New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  18:06:37  Show Profile
I've heard alot of you mention cakewalk before, so what's the deal with it? I saw cakewalk for 30 bucks at best buy. But there is one in musicians friend for 300. Are there different versions of cakewalk, and which one do guys have? Cuz if the one for 30 bucks is the one you guys are talking about, I'll probably get it. But I'm thinking there is a more expensive one.

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And you'll get an eighties Monster Ballad CD just for joining"

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  20:00:53  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
haha yah im pretty sure thats not the right one. cakewalk isnt really any more amazing then any other program. it focuses more on midi if youre into that. im pretty sure they stopped making cakewalk anyway, well changed it to Sonar which is more for all around recording. I hear sonar is good but its gonna cost you plenty im sure. If you like making scores in midi, get the 30$ cakewalk, but i wouldnt otherwise.

-miked
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  20:21:38  Show Profile
I figured...

Fortunately, I am working on getting a degree in MIDI Recording. I'd like to compose MIDI scores for movies someday. I think it will revolutionize music in films. Who needs a full orchestra anyways?

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And you'll get an eighties Monster Ballad CD just for joining"
Go to Top of Page

miguel
- FB Fan -

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2003 :  03:19:16  Show Profile  Visit miguel's Homepage
I just watched a deal on tech tv about this guy who makes midi ringtones. What a job..

"... it's a pill, that gives worms... to exgirlfriends.. you just don't get it"
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2003 :  18:35:48  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Yeah, Cakewalk is pretty much dead. It's been the trailing recording software for a while.

Cubase SX2 is very good, MIDI-wise.
Go to Top of Page

blackx
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  13:59:50  Show Profile
try cool edit pro. you can download it for free on kazaa.
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  17:01:18  Show Profile
Wonder how many megabytes that is...

Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  17:49:12  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
its 25 or so

-miked
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  20:20:31  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
I like how people no longer mention the cost of software...they just say pick it up on Kazaa. As much as I...er...support? piracy...I feel dirty when other people talk about it.

"I joined the Cult of Clops / If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye open."
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  20:40:55  Show Profile
I'd feel kinda cheap downloading something like that.

::START/PROGRAMS/KAZZA/SEARCH cool edit pro/DOWNLOAD::

Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  22:40:04  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
What?

I started off with Cakewalk which came with my Soundblaster a million years ago..

~4yrs ago i started playing with Cubase 4 that a friend sent me...then CubaseVST...i bought CubaseVST/32 and SX (as well as other proggies like WaveLab).

If i hadn't been able to play with Cubase in the first place, it is very unlikely i would have ever spent the $2000+ i have on them.

I have no problem with someone playing with it in their bedrooms, and small artists who can barely afford a computer using it. If you're starting to make some decent coin from your music production (which still isn't me) then i think you should buy it.

There's no way Steinberg or whoever is 'losing' money in these situations. They really have only the potential to gain. (Unless they dropped their prices down to $60 or something ridiculous like that.)

The really amusing thing is i'm using a hacked copy of SX2 because my dongle for SX has malfunctioned..haha
Go to Top of Page

bflat
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  14:37:25  Show Profile
Get Cubasis instead which is watered down version of Cubase the industry standard midi sequencer. It has everything you need and is a fraction of the price of the full professional software.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000