New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  16:58:41  Show Profile
I am making a Tom Waits mix CD with a theme to it and today I put all the songs I'm gonna potentially use as MP3s so I can rearrange them and get a good track list without putting CDs in and out of my CD player.

While listening to the songs, I noticed one song's volume is extremely low, and then there is another one that is a bit louder than the rest. Is there a (free) way I can level them and make them consistently loud? I have Roxio but I don't have all the features. Is there something else I can download?

My last resort will be using my external CD burner and recording it analog so I can adjust the recording level. I'd rather not do that though.

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And you'll get an eighties Monster Ballad CD just for joining"

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  17:17:15  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
There is a way:
You can e-mail the mp3s to me, and I will e-mail the volume-adjusted mp3s back to you by Tuesday, January 20, 2004.
You could also convert them to .wav's and then normalize them all to the same level. I have a (bad) program that can normalize pretty well, but I don't know if it's free for dowload.

But i'm not an expert on this, just an experimeneter. Please forgive me if I am wrong.

Edited by - IceCream on 01/25/2004 10:03:53
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  18:22:53  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Most CD burning software today has normalizing filters built right in - you just have to enable it. I've never used the feature myself as I think you end up with some negative side-effects, but it's probably there if you want to play around with it.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  12:05:23  Show Profile
Thank you to every one who replied. All both of you.

I downloaded this demo version thing called Goldwave. It has way more features than I need cuz it's a mixing/EQ deal. But it will expire eventually. I don't know how good it is but I imagine it will suffice.

Thanks for the offer Ice Cream, but that would be a pain for you and me. a) because I have a phone modem, and c) because I'm keeping them in WAV format for better quality. All the songs are from my CDs and not downloaded off kazaa.

"Screw the Pixies. Gunn is going to reunite Vallhalla!"
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2004 :  22:45:19  Show Profile
Must have left it out by mistake...

b) I really can't stand you, IceCream

"Screw the Pixies. Gunn is going to reunite Vallhalla!"
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  00:58:25  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
Goldwave is excellent for basic loop editing and doesn't expire (I believe the only limitation is 150 actions per program execution), but its normalization function isn't the best. I use Nero Wave Editor for that, which comes free with Nero CD-burning software. Don't know about Nero's availability as shareware, though. :(
Go to Top of Page

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3420 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  06:11:10  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
you can also download the demo of cool edit pro which lets you normalize, and it's pretty good.
the only problem with the demo is that it expires after 30 days or something, but the serial is easy to find on the net if you're into that sorta thing.

cook me some fucking eggs!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000