Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  09:53:12  Show Profile
okay, i'm getting a new electric, and i don't know whether to get a gibson les paul, a les paul special, or a telecaster. i know most of you'll say a tele, which i think i want the most. but i would save money if i got the LP special. i think the tele is about €240, the LP special is €199, and the Les Paul Custom is about €460. okay, now that i write this i see that the tele aint that more expensive.

and does anyone know how much more it is to order the guitar left-handed and a different colour?

"I joined the Cult of Trippy/...what was i singing again???"

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  10:00:52  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
no idea, as i'm right handed, but i have a tele, lovely guitar, sounds beautiful... i also have a 'jagmaster' that is nice and glittery, looks cool when i'm doing my front man thing, but doesn't sound nearly as good, isn't as 'easy' to play either...

always fancied a les paul though, well i did until i was given my tele, so not sure. i guess, reading my post, that wasn't much help?

go for the tele. if it's good enough for frank...

~~~
I'm flat out, you're so beautiful to look at when you cry. Freeze, don't move, you've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequal to your life. Shady Lane, everybody wants one, Shady Lane, everybody needs one.
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  10:11:11  Show Profile
yeah, i was a little distracted by a shiny jaguar, but i don't really like the sound so much. tele it is!
now, should i go for blonde, off-white or black?

Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  10:13:51  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
hmm id say tele, but then i like fenders. i suppose it depends if you want a meaty or squealy sound.
i think lefted's cost around £100 more than right handed ones. ive been playing right handed guitars upside down, mainly because its cheaper. just drill another strap button into the other horn. it would make sense with a tele too, because they havent got that concave cutaway to fit your body, so you wont be missing anything. that might not work as well on a les paul.
i bought a lefty jaguar from ebay the other day, cant wait for it to arrive. ive never had a left handed guitar! ive been playing a right handed mustang upside down for a while now.

anyway ebay has some nice guitars, although there's only normally like 2 lefty telecasters.... :/

here is an...."interesting" one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2578812352&category=38083

"Joan my Clerk of Trompe / And You'll be chick-a-be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  10:16:05  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
tough one, mine is red with a white bit on, forgot what it's called! :) i think out of those choices, i'd go for either blonde or black, but red if it's possible! i'm not sure what would suit you though, you should post a photo of yourself so we can decide what colour guitar would look best...

Here's my Jagmaster BTW...

http://www.dawsonsonline.com/acatalog/dm_00038786.htm

Posted for my own benefit really. I wanted it that colour but ended up getting the red and glittery one... best played in front of the mirror kind of thing, not that i'd do that...

~~~
I'm flat out, you're so beautiful to look at when you cry. Freeze, don't move, you've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequal to your life. Shady Lane, everybody wants one, Shady Lane, everybody needs one.
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  10:26:26  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage
Very different guitars, with the good old humbucker vs. single coil rivalry. So you should have an idea of what sound you prefer.. warm vs crunch. This will make the decision easier.

1c
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  10:52:48  Show Profile
well, i think i prefer fenders to gibson in general, but how cool would it to own a les paul? if i played a lot of lead i would definetly be getting that, but i don't so i think the best think for me is a tele. i'd love a tele thinline too...

Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  14:34:34  Show Profile
I'd personally get a les paul but tht's just because I've got 3 fenders and no money and I really want a Les Paul. But, yeah, its a Hell of a lot easier to play lead on the Gibsons

Join the Cult Of Gunn / and you'll never need a hair stylist again"
Go to Top of Page

cvanepps
= Cult of Ray =

USA
442 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  16:58:41  Show Profile
Figured I'll add my two cents. I'm looking to buy a Les Paul Special but money is tight...Christmas and all. A friend of mine brought one over and I fell in love with it. I was planning to konk him over the head and steal it, in fact. The weight is balanced much better than my Fender Fat Strat and the sound...lordy lou! The presence of it is right in your face, man. I'd go for the LP Special.

-= It's not easy to kidnap a fat man =-
http://christophervanepps.iuma.com
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  17:04:27  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
Get an SG, its much more cooler.
If Angus Young, Tony Iommi and Dave Grohl play them, that makes em cool in my book.

"What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"
"Same thing we do every night, Pinky: try to take over the world!"
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  17:48:10  Show Profile
I have a Les Paul Studio. It's a nice guitar. I got it for about 850. It's got a very pretty clean sound, but I can't get the distortion sound I want out of my Marshall amp. I think it's the amp though. I've never liked its distortion (it's not a tube amp). You'll hear my guitar (clean) on my cover for the Pixies tribute. You'll also hear my Yamaha acoustic guitar which is now broken.

Anyway, I want an SG standard really bad, and I'd also like to get a telecaster. If only I had an extra 2000 dollars to spend.

If I were you, I guess I'd play a bunch of teles and a bunch of les paul's and see what you like the most. If you are considering a les paul then I guess you are looking for American made guitars, so get an American tele if you want to shell out the extra cash. Or are Mexican strats ok? I guess I'm skeptical.

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And you'll get an eighties Monster Ballad CD just for joining"
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  19:27:50  Show Profile
If you are going to play a lot of rhythm I would get the Tele. The sound of a Tele bridge pickup for rhythm is unbeatable. So many unique players have lived by the Tele... Joe Strummer, Wilko Johnson, Steve Cropper, Keef Richards, et al. Most people don't know that Page used a Tele for the first Zeppelin album. I'd have one but I can't put my Martin down.

"Join the Cult of Dustin / And vanish without a trace"
Go to Top of Page

mdisanto
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1140 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  20:06:48  Show Profile  Visit mdisanto's Homepage
i have a tele and i like it a lot. you can cause immediate ear damage if you turn it to the bridge pickup and turn the treble on your amp to 10. but seriously, its a good guitar

-miked
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  20:38:18  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
I'm a Fender guy, so I generally stick to Fender guitars. Check out a Strat or Telecaster...a Jaguar, a Mustang, or a Jazzmaster...whatever sounds and feels good to you, buy it.

"I joined the Cult of Clops / If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye open."
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2003 :  12:10:46  Show Profile
I have a Mexican Strat, (it's a "Squire" series from before Squire was its own brand), and it's alright. It was cheap (400 Cdn), but I can usually get it to sound how I want. Recording is another matter, but it's on our track and I'm fairly happy with the results. If I were to buy a guitar today, I don't know what I'd get. Obviously number one would be price range. From there I'd try all sorts of guitars to see what I liked. There's a '69 Fender Jaguar at my local cool guitar store (www.helmusic.com they rule!), and I would love to have it. Sunburst finish, large headstock... I could finally live out my Kurt Cobain fantasies. But I don't have 1300 bones laying around. Good luck Jessie and have fun. Guitar shopping rules.

Edited by - speedy_m on 12/07/2003 12:14:30
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2003 :  12:49:56  Show Profile
thank you all! hmm, now this guy is trying to sell me a Jagmaster, which i didn't even know existed. its in a bit of a state, and i'm not that gone on it, but it's cheap. i think i'm gonna wait til i get up to dublin to really have a good look, cos ennis and limerick ain't the best places for guitar shopping.
and they all think i'm an eejit cos i'm a girl. i was in the left-handed acoustic guitar section in a shop in galway and this guy came up just to tell me i was in the left-handed section, as if to direct me in the 'right' direction. i had to convince him i knew what i was talking about.

oh, and one more thing, i have a Strat(i can't remeber where it was made, but it was a cheap one), and does anyone know how much i would get to trade it in? enough to pay for the left-handed-ness?

Go to Top of Page

bumblebeeboy2
> Teenager of the Year <

United Kingdom
2638 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2003 :  16:41:47  Show Profile  Click to see bumblebeeboy2's MSN Messenger address
like i said earlier, my jagmaster looks great, and don't get me wrong, can't fault the sound or anything about it... but i prefer to play my telecaster, and believe it has a better sound to it...

~~~
Go to Top of Page

STITCHES
= Cult of Ray =

USA
915 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  09:11:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Brackish Girl

and does anyone know how much more it is to order the guitar left-handed and a different colour?

ahhh....a fellow lefty. I've looked for lefty tele's and they're hard to find. I think you have to have them custom made, but I coule be wrong. what did you end up buying?

-----------------------
I MET A MAN, HE WAS A GOOD MAN
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  09:41:02  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
fender japan make some lefty teles as standard, but there isnt much choice.

Go to Top of Page

STITCHES
= Cult of Ray =

USA
915 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  09:44:11  Show Profile
really? didn't know that.....if I did I'd probably own a tele right now....I've wasted my life

-----------------------
MAMASAYMAMASAMAMACOOSA
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  11:51:53  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
http://www.ishibashi-music.com/fenderjp/tl7265l.htm

there you go!

full site is there: http://www.ishibashi-music.com/fenderjp/

they're quite cheap really, but import tax will sting, especially since it taxes your shipping fees as well.

Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  11:55:04  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
by the way, look what i bought the other week:

Lefty Jaguar, mm! I was going to get one in candy apple red with a matching headstock, but then i found this one on ebay and it was going for, well, very cheap. It only cost $640 in the end! A steal for a Jaguar, let alone a lefty one. Right handed ones cost between £600-700 in UK shops. Disgusting prices.

Go to Top of Page

STITCHES
= Cult of Ray =

USA
915 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  11:59:30  Show Profile
I'm rather fond of the jag-stangs myself.....

-----------------------
MAMASAYMAMASAMAMACOOSA
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  12:36:39  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
hehe, yes, Cobain "designed" a masterpiece.

I've got an SG (kicks ass.)

I just ordered this today: http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAAFS75T

Cheap, well made, sounds great. It's an amazing guitar for the money.

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
Go to Top of Page

STITCHES
= Cult of Ray =

USA
915 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  12:38:05  Show Profile
very nice.....I"m rather partial to the Dano 56-u2's right now...I"ve got 2 of them. They're lightweight and cheap but they just sound so good

-----------------------
MAMASAYMAMASAMAMACOOSA

Edited by - STITCHES on 12/16/2003 12:39:32
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  12:40:33  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
ah, the guy from the guitar store here in my town plays one of those in his band...it does sound very very good. nice warm sound.

"Join the Cult of Gunn / And Then You'll Be Destined to be a Rock and Roll Star of Epical Proportions!"
Go to Top of Page

STITCHES
= Cult of Ray =

USA
915 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  12:42:22  Show Profile
it's those lipstick pickups. Another bonus to them is that they're cheap as hell, even lefties

-----------------------
MAMASAYMAMASAMAMACOOSA
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  12:44:50  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
how much are they?

Go to Top of Page

STITCHES
= Cult of Ray =

USA
915 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  12:47:59  Show Profile
righties are $199 or so, I believe. Lefties are about $50 more, and another $50 for a hardshell case.

-----------------------
MAMASAYMAMASAMAMACOOSA
Go to Top of Page

TheCroutonFuton
- Mr. Setlists -

USA
1728 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  12:52:20  Show Profile  Visit TheCroutonFuton's Homepage
I know what guitar I'm getting next. buahahaha

Go to Top of Page

STITCHES
= Cult of Ray =

USA
915 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  13:03:18  Show Profile
for real....I mean, you make your woman work a street corner once maybe twice a month, and you can afford another one of these bad boys!!!

-----------------------
MAMASAYMAMASAMAMACOOSA
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  13:52:03  Show Profile
charming. i haven't gone up to dublin yet, so i haven't had a chance to see if there's anything on offer there. but when i do i'ma goin' ice skatin' with ma friends!

Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  14:00:58  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by STITCHES

I'm rather fond of the jag-stangs myself.....

-----------------------
MAMASAYMAMASAMAMACOOSA

im really not keen on them. id have a jag and/or a stang any day. i dont think they got the shape right. they were still working on it when cobain died i believe, more prototypes etc etc.

Go to Top of Page

STITCHES
= Cult of Ray =

USA
915 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2003 :  14:05:44  Show Profile
they look pretty much as he intended to me

-----------------------
MAMASAYMAMASAMAMACOOSA
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl