New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

benji
> Teenager of the Year <

New Zealand
3426 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  06:03:23  Show Profile  Visit benji's Homepage
what are peoples thoughts on these movies?

i began watching these years ago and just find them hilarious.
i bought the dvd of 'the evil dead' recently and it just gets better and better....
now i have my eyes on the dvd of the 2nd one cause the whole scene of bruce's hand trying to kill him is one of the funniest sequences i have ever seen....
and i love the idea of the chainsaw for a hand.
pure genius.....

hail to the king baby!

Doog
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1220 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  06:35:27  Show Profile  Visit Doog's Homepage  Click to see Doog's MSN Messenger address
Brilliaaant movies! I still want a chainsaw for a hand..

"I joined the Cult of Frank / Because I thought it would straighten out my life, SIR!"
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  08:28:36  Show Profile
Almost every Sam Raimi film has one really cool montage with close-ups and loud sound effects. In Evil Dead 2, it's when he cuts the barrel off the shotgun and attaches the chainsaw. In Army of Darkness, it's the scene where he makes the mechanical hand. I almost bust a gut every time I see these sequences. Genius is definitely the word.

"Join the Cult of Steve-o / And enjoy the best brownies"
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  08:50:57  Show Profile
I just got Return of the Living Dead, that movie cracks me right up.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  09:57:23  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
All absolutely brilliant. Evil Dead, Army of Darkness, all of them....
Return of he Living Dead is also brilliant and a must-see, and if we're talkin' about cult classic zombie-genre, Dead-Alive rocks the party too - hilarious. The lawnmower scene is one of the best cinematic moments in history to my mind.

On a related note, Bubba Hotep is an outstanding cult classic. Saw that a month or so ago in the theater. Bruce Campbell is Elvis (well-acted!), aged and in a nursing home. The backstory is that Elvis traded places with an impersonator, to get out of the daily grind of fame, lost his secret contract with the guy in a freak accident, the impersonator/Elvis dies, leaving Elvis to having to subsist on impersonating an Elvis impersonator. Oh, and there's an elderly black gentleman in the home that believes he is JFK, and they battle an ancient mummy who's stealing the nursing home residents' souls, but that's all I'm gonna say. There are perfect, funny moments all through this movie. Anybody else seen it yet?

Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom": Øder tis moodle in der noggin tu smacken der ouchey und vinger-slingers ur to smacken-backen und fix de morkin, yøobetcha!
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  10:18:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by apl4eris
if we're talkin' about cult classic zombie-genre, Dead-Alive rocks the party too - hilarious. The lawnmower scene is one of the best cinematic moments in history to my mind.

Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom": Øder tis moodle in der noggin tu smacken der ouchey und vinger-slingers ur to smacken-backen und fix de morkin, yøobetcha!

haha! That's the one where the guy just swings the lawnmower around in a circle hacking up anything in the way right?

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  10:20:49  Show Profile
The best scene imho is the beginning of ghostship where everyone on the ship except the little girl (she was short) gets sliced in 2 when that giant wire snaps. Good gross stuff.
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  10:27:09  Show Profile
does anyone dislike these movies?? I like them all but can only rewatch Army of Darkness. The others need to be given a lot of breathing room before rewatching otherwise I just get bored.

Has anyone seen "Dead Alive?" Now there's a funny movie!

"I joined the Cult of Popeye / The CoF required my good eye"
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  10:29:22  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Realmean - wha happened?
we were just talkin bout that movie right above your post, silly ;)

Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  10:30:43  Show Profile
I do agree about the first Evil Dead, there's some fucked up shit in that movie I tell ya.
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  11:29:58  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
i watched the first Evil Dead again a few nights ago w/ some friends...horribly disturbing. I love it.

http://psychictwin.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

STITCHES
= Cult of Ray =

USA
915 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  11:33:20  Show Profile
the only thing that ever bothered me about these movies is that evil dead 2 isn't so much a sequel as a retelling of the first one, with just ash and his girl....it makes the continuity a bit odd

-----------------------
MAMASAYMAMASAMAMACOOSA
Go to Top of Page

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  12:34:17  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address
Gimme some sugar baby!

I'm the crushaaa, king of the ring.
Go to Top of Page

STITCHES
= Cult of Ray =

USA
915 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  13:04:29  Show Profile
my personal favorite quote is "yo, she-bitch, let's go"

-----------------------
MAMASAYMAMASAMAMACOOSA
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  13:52:08  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by STITCHES

the only thing that ever bothered me about these movies is that evil dead 2 isn't so much a sequel as a retelling of the first one, with just ash and his girl....it makes the continuity a bit odd

-----------------------
MAMASAYMAMASAMAMACOOSA

Yeah, what the fuck is up with that??? Let alone the fact that Bridget Fonda plays Ash's chick in the "re-hash" portion of Evil Dead 2, they don't even mirror the story of the original!! That always bugged me.

What I love most about the dvd version of "Evil Dead" that i have is the behinds-the-scenes extras. For instance, when the first possessed chick is trapped beneath the trap door, you see her doing a long extended take which basically entails her banging on the trap door and letting out the most god-awful demonic sounds you've ever heard. Finally, the actress just gets worn out with the whole ordeal, and in her regular cutesy girl voice she asks "Is that enough?" or something like that. I thought it was hilarious!

http://psychictwin.tripod.com

Edited by - PsychicTwin on 12/29/2003 13:55:01
Go to Top of Page

STITCHES
= Cult of Ray =

USA
915 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  13:58:11  Show Profile
just another example of the white man keeping me down!!!

-----------------------
MAMASAYMAMASAMAMACOOSA
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  12:10:03  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
"Lady, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store." ----- Ash

The Cult of Frank: More Than You Think, For Less Than You Thought.
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  15:54:44  Show Profile
oops, how'd I miss that??

"I joined the Cult of Popeye / The CoF required my good eye"
Go to Top of Page

Malax
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1340 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  17:35:47  Show Profile
Dead-Alive! Pah American scum its Braindead! Only kidding. Braindead is a much better title anyway. Excellent movie I have it on video but I'd like it on DVD with some nifty extras commentries and stuff but they probably haven't had time and what not yet. I think I prefer braindead to evil dead 2. Ive not seen the first but I enjoyed the second, amusing and just generally a neat film to watch. The 3rd I thought was tosh. It is amusing but it doesn't have anything else going for it the 2nd is amusing has a decent story and a leaning towards horror but the 3rd doesn't know were it stands its not funny enough to be comedy. This one gets:

|: |:

Just 2 thumbs up from Malax

I heard they were making a 4th evil dead, but then I also heard Bruce Campbell was playing the next baddie in spiderman. Maybe I dream these things.
Go to Top of Page

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  17:39:12  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address
Oh now that would be a dream come true!

She aches just like a woman, but she breaks just like a little girl.
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  12:03:33  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
hehe, such great movies. This...is my BOOMSTICK!!

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
Go to Top of Page

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  12:27:38  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address
Bruce is soooooooooo dreamy....
hehaheh..

She aches just like a woman, but she breaks just like a little girl.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
- A 'Fifth' Catholic -

Ireland
11546 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  08:11:24  Show Profile
"A Farewell to Arms"...I love those corny jokes!

Carl
Go to Top of Page

harringk
- FB Fan -

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  10:21:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Malax

Dead-Alive! Pah American scum its Braindead! Only kidding. Braindead is a much better title anyway. Excellent movie I have it on video but I'd like it on DVD with some nifty extras commentries and stuff but they probably haven't had time and what not yet.

I've seen this movie on the Independent Film Channel a couple of times, and it was always called Dead Alive. Wow. This is an insane movie.

My favorite line:

"Your mother ate my dog!"

"Not all of it." (As he pulls a chunk of fur out of her mouth)
Go to Top of Page

miguel
- FB Fan -

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  22:54:06  Show Profile  Visit miguel's Homepage
yeah I've heard of Bubba Hotep and totally want to see it.. it would never come to my puny area but I'll find it one way or another. I heard it got a standing ovation at the sundance film festival I believe.. that's awesome.

"..and I work hard just like a butt spitfire.. I'm just doin' well like a burley key car..."
Go to Top of Page

miguel
- FB Fan -

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  22:54:06  Show Profile  Visit miguel's Homepage
yeah I've heard of Bubba Hotep and totally want to see it.. it would never come to my puny area but I'll find it one way or another. I heard it got a standing ovation at the sundance film festival I believe.. that's awesome.

"..and I work hard just like a butt spitfire.. I'm just doin' well like a burley key car..."
Go to Top of Page

Malax
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1340 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  12:17:39  Show Profile
Every year I see an article or something saying a film recieved a standing ovation at the sundance film festival. It seems easier to come by than well... you know were Im going.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000