmed For Coachella Fest in May
Neutral Milk Hotel, Velvet Underground, Howard Dean tentatively booked for second night
[Posted Wednesday, January 14th, 2004 18:00:00 Pitchfork Central Time]

Will Bryant reports:
Radiohead, Kraftwerk, and The Pixies are among the headlining acts who have now confirmed appearances at this year's Coachella festival in Indio, CA, according to reports from Billboard and MTV. The May 1, 2004 date marks the first official booking of the reunited Pixies lineup, first reported to MTV by an unnamed source last September, though it is as yet undisclosed if the Coachella show will be the band's first public appearance since disbanding in 1993.

Prior to this afternoon, the only confirmed acts for Coachella 2004 were Prefuse 73, Air, The Thrills, Electric Six, Sahara Hotnights, and (International) Noise Conspiracy. With today's announcement, you can expect the quality of the other announced bookings to rise exponentially over the coming days. The two-day festival will be held May 1st and May 2nd at the Empire Polo Fields in Indio, CA, just outside of Palm Springs.

As previously reported, the Pixies lineup is expected to be the original foursome of Frank Black, Kim Deal, Joey Santiago, and David Lovering (though, the band must be begging Eric Drew Feldman to come along, or some permutation of that scenario). 4AD are releasing a Pixies DVD containing all of the band's videos, a complete live show, and the documentary Gouge, as well as a brand-new "retrospective compilation" CD-- both of which should be out in time for full-on Pixiesmania. The Trio cable network is currently airing the Gouge documentary this month, which features interviews with Radiohead's Thom Yorke, David Bowie, PJ Harvey, and many others on the enduring influence of the Pixies.

In addition, Billboard reports that Frank Black is currently preparing a new solo release for spring 2004 via SpinART, though nothing more is known about that at this time. Black's last release was a download-only EP released via iTunes, as reported by Pitchfork last month.

The Radiohead booking is expected to be a one-off appearance in North America, as the group have booked very few live appearances for 2004 thus far (there are standing engagements of four nights each in Japan and Australia in April) and have been recording-- more on that in tomorrow's newswire.

The Coachella booking marks a fifth North American appearance for the kommissars of krautrock; the rest of the band's extensive world tour is detailed in the story immediately below.

.: Pitchfork News: Pixies To Reunite For Tour In April 2004; New Album Possible
.: Pitchfork News: Pixies To Open For Red Hot Chili Peppers This Summer?
.: Pixies: http://www.4ad.com/artists/catalogue/pixies
.: Radiohead: http://www.radiohead.com
.: Coachella: http://www.goldenvoice.com/coachella
.: Trio: http://www.triotv.com

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  00:02:33  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
new solo release eh? spring 2004 eh? thats not too far at all!

-miked
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  05:06:16  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Do you reckon it's another studio album? Surely releasing another studio album half a year after SMYT is pushing it even for Franks standards..... obviously I'd be delighted if it was a new studio album. I reckon though it's a b-sides album, or maybe even a live one. It's great being a Frank Black fan!

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page

oddball
- FB Fan -

Germany
232 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  05:46:19  Show Profile
yeah, i dont know when he would have had the time to complete an entirely new solo album...this is really exciting news though. Hopefully someone as more information about the album? I guess the "retirement" speculation is completely out of the question now!

Erik
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  06:37:23  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
retirement speculation.... have I missed something???

Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  06:41:41  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
not really...
just some people speculating that Frank might announce his retirement at that DIY Convention.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
cook me some fucking eggs!
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  06:53:01  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Why would someone think that??? Man that would be seriously bad if he did that! What is the DIY convention??

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  06:55:24  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Check out this thread, Stu. I was supposed to write up a news item for it over a week ago but... oops.

http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4739

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  08:22:12  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
Sarah confirms that SpinArt is 'shooting for an April release, a double CD'. That's all the info they've got for now, but there'll be more soon.

Bob Allen at Cooking Vinyl says that they 'have an FB release penned in for – possibly April – BUT this is Black Francis demos. Not an entirely new thing.'

Great news anyway.

Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  08:29:51  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
double cd! whoooo! so it's likely that it's the frank black demos thing? or do you reckon it sounds like 2 different projects? wasn't the demos thing supposed to be a double cd anyway?

~~~
I'm flat out, you're so beautiful to look at when you cry. Freeze, don't move, you've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequal to your life. Shady Lane, everybody wants one, Shady Lane, everybody needs one.
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  08:33:19  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
wow...i cannot wait to hear these black francis demo's.....

it's gunna be a fucking mega fb/pixies year!

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
Go to Top of Page

Frog in the Sand
-+ Le premiere frog +-

France
2715 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  08:54:26  Show Profile  Visit Frog in the Sand's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by bumblebeeboy2

double cd! whoooo! so it's likely that it's the frank black demos thing? or do you reckon it sounds like 2 different projects? wasn't the demos thing supposed to be a double cd anyway?

Sounds to me like 2 different things... but you may well be right.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  08:55:51  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
There was talk, originated by Jop I think, about a pre-Pixies demo being underway a few months back. I guess that this is at least part of it...

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  17:52:52  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
A double cd sounds tasty.....

Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  18:38:31  Show Profile
Maybe it's that live thing they have on the Sonic Unyon site

Join the Cult Of Gunn / and you'll never need a hair stylist again"
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  03:29:35  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
my father actually came up with the black francis demo thing
he read it in a uk magazine
When I first talked of this, months ago, it was really an uncertain thing. But now it's gonna happen for sure! I don't know what I'm so excited about, the reunion or the double releases of FB!

"I joined the Culf of Frank/ And now I do not know what...to do"
Go to Top of Page

Joel kilbride
- FB Fan -

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2004 :  16:33:59  Show Profile
Does anyone know where to get FB tour info?
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2004 :  20:56:10  Show Profile
Right here on this site. He's currently not on tour

Join the Cult Of Gunn / and you'll never need a hair stylist again"
Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2004 :  10:55:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by benji

not really...
just some people speculating that Frank might announce his retirement at that DIY Convention.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

HOGWASH.
it looks more like he's just strting to get serious about this
music thing.

ol' MacDonald sittin' on a bench...
Go to Top of Page

frankblackphx
= Cult of Ray =

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  09:05:54  Show Profile  Visit frankblackphx's Homepage
No way Frank is announcing his retirement. In one of the interviews just posted he talks about making an album every year for quite some time. I can't rememeber which interview that was. Does anyone?

I got me so down I got me a headache.
Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  11:15:26  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address
I second frankblackphx's last comment. He said in another interview recently that he's a troubadour, like Bob Dylan. Some people are just meant to do something their whole lives, and making music is what he'll be doing for the rest of his. This is paraphrased, because I read it a long time ago, but that's the nuts and bolts of what he said. Retirement? I'd put money on NO. Of course, the man can change his mind.

"And her head has no room."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000