Frank Unplugged
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

explosivo316
- FB Fan -

22 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  21:38:48  Show Profile
Being fairly new here, I'm not sure if this has ever been covered, but I was just wondering how many of you have had the chance to see FB perform acoustically? A few years back I got to see him at a record shop called Electric Feutus in Minneapolis before seeing Frank and the Catholics play a live show later on. And honestly, I got a lot more out of the solo acoustic show. Not to say I didn't enjoy the full band, because I did. It's just that the intimacy, along with the fact that when only competeing with an acoustic guitar you REALLY get an appreciation of how well frank can sing. I really enojoyed seeing Frank more by himself stripped down, in a crowd of about 100, than I did in a loud club with about 600+. Any thoughts?

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  00:43:53  Show Profile
for me the experiences, while both fantastic, are too different for me to pick which i like better.
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  06:04:15  Show Profile
The only frank black related show I've ever been to was a solo-acoustic in-store appearance. I was about 2 feet away from him and it was absolutely incredible, but I think given the choice I'd rather see the Catholics especially since I've never seen them before.

Join the Cult Of Gunn / and you'll never need a hair stylist again"
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  09:17:15  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
I'll take Frank any way he chooses to present himself. And like CAB said, they are really very different and it's hard for me to compare them. The accoustic shows are certainly more intimate though, especially b/c when I saw him accoustic it was in one room that only held 50 people.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  11:13:22  Show Profile
I've seen him twice doing solo acoustic. I enjoyed those shows immensely. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I liked it a little better than full-on electric.
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  13:10:14  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by BLT

I've seen him twice doing solo acoustic. I enjoyed those shows immensely. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I liked it a little better than full-on electric.

You're getting old.

http://psychictwin.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  16:30:07  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by PsychicTwin

You're getting old.

Tell me about it. I found my first gray hair last week. No kidding.
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  16:53:33  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
You should dye your hair like I do - then you will never know when the gray attacks!
Go to Top of Page

Newo
~ Abstract Brain ~

Spain
2673 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  02:26:17  Show Profile  Click to see Newo's MSN Messenger address
He played acoustic in Vicar Street in Dublin last year. I'm out of the country pretty much permenantly but friends told me he tore the place up.

--
"You one of those right wing nut outfits?" inquired the diplomatic Metzger.
Fallopian twinkled. "They accuse us of being paranoids."
"They?" inquired Metzger, twinkling also.
"Us?" asked Oedipa.
Go to Top of Page

BPrend
- FB Fan -

92 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  10:41:20  Show Profile
i saw him to an instore before a full catholics set this march. i enjoyed both, but i enjoyed the full band set more. i was right in front for both, though.
Go to Top of Page

mrgrieves1971
= Cult of Ray =

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  13:18:58  Show Profile
In addition to seeing him this past May solo acoustic, I also saw him solo as Black Francis back in 1991. He came out, put a Gibson Les Paul on and said "Shhhhhhhh ..... solo acoustic show." Then he kicked into Crackity Jones as if the whole band was behind him. While now it appears he will conform the song to the solo acoustic type arrangement, back then he just wailed away on his electric as if he was playing with the band. Both different. Both cool.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000