Posted - 12/27/2003 :  16:53:58  Show Profile
haha, exactly.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  16:57:25  Show Profile
i agree, it's well done. i was semi-disappointed only because it got so much advance hype (mainly by a friend of mine who's worked with Joe Carnahan and was telling me that this film was the shit). but it's definitely worth a rental. Ray Liotta is excellent in it. it's well-written (written by Carnahan) and interestingly shot. pretty impressive first feature..

supposedly he's going to direct the next MISSION IMPOSSIBLE.. it would be cool if he opted to do something more interesting, but then, i guess it wouldn't hurt the old wallet. and it does seem up his alley. (did anyone see his BMW short THE TICKER? one of the best ones i thought, of the series)..
Go to Top of Page

Malax
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1340 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  17:27:34  Show Profile
I remember reading a review about it a while back then I saw someone with a copy watched it and thought it was really good. The opening scence set the bar for the rest of the film. The ending was half obvious half not obvious....better than being all obvious I guess. I found it for a tenner today and now Im gonna go watch the special features.
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  17:41:10  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Ive got a copy of Narc on DVD, pretty good film, but not a great Ray Liotta fan myself, not even in Goodfellas. Has anyone seen "Master and Commander - the far side of the world' yet?? Is it good?? I bought it on dvd yesterday but it wasa cinema copy which is a pisser.

I agree with Malax about the ending of Narc, it was a little predictable.

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page

cvanepps
= Cult of Ray =

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2003 :  20:01:35  Show Profile
Gotta love the recent bent toward movie topics. Finally, I can contribute!!!

The very first scene in Narc where Jason Patric races to catch his perp...this scene alone is worth the rental. Full throttle, volume to 11 intensity. Really great filmmaking! Unfortunately, by the end of the film, it becomes a regular cop movie but on the whole, it's still a very strong effort.

-= It's not easy to kidnap a fat man =-
http://christophervanepps.iuma.com
Go to Top of Page

Malax
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1340 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2003 :  10:59:08  Show Profile
I've seen master and commander it was one of those films were I wanted to go to the cinema and i'd seen everything so I had to watch that. However I was pleasently suprised it was a throughly enjoyable from start to finish. Good family viewing and whatnot. Another good performance from Mr Crowe and he even made me laugh. This one gets 4 thumbs up from Malax.

|: |: |: |:
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  01:40:39  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
I liked Narc.

Denis

"I joined the cult of Cult of Frank/Turns out he's the stupidest person on Earth"
Go to Top of Page

Owen
- FB Fan -

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  17:36:50  Show Profile
I remember seeing the previews and being fixated on Ray Liotta's newfound fatness.
Go to Top of Page

Coldheartofstone
* Dog in the Sand *

Canada
2025 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  17:47:24  Show Profile  Click to see Coldheartofstone's MSN Messenger address
HAhaha...newfound fatness, was that a feature on the dvd? Do they show you steps to get his level of fatness. or is that PHATness??

She aches just like a woman, but she breaks just like a little girl.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  19:29:53  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
I think I discovered that secret this holiday season. Anybody wants to get fat like Ray Liotta, c'mon over to our house. =P

Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom": Øder tis moodle in der noggin tu smacken der ouchey und vinger-slingers ur to smacken-backen und fix de morkin, yøobetcha!
Go to Top of Page

Owen
- FB Fan -

USA
165 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  06:19:23  Show Profile
I thought he'd just naturally fattened up, but, apparently, it was all an elaborate ruse for the role!

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/380/380843p1.html

quote:
Liotta was required to bulk up for his role as Homicide Detective Henry Oak. In fact, to get the right look he added 25 pounds to his usually lithe frame and wore additional "fat" padding. "To look like I did I'd probably have to gain – 'cause I'm skinny (Liotta rubs his belly with his hands *work it Ray*), I'd probably had to have gained, I betcha 60 or so [pounds] to have that gut [that Henry Oak had in the film]. But I put on 25 just to fill the face out, shaved my hair back, and then the goatee makes the face [fuller].
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000