Misheard lyrics
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1965 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2003 :  16:57:45  Show Profile
For years, I thought that Twist and Shout (Beatles version) went, "We're shakin' the baby now". One day, just a few years back, it occurred to me that it was "Shake it up, baby."

In that Weezer song "No One Else," I didn't mishear the lyrics, but I misunderstood the obvious meaning of the line, "When I'm away she puts her makeup on the shelf." Until earlier this year, I always thought that it meant that while the narrator of the song was gone, his girlfriend would spend her time organizing her makeup on the shelf. It always seemed like a strange line, but the song was so catchy that I didn't question it. Then, around February or March of this year, I was listening and suddenly realized that it meant that he didn't want his girlfriend to make any special effort to look pretty while he was gone. DUH!

My brother thought that "Uriah hit the crapper" from the Pixies "Dead" was "You are a hypo-cratter," like hypocrite pronounced oddly.

My friend Bryan, who is notorious for mishearing lyrics (he never bothers to read the lyrics sheets in the liner notes if the CD has the lyrics), has come up with some odd ones. He's convinced that in the awful Alanis Morisette song "Ironic," she says, "It's like radio on your wedding day." There's a song by Soul Coughing called "$300," and when we were listening to it, he said, "There's something in the chorus about a 3-legged dog," and I said, "Dude, this song is called $300, I think they're saying $300."

A number of people have said they thought that Bush's "Machine" had the line "I waffle my machine" in it, when it's actually "I walk from my machine." But with Gavin Rossdale's crappy lyrics, it really doesn't make a difference what's said. Just spout random jibberish almost incoherently and you've probably sang better lyrics than Bush's lyrics.

Then there's the Rolling Stones song "Beast of Burden," which I've heard many people think is: "I'll never leave your pizza burnin'".

Alcohol or pot? VHS or Beta? Man or Astro-man?

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2003 :  17:24:17  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
My best friends five year old son has been singing the "Jingle Bells, Batman smells" song endlessly for days now and instead of singing "the Batmobile lost a wheel" he sings "Batmobile, Westward Wheel!" every time. I don't know what it means (of if that is what you had in mind) but it cracks me up.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2003 :  17:42:58  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
When I was a young'un of about 3, I thought that in the Christmas carol, "Silver Bells", they were singing "shivering elves". Hey, it fits! To be honest, I still kinda like my version better. It's dark and morbid, just right for the season...heheh.

Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom":Swedish Chef's "Dumpling of Wisdom": Øder tis moodle in der noggin tu smacken der ouchey und vinger-slingers ur to smacken-backen und fix de morkin, yøobetcha!
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2003 :  19:14:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TarTar

For years, I thought that Twist and Shout (Beatles version) went, "We're shakin' the baby now". One day, just a few years back, it occurred to me that it was "Shake it up, baby."

A number of people have said they thought that Bush's "Machine" had the line "I waffle my machine" in it, when it's actually "I walk from my machine." But with Gavin Rossdale's crappy lyrics, it really doesn't make a difference what's said. Just spout random jibberish almost incoherently and you've probably sang better lyrics than Bush's lyrics.

That's pretty funny..."we're shakin' the baby now..." as if the Beatles were so wild and rebellious that when they wanted to show the world how much they didn't care about the taboos of society, they resorted to baby-shaking, like today's bands sometimes resort to onstage nudity and wierd haircuts.

That song by Bush, "Machine Head" sounds like he says "Got a mushy head, better than the rest.." I know that it doesn't, but if I listen to it now I could easily believe that's what he says if I didn't know any better.

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
Carl Sagan

Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2003 :  19:50:53  Show Profile
When I was a kid I use to call bandaids rubberbands, and vice versa.

I never sung a song when I needed one of these two 'bands', so I guess it's not a lyric.

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And you'll get an eighties Monster Ballad CD just for joining"
Go to Top of Page

Johnny Yen
= Cult of Ray =

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2003 :  20:07:02  Show Profile  Visit Johnny Yen's Homepage
My friend's dad always thought the J. Geils band was singing "Angel in the telephone" instead of "Angel is the centerfold" in the song centerfold. He was really disappointed it was about a girl posing for nude pictures instead of a girl doing phone sex. We found this out after we played it at a high school talent show, which he saw. There's a video of it somewhere... ramble ramble..
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2003 :  20:35:51  Show Profile
this is a stupid one:

on nadine, when it says "head to toe in black" i always thought it was "at the toe in black" and so i thought toe in black was some pub that he saw nadine. and then after ages iread the lyrics and realised it was "head." still with the impression that this toe in black place was a pub, i simply took the meaning of the line as "i'm heading up to the pub to meet nadine".

it took quite a while for me to realise how much of an idiot i am.
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2003 :  21:36:25  Show Profile
palace of the brine
how to say goodbye
Go to Top of Page

TarTar
* Dog in the Sand *

1965 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  00:01:17  Show Profile
Haha. In the song "Horrible Day," towards the very end, when Frank says, "I don't need the luck," it sounds as if he's saying, "I don't need the lust" because of the cymbal crash that occurs at the very end of the word "luck".

Go to Top of Page

andyn
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  01:35:56  Show Profile
A friend of mine was horrified at "Chop Suey" by System Of A Down because she thought it went "..when Asians deserve to die.." instead of "angels".

One for the Brits - a kid I knew at school was convinced for a while that "So Lonely" by The Police was about Sue Lawley.
Go to Top of Page

Scarla O
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
947 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  01:45:53  Show Profile  Visit Scarla O's Homepage

My favourite misheard lyric comes from the song 'time' by David Bowie.

The lyric "I had so many dreams I had so many breakthroughs" was heard as "I had so many dreams I had so many grapefruits"

Go to Top of Page

andyn
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  02:11:16  Show Profile
*laughs* That's quality, Scarla.
Go to Top of Page

Scarla O
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
947 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  03:58:57  Show Profile  Visit Scarla O's Homepage

Cheers andyn.
Go to Top of Page

ObfuscateByWill
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  05:21:12  Show Profile  Visit ObfuscateByWill's Homepage
The first few times I heard 'Humboldt County Massacre' by our beloved FB I heard..

"Spittin' stars in homo bars / rites of passage"

*Shka-pow!
Go to Top of Page

TRANSMARINE
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
2002 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  18:25:01  Show Profile
I crack up everytime I hear Waiting for the Sun by the DOORS...during the chorus when Mr. Morrison sings:

"Waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting...waiting for you to come along..."

...I always hear:

"A-Team, A-Team, A-Team, A-Team..."

Catchin' blue in his eyes that were brown

-bRIAN
Go to Top of Page

gr1bbly
- FB Fan -

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  18:36:34  Show Profile
I used to car pool to school with a friend's mother. She wouldn't let us listen to "Flashdance" when it came on the radio because she though "take your passion/and make it happen" was "take your pants off/and make it happen" =]

grib.
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  19:49:37  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
hahahahaha Transmarine....I just listened to Waiting For the Sun (mmm...Morrison Hotel...nice album)...and I, too, heard "A-Team! A-Team! A-Team!" hahaha...that's great.

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2003 :  07:57:08  Show Profile
"I am un-chained! On the loose, yeah! Wanna grow, up to be, be a..."

(True, though only briefly.)
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2003 :  12:24:46  Show Profile
haha, i remember my brother said when he was introducing me to the pixies that he always thought debaser was something like "Girl, I could lose-ya!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000