Looking back at the Effenaar, Eindhoven show
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chickenwithtwoheads
= Cult of Ray =

Netherlands
391 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  16:34:55  Show Profile  Visit chickenwithtwoheads's Homepage  Click to see chickenwithtwoheads's MSN Messenger address
Well, I was surprised about two things:

-The show was kind of short, without an encore, probably due to the quite lame audience.
-The more recent ('silent' ,melancholic) songs sound incredibly good!

Started quite heavy with some heavy distorted songs, in the middle some of the more quiet melancholic songs, third part were again more louder songs.
They started with I need peace, and ended with the Black rider

They played three Pixies songs
-Caribou (excellent!, from the great intro to the triplets at the end and the screaming of REPENT, what a great song!)
-Cactus
-Monkey gone to heaven

Frank Black: none

Teenager of the year: none

Cult of Ray:none

FB & the C's:
-I need peace (was surprised by the fact that this song was the opener)
-Six sixty six

Pistolero:
-I want rock & roll

Dog in the sand:
-Robert Onion (one of the highlights of the evening, looked like this was the only song people knew, lots of them singing along)
-Bullet
-Hermaphroditos

Devils workshop:
-Velvety
-Whiskey in your shoes

Black letter days:
-Black rider
-How you went so far (just great!)
-Southbound bevy
-Jane, the queen of love

Show me your tears:
-Nadine (I usually skip this one when I listen to the album, but I was quite impressed by the live version)
-New house of the pope
-Horrible day (another highlight, just played it perfect!)
-Massif centrale
-When will happiness find me again?
-Goodbye Lorraine
-This old heartache
-The snake

And of course The Man made my day by signing my Teenager of the year LP, he was quite nice, polite and friendly, even while he was busy with carrying cases and stuff...

I can hardly wait till tomorrow, when I will see them again in Amsterdam. Are we Dutch people lucky or what?

I'm bored with the valleys and bored by the peaks. So I bought a ticket to the freaks

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2003 :  09:35:28  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
So ok, the story continiues

this concert was great! the sound was way better than in LVC Leiden.
I could see the whole show, cause there was a short encore. They didn't leave the stage, but it was an encore chickenwithtwoheads, all the catholics were standing up like statues like they always do at the end of the first set and Frank suddenly decided to do Black Rider, the catholics seemed very surprised and only joined later. It's like FB decided not to do a encore of 4 songs or something but a one song encore, which fitted the show perfectly, it was great to end with The Black Rider, you know Neil Young said it's better to burn out than fade away.

More plusses:
-I got FB plectrum, I dropped it and I picked it up to give it back to him, but before I could Frank already had a new one. To whom it may concern:
It's a 0.66 mm orange Dunlop Tortex (with the turtle on it)
-Frank looked more appealing, I'm a hetrosexual, but I'm glad he got rid off the little beard, he really looked dirty in Leiden.
-Rich played on this really ugly guitar, called the gremlin, it looks like this:

that's ugly ok?
but it sounded alright

-Rich couldn't play This Old Heartache by heart, he had to read it from paper (just the cords, no notes I guess).
-The show sequence was superior to the Leiden show, it began with some hard rocking tracks and slowed down and finished with a blast. 'Out with a bang!' to quote the late John B. Spencer.
-I spend 67 euro's (70 dollars or so) on Frank Black in two days. I payed one show for my girl (cause the first time's for free, she payed last night herself, it's a trick I learned from drugsdealers), 2 tickets for myself, got a shirt and the nadine single. So now I'm completely broke, the last thing I wanted was two exact shows. If you look at the LVC setlist and the Effenaar setlist are very different. Thank you FB and the C's

one last plus:
-The crowd was alright! You may find them lame chickenwithtoheads, believe me the LVC crowd was twice as lame. I could hear people sing a long with the SMYT songs and BLD songs the LVC gang only knew Pixies tracks.

I had my fair share of FB this year, see you next time FB and the C's!

p.s.
was the show recorded by Hearitagain.net or what?

"I joined the Culf of Frank/ And now I do not know what...to do"
Go to Top of Page

Etienne
- FB Fan -

Japan
115 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2003 :  13:29:33  Show Profile
Hoi Nederlanders,

Were they selling FB & the C's T-shirts ? I can't believe it......
70 Euros is a lot of money, billgoodman. I think I spent at least as much when Fb and the boys came to Lyon and Clermont Ferrand !

I will attend the gig in Paris tomorrow with my Dutch girlfriend... (mijn Brabantse vriendin, moet ik zeggen).

Etienne
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6009 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2003 :  14:05:10  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
Hi Etienne

Did your Brabant girl teach you to speak dutch?

"I joined the Culf of Frank/ And now I do not know what...to do"
Go to Top of Page

Etienne
- FB Fan -

Japan
115 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2003 :  05:19:05  Show Profile
Yes she did, but I have also attended a few lessons and lived in Den Haag for one year...

Did Hearitagain tape the show ?

Etienne
Go to Top of Page

wicked witch
- FB Fan -

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  07:29:51  Show Profile
they shouldn't call this guitar gremlin. they should call it spongebob.
http://www.hobgoblin.com/itempics/gr5523a.jpg
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000