New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

plannet of black
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  06:57:16  Show Profile
Delighted i was to hear 'Nadine' Played in a local Bar...Then 'Veloria' on a pubs jukebox...But best still is to hear The Pixies played as the last song in clubs!

The only songs that get played are always Debaser, Tame and Planet of sound...
i'll get Teenager of the year played in one of them yet...

This Aint No Rock n Roll Town...

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  07:01:23  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
A few DJs have emailed me to say that they're spinning a few songs from our various tribute albums, too...

On Broadway you get to hear FB all the time... can't say I've ever heard a Pixies track though, but it's probably not in as heavy rotation since it's not new (for now).

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  08:56:17  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
my fave club smile (star & garter in manchester) plays pixies all the time... mostly bone machine or mantra ray, was river euphrates last sat, the b-side version... the guy who normally dj's (andy woods) is the shit! :) lovely bloke who is always more than willing to play some pixies and remembers well the fact that i don't like wave of mutilation... something the other dj's would do well to remember... ;)

~~~
I'm flat out, you're so beautiful to look at when you cry. Freeze, don't move, you've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequal to your life. Shady Lane, everybody wants one, Shady Lane, everybody needs one.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  09:03:22  Show Profile
I've heard Here comes your man several times at the pub.
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  13:12:11  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage
One night at a bar the guy played Abstract Plain and California Bound about ten minutes apart. I found out later one of my friends went up and got him to do it, but it turned out the deege had about eight Frank Black CDs in his package. He said he always brings them just in case anyone might ask, which struck me as overwhelmingly cool save for the fact that he could easily just play them because HE wants to. That remains the only time I've ever heard Frank/Pixies stuff at the bar.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  13:18:39  Show Profile
Where were ya Crispy?
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  13:38:40  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage
It was New City on a Monday night last year. I don't have a clue if the guy still does Mondays there, but give it a shot. Where were you?

Oh yeah, if you hadn't heard yet, the Bowie concert in Calgary was last Tuesday. By the two accounts I've heard it was quite amazing. Also, try not to let this get your hopes up too much, but I heard a rumour that he's going to come here sometime around April.

Nothing is ever something.

Edited by - Crispy Water on 01/27/2004 13:42:36
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  13:49:47  Show Profile
Eeeks that would be fantastic,
couldn't get away from the famille to go to the Calgary one.

I was at some now defunct bars. Pure which used to be the second rebar which used to be the.... Which is actually downstairs from Stars, where I've heard some Pixies too. And at Peoples, which I would kill to go to now since Whyte has become so shitty.
Go to Top of Page

Adnan_le_Terrible
* Dog in the Sand *

France
1973 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  14:51:47  Show Profile  Visit Adnan_le_Terrible's Homepage
During my highschool days in a small provincial town of southern France called Auch, we used to hang around in a small local night-club called La Nuit. Most of the time, the DJ was playing stupid dance music but every night, at a certain point of the party, he would play U-Mass, Hey and Where is my mind. I think he was a big Pixies fan because he was screaming "And Nooooow, the Piiiiixiiies" before playing their stuff. And he often played Headache which was just released at that time.

There was really nothing to do in this town, except going to La Nuit, and I think many of my female school-mates lost their virginity to U-Mass (but not with me, I was on the stage pretending I was Black Francis).

Written reports have purpose only if read by the king.
Go to Top of Page

someguy51
- FB Fan -

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  17:02:48  Show Profile  Visit someguy51's Homepage
Speaking of Calgary, they played Dig For Fire at a recent Flames game. I think it was the Flames/Stars game two Saturdays ago.
Go to Top of Page

andyn
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  03:14:14  Show Profile
Did anyone ever jump on the dance floor thinking "Debaser" had started only to find the DJ was playing "A Good Idea" by Sugar? This was an occupational hazard in indie clubs about 10 years ago - with the volume cranked up to 11 and after a few bevies the intros sound very similar.
Go to Top of Page

Malax
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1340 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  12:59:53  Show Profile
Over here I've heard a ridiculous amount of pixies songs. I once managed to get Rock Music played. I've also heard Robert Onion, Big Red and Los Angeles played. No one ever dances. Losers

Roses Are Red, Violets Are Blue, Sugar Is Sweet...Im Gonna Break Your Face.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  15:40:22  Show Profile
Well you better have danced your ass off for all of them Malax :)
Go to Top of Page

plannet of black
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  04:03:12  Show Profile
Malax - Where abouts are you talking about??

Bumblebee2boy - Wheres this smile/Star & Garter in Manchester?!

Go to Top of Page

Cookie
- FB Fan -

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  06:34:47  Show Profile
Bob Mould (of Husker Du and Sugar) lives in D.C. now and, according to an article in the City Paper, spins Pixies song in his new life/job as a D.J. at a local club. Interesting, since the Pixies were sort of a second generation Husker Du.
Go to Top of Page

9th Wonder Of Foam
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  07:46:10  Show Profile  Visit 9th Wonder Of Foam's Homepage  Click to see 9th Wonder Of Foam's MSN Messenger address
My friends Austrailian cousin came over to Wales and she joined us in the Uni bar. We discovered a mutual liking of the Pixies when my Tony's theme text message tone went off. We then proceeded to pester the DJ until he played Debaser. It was quite an achievement considering the entire nights music had been mostly really bad "post-hardcore/emo" whatever that means. There were four of us dancing and singing to it, while every other cabon copy modern rock/metal fan looked around confused swinging their wallet chains.

Go to Top of Page

prozacrat
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1186 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  12:00:46  Show Profile  Visit prozacrat's Homepage  Click to see prozacrat's MSN Messenger address
I've got some DJs here in podunk South Dakota that'll play Hey and Wave (UK Surf) at the end of the night. I recently went into one bar where the bouncer said I just missed five or so Pixies tunes all in a row. Though I'm not into dance music, I occasionally do dance remixes of tunes for the right $$$. Maybe I'll throw a few Frank Black and Pixies tunes into a dance beat just for the hell of it. Maybe get the uneducated to dance to it without knowing who it is. Maybe I'll convert a person or two.

"And her head has no room."
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  06:09:10  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Malax

Over here I've heard a ridiculous amount of pixies songs. I once managed to get Rock Music played. I've also heard Robert Onion, Big Red and Los Angeles played. No one ever dances. Losers

hehe, i'm friends with a guy who used to (well still does, but at a different venue) do an indie night, he knows i'm a big pixies/frank fan, so when people weren't dancing he'd always play a pixies tune, knowing it would get me up and hopefully encourage more to dance... one week as a special treat he played los angeles quite late on in the night (when loads of people were dancing)... surficed to say i was the only one dancing, it actually *cleared* the dance floor and he had to cut it short to save his night! it was a little embarassing all round! i think that was the last time i heard fb in a club! ;)

~~~
I'm flat out, you're so beautiful to look at when you cry. Freeze, don't move, you've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequal to your life. Shady Lane, everybody wants one, Shady Lane, everybody needs one.
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  06:11:49  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by plannet of black

Malax - Where abouts are you talking about??

Bumblebee2boy - Wheres this smile/Star & Garter in Manchester?!

it's just behind picadilly station, it's an old pub, used to be a hotel i assume, downstairs they quite often have bands playing acoustically and upstairs every saturday they have 'smile' - the coolest alt.indie night around! if you're ever about and fancy it let me know, as i'm there most saturdays, if not all... ;)

http://www.starandgarter.co.uk/

~~~
Go to Top of Page

Malax
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1340 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  17:23:46  Show Profile
I just started chatting to the the DJ and he said if I came in earlish he would play whatever, if I e-mailed him first. That I did. I've heard motorway to roswell, River Euphrates allsorts.

The club Im talking about is the Warehouse in Preston. Another good one for pixies is the cockpit in Leeds

Go to Top of Page

plannet of black
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  06:24:18  Show Profile
Yeah, ive been to the Warehouse in Preston - I didnt get to hear any pixies etc that time though. Itd be great to get to hear Motorway to Roswell!

Bumblebeeboy2 - i should & shall give this starandgarter a try, i dont go to many places in manchester. That sounds like it should be good though!

Go to Top of Page

Superabounder
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1040 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  14:22:09  Show Profile
My favorite Pixies surprise had to be the end of the movie Fight Club when the buildings drop as the Pixies play(can't remember which song exactly now). That completely validated the movie for me from that moment on.
Go to Top of Page

GavinCleaver
- FB Fan -

16 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2004 :  23:30:30  Show Profile  Click to see GavinCleaver's MSN Messenger address
When I went to see mighty british band British Sea Power last year, they had "Calistan" on their intro tape, which was a surprise.
Go to Top of Page

plannet of black
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  05:52:29  Show Profile
Superabounder - Glad you mentioned Fight Club...that film is fantasic & all the more with the effect of 'Where is my mind' as the impact song...

As for British Sea Power, dont y'think their St.Louis vocal sounds pixies inspired??

Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  06:33:25  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by plannet of black

Superabounder - Glad you mentioned Fight Club...that film is fantasic & all the more with the effect of 'Where is my mind' as the impact song...

As for British Sea Power, dont y'think their St.Louis vocal sounds pixies inspired??

just got the sea power album last night, i hadn't heard much about them, my girfriend thought they'd be worth checking out though... they sound very pixie like, but in a good way, it's quite good.

~~~
Go to Top of Page

Treo Black
- FB Fan -

Finland
26 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  13:52:25  Show Profile
I never heard any FB-related songs in bars here in Finland. I don't live in the capital but I think that DJ's there don't play it either.

I spent some time in the Netherlands last autumn, and after hearing Gigantic in one bar I went to shake DJ's hand because of it. I told him that I'll see FB&C after couple of weeks, he said that he'll wait for the Pixies reunion.. Weird to think about it now.

Now I'm just employed
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  18:28:15  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
I occasinally get to do a bit of DJing at a pretty cool club near where I live. Last time I played a song from FB.Net's own "Hey" tribute CD, next time I'm planning on spinning some Frank Black.

New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000