819 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  14:03:55  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage
Culled from the pages of The Edmonton Journal, February 11, 2004
Americans upset they've been left in Pixies' dust
Sandra Sperounes
Journal Music Writer

Winnipeg? Edmonton?

What the hell?

That's been the gist of international press and fan reaction to the Pixies and their decision to start their reunion tour in Western Canada. The alt-rock gods are scheduled to play Red's on Sunday, April 18. Ticket info is not yet available.

Billboard.com reports the band's tour "will visit such unusual locales as Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and Boise, Idaho" while Pitchforkmedia.com says there's a "once-in-a-lifetime chance to see (the) band play Caribou to actual caribou." The writer, Will Bryant, also can't spell, referring to the Manitoba capital as Winnepeg.

"Though undoubtedly more popular - and indeed, heard of - in populated areas, the reformed Pixies are blazing a decidedly road-less-travelled itinerary for their 12-date North American tour," Bryant writes.

Several American fans are less polite in voicing their disappointment on Internet message boards.

"Dammit (sic) all to hell," writes spunXtain on www.frankblack.net. "American fans are getting royally screwed. There go my dreams of seeing the Pixies, they will NEVER play anywhere NEAR Kentucky, where I am from."

"I feel cheated," says gk128. "I cancled (sic) pre-orders for video games to buy tickets and now I may never get to buy a pair."

The Journal tried to contact the tour's promoter Tuesday to ask why Canadians are so lucky, but to no avail.

In any event, scandalized American fans should give it a rest. The Pixies will extend their tour.

Nothing is ever something.

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  14:07:59  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address
That's some funny (sic).

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  14:18:49  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
hahaha.nowadays we should watch our language before posting here.you never know who's watching(reading).my congratulations to spunXtain for his press appearance,his rant at least made some effect.

join the cult of errol\and you can have a beer\without having to quit smoking
Go to Top of Page

mcmikey
= Cult of Ray =

799 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  14:21:41  Show Profile
Thomas, I think you misunderstand what (sic) means.

I think the writer just wanted an excuse to use spunxtain's username in the article. I can't blame her, it's funny

a Spike Lee Joint
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  15:04:36  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
I thought the playing Caribou to caribou bit was quite funny, and an intriguing suggestion for the single from the Best Of...

"I joined the Cult Of Strachan/Cos Hoddle just ain't right!"
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  15:12:21  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Good observation McM, although perhaps he was simply trying to post a joke.

Hilarious article tho, i've forwarded it to friends. =)

Join the Cult of the Flying Pigxies - I'm A Believer!
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  15:20:30  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Hah! Wow...that's crazy. Even more press for fb.net. Cha-CHING.

"Join the Cult of Brit / And let your oral hygiene go out the window."
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  15:39:28  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

Good observation McM, although perhaps he was simply trying to post a joke.

Hilarious article tho, i've forwarded it to friends. =)

i don't know if it was a joke or not but i would like to see one of my useless comments on a newspaper.scripta manent you see...
jokes apart i'm glad that this site gets the attention that it deserves as a frank black\pixies fan voice

Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  15:44:40  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
You say that, but I don't know if I'd want someone called spunxtain to represent my opinion to the wider world...

"I joined the Cult Of Strachan/Cos Hoddle just ain't right!"
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  15:51:14  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
i know.you wanted MY opinion to represent you.better luck next time.i'll try my best to post witty rants.

Go to Top of Page

guy_nolan
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  16:05:58  Show Profile  Click to see guy_nolan's MSN Messenger address
does the writer get what spunxtain actually means?

For ten thousand years he slept, his mind feeding on the nightmares of the weak. Now he has awakened. As the night turned crimson, the fire-blade shattered and his power died. Then, the slaughter began...
Go to Top of Page

fumanbru
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
1461 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  16:06:04  Show Profile
i would of liked to see the author use floop's quote. "i can't fucking believe how lucky you Canadian motherfuckers (pardon my french) are.. Jesus christ." that would have been funny.

"I joined the Cult of Frank/ and I got a free t-shirt with this dude on it."
Go to Top of Page

rdrossjr
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  17:22:49  Show Profile
I think that it's pretty obvious why the Pixies chose 11 "unusual locales". And it has nothing to do with Canadians being lucky. They were probably just trying to avoid the exact frenzy that is inevitably going to unfold anyways when tickets go on sell. They want some low stress shows to "warm-up", as the tour has been dubbed, so that they can get back into the groove before playing monster stadiums. At least they will still be protected by the limited seating and only play to smaller crowds for the warm-up. I'm cool with that as long as they don't self destruct again before I see them. That still won't stop me from trying to go to Canada though.
-roger.

Edit Note: Changing user name to Picapiedra.

Edited by - rdrossjr on 02/15/2004 14:28:33
Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  19:40:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rdrossjr

I think that it's pretty obvious why the Pixies chose 11 "unusual locales". ..... They want some low stress shows to "warm-up", as the tour has been dubbed, so that they can get back into the groove before playing monster stadiums.

-roger.

Yes
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  00:50:08  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
i think it is no coincidence that the write chose spunXtain's rant when he could have chosen 20 others which said essentially the same thing, but without the interesting nick.....
but then, why did he choose gk128? ah, yes, the video-game reference....

but yes, very amusing..

"I joined the Cult of Frank / I think that man deserves a DB!"
Go to Top of Page

EdBudd
- FB Fan -

63 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  08:34:49  Show Profile
Here is my e-mail to the Edmunton Journal(letters@thejournal.canwest.com):

This is to Sandra Sperounes "Journal Music Writer":

"In any event, scandalized American fans should give it a rest. The Pixies will extend their tour." You give it a rest Sandra! This is the first tour in 11 years and real fans love the nastalga of seeing the first show on the reunion tour. I wonder if you have ever really cared about anything let alone music since your a "Journal Music Writer"? If you dont like the gripe dont go to www.frankblack.net and read the fourm posts...its a simple as that. It is a good way for us Americans to vent. Do you know the reason why the pixies are not playing more shows in the U.S.? Is it because there are stipulations on where, when, and how many shows that a band may play in the U.S. that apply to playing large festivals like Cochella? Do your homework like a good journal writer.

Regards,
Wida Wake
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  09:24:54  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
I think the point that was being made is that we never complain about being passed over time and again for things like this. In fact, we expect to be passed over because it happens so often. So when we finally do get something, it's sort of newsworthy. And when the people (the US in particular) who we always see getting these great shows are complaining that they're not on the list, well, I'm sure you can imagine.

I was prepared to make a roadtrip to California if I had to, to see the Pixies. I've already made one to Portland to see FB a few years back because I thought they'd never come here. That's a looooong way from where I live, probably three days full of driving one way, or an expensive flight. I didn't complain. Beg, yes. Complain, no. We just expect it. So for once we get to host someone and not travel halfway around the world.

I'm rambling, I guess what I'm trying to say is that a lot of this "What?! Not New York/Toronto/large city of choice" seems a little like the fat man complaining about the starving man getting some food tossed his way. Even though I'll be the first to admit I was initially expecting a first-stop Boston/Vancouver sort of thing.

EDIT- To clarify further, I fully understand someone being dissappointed/upset that the Pixies are not (at the moment) confirmed anywhere near them, it's more the complaining that they are playing near us I guess. Which has been pretty minimal, to be honest.

Also, wasn't gk128's quote referring to Brixton or has my memory gone sour?

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 02/12/2004 09:33:23
Go to Top of Page

EdBudd
- FB Fan -

63 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  09:31:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

I think the point that was being made is that we never complain about being passed over time and again for things like this. In fact, we expect to be passed over because it happens so often. So when we finally do get something, it's sort of newsworthy. And when the people (the US in particular) who we always see getting these great shows are complaining that they're not on the list, well, I'm sure you can imagine.

I was prepared to make a roadtrip to California if I had to, to see the Pixies. I've already made one to Portland to see FB a few years back because I thought they'd never come here. That's a looooong way from where I live, probably three days full of driving one way, or an expensive flight. I didn't complain. Beg, yes. Complain, no. We just expect it. So for once we get to host someone and not travel halfway around the world.

I'm rambling, I guess what I'm trying to say is that a lot of this "What?! Not New York/Toronto/large city of choice" seems a little like the fat man complaining about the starving man getting some food tossed his way. Even though I'll be the first to admit I was initially expecting a first-stop Boston/Vancouver sort of thing.

<bitting my lip> cause this goes way past not getting good shows. I will be in Canada. 1100+ miles (dont know how many kilometers). Have you ever been to Thunder Bay? That would be a great place for a show!

regards,
Jake (friend of The Fat Man)
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  09:38:38  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Don't get me wrong, I completely understand this is a one time thing and the Pixies no less. I hope they make it to Michigan (or closer than Winnipeg) for you and that everyone here gets the chance to see them.

I have been to Thunder Bay, nice place, though I didn't go into any clubs there.

Edited by - Cult_Of_Frank on 02/12/2004 09:39:59
Go to Top of Page

EdBudd
- FB Fan -

63 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  09:43:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

EDIT- To clarify further, I fully understand someone being dissappointed/upset that the Pixies are not (at the moment) confirmed anywhere near them, it's more the complaining that they are playing near us I guess. Which has been pretty minimal, to be honest.

Also, wasn't gk128's quote referring to Brixton or has my memory gone sour?

gk128's and others' quotes are pretty funny. Its great to see the forum in the paper!
Go to Top of Page

mattb
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
474 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  12:42:55  Show Profile  Visit mattb's Homepage  Click to see mattb's MSN Messenger address
I just found this article and was going to post about it but good I found this thread first. Here's a link to in cae anyone wants to see it
http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/story.asp?id=C987768A-6E46-4780-AF51-61BC6A5F710F
Go to Top of Page

EdBudd
- FB Fan -

63 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  12:56:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by EdBudd

Here is my e-mail to the Edmunton Journal(letters@thejournal.canwest.com):

This is to Sandra Sperounes "Journal Music Writer":

"In any event, scandalized American fans should give it a rest. The Pixies will extend their tour." You give it a rest Sandra! This is the first tour in 11 years and real fans love the nastalga of seeing the first show on the reunion tour. I wonder if you have ever really cared about anything let alone music since your a "Journal Music Writer"? If you dont like the gripe dont go to www.frankblack.net and read the fourm posts...its a simple as that. It is a good way for us Americans to vent. Do you know the reason why the pixies are not playing more shows in the U.S.? Is it because there are stipulations on where, when, and how many shows that a band may play in the U.S. that apply to playing large festivals like Cochella? Do your homework like a good journal writer.

Regards,
Wida Wake

Heres her reply:

Wow.
Do you really think, what with all the money the Pixies stand to make, that
they won't extend their tour in America?
So you might have to wait until 2005 because of Coachella policies.
You've waited this long, what's another year?

Music Writer
Edmonton Journal
(w) 780.429.5348

Again, its about the money and NOT the true fans. This is the problem with the way these "media types" think.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  15:43:56  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
They're more than likely going to tour the US in the fall.

"Join the Cult of Brit / And let your oral hygiene go out the window."
Go to Top of Page

gk128
- FB Fan -

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  17:20:53  Show Profile
Wow Canada has made me a star.

However I was complaning about there being no East Coast shows in the US. I just hope we get some gilmmer of hope soon. The first of the games comes out March 11th.

Edited by - gk128 on 02/12/2004 17:21:39
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  17:44:40  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Hey gk128 - watch your mouth. The media exists only to confuse and distort reality.

=P

Go to Top of Page

gk128
- FB Fan -

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  17:56:39  Show Profile
I actually find the quote funny. Infact I just spent the last 20 minutes hunting down the papers online article to print it out.

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/archives/story.asp?id=C987768A-6E46-4780-AF51-61BC6A5F710F
Go to Top of Page

penis tree
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  18:48:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gk128

I actually find the quote funny. Infact I just spent the last 20 minutes hunting down the papers online article to print it out.

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmontonjournal/archives/story.asp?id=C987768A-6E46-4780-AF51-61BC6A5F710F

Gamekid, you're my hero.

:funone:

Going to see the Pixies at T in the Park, July 10th.

w00t.
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  20:52:53  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Penis tree?? Oy.

"Music does not drag me down. Music lifts me up." - Frank Black
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  21:13:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ramona

Penis tree?? Oy.

"Music does not drag me down. Music lifts me up." - Frank Black

Make like a penis tree, and ...

Join the Cult of Jim / And receive a set of Teletubby reunion tix
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  23:44:39  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage
I declare the above the new champion for best signature.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

jo
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  04:07:37  Show Profile  Visit jo's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Cheeseman1000

I thought the playing Caribou to caribou bit was quite funny, and an intriguing suggestion for the single from the Best Of...

heh, except there's no single accompanying the Best Of...

your sig just made me laugh - but only cause I love Glenn...

as for this article, how funny? haha!
Go to Top of Page

hibster
- FB Fan -

102 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  08:27:31  Show Profile  Visit hibster's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by benji

i think it is no coincidence that the write chose spunXtain's rant when he could have chosen 20 others which said essentially the same thing, but without the interesting nick.....
but then, why did he choose gk128? ah, yes, the video-game reference....

but yes, very amusing..

"I joined the Cult of Frank / I think that man deserves a DB!"

am surprsied the writer didn't use the old "gk128 must be well narked" pun, but maybe that's just an english word that doesn't translate...

this is why events unerve me
Go to Top of Page

MMD
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  08:55:58  Show Profile
Hmm, I think you know, that (sic) means they know that the word has a spelling mistake and that it's a direct quote so that people don't write in and go haha you spelt 'Damnit' wrong.

“Not since Orson Welles had one man so many fingers in so many pies, and been the chef as well. And then looked like he went and ate them all. The guy was out of control.”
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  11:09:27  Show Profile
Man, EdBud, if you're going to insult a writer, you should try to limit your letters to 5 spelling/grammar errors or less.
Go to Top of Page

cirrus2000
- FB Fan -

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  14:32:16  Show Profile
First post on the forum. This is kind of fun.

Love the article. Love the quotes. Love the usernames. And Itchload, you are so right.

Cult_of_Frank, I was stressed as well about the travels I'd have to make, but 2 shows in Vancouver!?! At the Fabulous Commodore Ballroom? YES! Almost 12 years to the day after their last show before the breakup (which I had to miss, being out of town), same venue - ahh, life is good.

You Americans will get your chance (hopefully) so let us glory in our moment... :)
Go to Top of Page

Keeping Low
- FB Fan -

1 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  14:28:12  Show Profile
Most likely they have a finite time to play shows before Coachella and picked the most sensible route, packing in as many shows in two weeks as possible, rather than bouncing across the dang ol' USA to hit just a handful of cities.

What is deadly is that the Vancouver tickets sold out this morning in less than TWO MINUTES. Two shows in two minutes. 16 tickets per second. Ebay's already buzzing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000