New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2003 :  19:09:25  Show Profile
I really need a decent mic for about £100 ($150?) or less. I've heard a lot the SM57/58s, but I'm not sure. I know someone who has a 57 and he said that the vocals it's pretty bad. And the 58, designed for vocals isn't really what I want, because I need one for instruments too. So I'm not really sure. Anything to say about the SM57/58s? Any other microphones to reccommend?

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2003 :  21:09:49  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
A condenser or a dynamic?
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  01:24:48  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
uh you can defintily record vocals with a 57 with success. you can also record instruments with a 58. The difference between the two is pretty small, mainly the 58 has that ball/filter thing on the front which i guess is better for vocals, and has a slightly different frequency range (correct me if im wrong).

Heres the deal though, youre only looking to spend less than 150 for a mic which tells me that you arent trying to make studio recordings (no offense, no one can afford all that) so i would think an sm57 (or 58 but i think i like 57 better) would be more than fine. Plus they are only like 70 bucks so you can have extra money to buy a preamp and cable. Now if you already have a preamp and junk, and really have 150 to spend on just a mic, then check out some low level condensers for sure. its 4am and i cant think of any specific ones, but if you want me to ill look some up. hope this helps

-miked
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  07:01:52  Show Profile
hah, no offense, just doing crappy bedroom recordings. i think i'll just get an sm57 and look into a preamp and stuff... er... any preamps to reccommend? lol. i don't mind spending a bit of money, but i don't want something stupidly expensive because it's such high quality because i'm only jsut starting out and i probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway :D just a standard, decent one.
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  08:26:14  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
i've just got one myself actually, doing pretty much the same as you, i'm not aiming for 'robbie williams' type recordings, just good enough to sound decent enough, demo quality, if not a little better (certainly a higher quality than the moldy peaches!)... the one i got was http://www.dawsonsonline.com/acatalog/dm_00050484.htm it's a Behringer Ultragain MIC10, has a limiter, gain, and a few other things, it has a mic input and output (xlr) and a 1/4" input and output, so it works fantastically as a 'middle man' between your mic or guitar or whatever and your soundcard, or mixing desk, or amp, or whatever. haven't actually plugged the baby in yet, but for the price and what it does, i'd say you can't go wrong! there was a thread here about home recording or home studios, that i started, there's some good advice in there and i'll probably post in there over the next couple of days and let you all know what this preamp thing is actually like.

~~~
I'm flat out, you're so beautiful to look at when you cry. Freeze, don't move, you've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequal to your life. Shady Lane, everybody wants one, Shady Lane, everybody needs one.
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2003 :  18:59:26  Show Profile
hey, when you get an sm57, does it usually come without a lead? like a XLR to 1/4"? (and would that be female or male on the lead?)

Edited by - PixieSteve on 12/28/2003 19:03:23
Go to Top of Page

miguel
- FB Fan -

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  22:07:31  Show Profile  Visit miguel's Homepage
Hey bumblebeeboy.. the moldy peaches came from here.. port townsend Wa originally. I bought a basket ball from them right before they moved to new york! That's hilarious.

"..and I work hard just like a butt spitfire.. I'm just doin' well like a burley key car..."
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  05:10:34  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by miguel

Hey bumblebeeboy.. the moldy peaches came from here.. port townsend Wa originally. I bought a basket ball from them right before they moved to new york! That's hilarious.

"..and I work hard just like a butt spitfire.. I'm just doin' well like a burley key car..."

hehe! cool! are they that big over there? i mean in indie circles? they've got quite a cult following over here. was a fantastic live show when i saw them, during who's got the crack he jumped into the crowd, lost his cap, and started singing who's got my cap... but who knows, maybe he does that at every show?

often i'll start humming a tune to myself and i'll think, who the hell is that by? such a catchy song? it'll take a while but then i'll realise it's the moldy peaches... fantastic album that.

~~~
I'm flat out, you're so beautiful to look at when you cry. Freeze, don't move, you've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequal to your life. Shady Lane, everybody wants one, Shady Lane, everybody needs one.
Go to Top of Page

miguel
- FB Fan -

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  22:49:24  Show Profile  Visit miguel's Homepage
I don't know if they're still going or what. I've seen one of there videos on MTV a couple of times.
The lead guy went to NY and kind of set up shop, setting up a base and then the rest of them eventually met up there. That's what Kimya, I believe her name is, said.

Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  00:12:29  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

hey, when you get an sm57, does it usually come without a lead? like a XLR to 1/4"? (and would that be female or male on the lead?)

you need one of those barrell adapters, cost you about 20 bucks to go from xlr to quarter inch. its male xlr (i guess its male, it sticks out even though it recieves the pins) to male quarter inch, there shouldnt be much confusion though if you ask someone at the store and look at it.

-miked
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  12:48:12  Show Profile
:s i ordered a lead which is female XLR to quarter inch mono. i'm sure that's right though... the thing is i don't think it's a proper mic lead, as in not specially for mics. i found "mic cables" difficult to find on the internet, and the nearest music shop is annoying to get to and expensive (i got the mic £20 cheaper from the internet). well... i'll be fucking pissed off if i got the wrong lead because it's taking bloody ages to come.
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  09:04:01  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
Buy an SM57 and an ART Tube MP mic pre and you'll be all set. To record good vocals on the 57 either sing off axis or make yourself a pop filter using a nylon and an embroidary hoop.

XLR to 1/4" will work as long as it's XLR female to 1/4" male. Cable is cable. It passes current from one thing to another.

"Join the Cult of Frank / or The Clops gets it!"
Go to Top of Page

STITCHES
= Cult of Ray =

USA
915 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  09:06:32  Show Profile
that's not exactly true, atheist. I wouldn't ever run my guitar into my amp using 1/4" speaker cable, but for Steve's purposes, you're correct

------------------------
ALL I NEED IS THE AIR THAT I BREATHE,
AND TO LOVE YOU
Go to Top of Page

STITCHES
= Cult of Ray =

USA
915 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  09:10:03  Show Profile
that's not exactly true, atheist. I wouldn't ever run my guitar into my amp using 1/4" speaker cable, but for Steve's purposes, you're correct

------------------------
ALL I NEED IS THE AIR THAT I BREATHE,
AND TO LOVE YOU
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  15:04:42  Show Profile
got it today, all good!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic