New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2003 :  21:39:19  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
Just curious; are not there many songs from the Cult of Ray that Frank has not been playing lately? Is this the album of which the songs get performed least often live?

mergzez7
- FB Fan -

France
166 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2003 :  21:47:55  Show Profile  Click to see mergzez7's MSN Messenger address
Indeed.

zez
Go to Top of Page

Thomas
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1615 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  03:56:46  Show Profile  Click to see Thomas's MSN Messenger address
At least someone understood that sentence.

Thomas
"Our love is rice and beans and horses lard"
Go to Top of Page

bedrock_barney
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
871 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  07:41:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by IceCream

Just curious; are not there many songs from the Cult of Ray that Frank has not been playing lately? Is this the album of which the songs get performed least often live?

Man, that's Double Negative City.

and IceCream.....you're the sheriff.

;)

"I have been enslaved by the Cult of Ming / He is ever so merciless...unlike that nice Mr Black."
Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  09:06:06  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
"of Which" is like "whose"
The album whose majority of songs.....Or better yet, the majority of COR songs...........have the smallest number of live performances.....
You see, from what I can tell, FB hasn't played many songs from COR recently, and I wanted some comments about it.

Edited by - IceCream on 11/27/2003 09:18:36
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  09:14:23  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
I don't know what you're asking, but FB hasn't played a single song from Cult in the last 5 shows I've been at.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

My Velouria
- FB Fan -

France
93 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  09:34:55  Show Profile
For the moment Cult Of Ray is not the only album FB seems to deny live...indeed I think he only plays 2 songs from Devil's Workshop, that are Velvety and Whiskey in Your Shoes. I know he already played other before (US tour) but in Europe I don't think so...I see 2 possible reasons : Rich did not participate to the recording of this album...and the songs are hard to sing..FB has to sing very high on some (Heloise, Bartholomew chorus, Out of State...).
Go to Top of Page

velvety
= Cult of Ray =

Portugal
536 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  10:37:08  Show Profile
It could also be that two of the best DW songs (st. antonio tx and his kingly cave) have lots of chords and difficult lyrics to remember. I wonder if thatīs the case with the song 'cult of ray'.
Go to Top of Page

humpy-wheeler
- FB Fan -

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  13:50:42  Show Profile
Maybe because Cult of Ray um...SUCKS. Well I've never heard it but many "sources" say it's Francks weakest effort. Did'nt he form the Catholics after this one? Sounds like even he knew a change was needed.
Go to Top of Page

misleadtheworld
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1222 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  13:58:37  Show Profile  Visit misleadtheworld's Homepage
well, id listen to it first humpy wheeler, dont rely on 'sources'. i agree its not as good as most of his stuff, but its still good. and anyway two (or three?) of the, now catholics, were players on the cult of ray record, so i suppose they only changed direction really.

"Joan my Clerk of Trompe / And You'll be chick-a-be enlightened"

Edited by - misleadtheworld on 11/27/2003 13:59:00
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  14:04:39  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Sucks for FB = best album for others.

There are a lot of great tracks on there, it's just that he departed from the more poppy TOTY sound and moved into a bit more of a rocky and rough sound that reached its peak with Pistolero. Sucks? Nope. Understandably not his best record because of its transitory nature, but still thoroughly enjoyable.

Go to Top of Page

IceCream
= Quote Accumulator =

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2003 :  22:00:54  Show Profile  Visit IceCream's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Sucks for FB = best album for others.

I certainly see what you are saying, but a bad song is a bad song regardless of who writes or performs it pretty much, to me...If it's bad relative to FB's other works, there is still a lot more room for it to go down in quality, I know, but if I was just to say "You Ain't Me" is bad, then it's bad, and that's that; you know? It's bad relative to anything, so we can't always assume that when we say something by Frank is bad, we mean bad relative to his works. Although it almost always is the case for FB that something bad for FB only pales in comparison to HIS OTHER WORKS but not ALL OTHER WORKS.....hmmmm...
Anyway, I tend to think a lot of people don't like it for its straighfowardness and simplicity. "I Heard Ramona Sing" is a lot more complex and elaborate and difficult than something like "Dance War" but, I don't know.......It's not a bad album at all. Frank Black and the Catholics is much worse than Cult of Ray, imo...
Humpy Wheeler should listen to it. Creature Crawling, , Cult of Ray, Men in Black, and the Marsist are awesome, but the thing is, these songs get denied by Frank, and I mean, even if the album were bad, Frank says he doesn't write albums, he writes songs, so he wouldn't neglect to play a song from Cult of Ray because the album as a whole is 'bad', would he?

Oh, and doesn't Dave Noisy think that Cult IS his best record?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2003 :  06:08:11  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Well, perhaps I was speaking for myself, but I have yet to hear any output from Frank that I would term bad in a general sense. I can't even think of a track that I would say is bad, much less an entire album.

Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7438 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2003 :  06:34:38  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
There's one: You're Such A Wire. Bad, bad song. It's the only one I know.

Denis

"In the Cult of Frank/You don't even get backstage passes"
Go to Top of Page

revilo
- FB Fan -

10 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2003 :  08:05:05  Show Profile
he played the Marsist and Men in black in 2001 in Rennes
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2003 :  22:42:40  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Yep - my fav album. =)
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2003 :  05:32:43  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
You've been smoking too much of the wacky tabacky Noisy.

New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000