Rolling Stones Fiasco (Canada)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  04:12:05  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
I dont know if any of you heard this, but the 3 big canadian record store chains have pulled all rolling stones products off the shelves in protest. the rolling stones cut a exclusiove deal with Best Buy to sell their 4 dvd set for 39.99 canadian. people from the rolling stones claim that had the big record stores got the deal the price would have been pushed up to 59.99-69.99. they sought the deal that would give most fans the opportunity to buy it.
personally i think the stones were right and the big 3 blow.

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  06:32:06  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
though i don't dig their music it is a right decision to keep prices as low as possible.probably they will sell some more copies that way and they 'll save themselves some illegal downloads,plus they will make their fans happier since fans would have bought it anyway.

join the cult of errol\and you can have a beer\without having to quit smoking
www.munchienandalusia.too.it
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  06:54:50  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
Wait a minute. The record stores pulled ALL Stones products from their shelves because of a dispute over ONE item? Wow, smart move. Now they'll lose the money that they would have made from selling those other items.

I'm not a Stones fan, personally, but I respect their decision. Record store markups are often ridiculous.

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
http://vovat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  07:16:03  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
Boy those Stones still know how to stick it to the man!

They are rebels.

They never sold out.
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  13:46:26  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage
I respect their reasoning, though I don't know whether to believe it. Best Buy has better prices here, sure, but would they really be THAT much lower than everyone else if it weren't for the exclusive distribution? Doing the math, that's a lot more savings than they offer on the average CD.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  13:48:59  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
quote:

Love the sig, Mun Chien!
Go to Top of Page

blackpurse
= Cult of Ray =

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  15:13:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by frank_black_francis

I dont know if any of you heard this, but the 3 big canadian record store chains have pulled all rolling stones products off the shelves in protest. the rolling stones cut a exclusiove deal with Best Buy to sell their 4 dvd set for 39.99 canadian. people from the rolling stones claim that had the big record stores got the deal the price would have been pushed up to 59.99-69.99. they sought the deal that would give most fans the opportunity to buy it.
personally i think the stones were right and the big 3 blow.

Intelligent move from Mick Jagger, a graduate of the London School of Economics (the "Harvard Business School" of Britian). He understands not only about supply/demand/pricing, but lookit the free publicity they got for this. Mick Jagger is many things, stupid businessman is not one of them.

I have alwasy loved the stones since I was a little kid and I smile when I read stuff like this.

"Sacred cows make the best burgers!"
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  15:46:14  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
I find it odd when people say that they do not dig their music....considering all the variety over the years.....and lest we forget, the Rolling Stones, for all their success, epitomize Rock and Roll...whenever i play Goats Head Soup, it tends to occur to me , "damn, this is fucking ROCK music! oh the inspired arrangements!"
Go to Top of Page

blackpurse
= Cult of Ray =

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  19:17:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by frank_black_francis

I find it odd when people say that they do not dig their music....considering all the variety over the years.....and lest we forget, the Rolling Stones, for all their success, epitomize Rock and Roll...whenever i play Goats Head Soup, it tends to occur to me , "damn, this is fucking ROCK music! oh the inspired arrangements!"

Amen to that. It's like when Michael Stipe said in some interview that he didn't really like the Beatles much, and wasn't influened by them at all. Oh, yeah, two faced asshole, then how's come everybody in your band tries their damndest to look and sound like them, write songs that sound like them, and references them with chord changes. Same with the stones. I hear people all the time bitching about how they're too old to be still going. They're becoming exactly what they origianlly set out to be -- a bunch of old bluesmen still claiming they can get the mojo workin'. they've really come full circle. Show me a band that's stayed together as long as they have. There's a lot to be said for that. OK, so they haven't written anything to equal "Satisfaction" in 15 years, but who cares?

"Sacred cows make the best burgers!"
Go to Top of Page

mun chien andalusia
= Quote Accumulator =

Italy
2139 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2003 :  18:19:07  Show Profile  Visit mun chien andalusia's Homepage  Click to see mun chien andalusia's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by apl4eris

quote:

Love the sig, Mun Chien!

thanks.frank's brother rules and i thought to homage him in a way...

Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  08:28:52  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
Oh no! How are The Stones going to survive without the revenue from those three stores?

Personally, I think The Stones would be fine without ANY Canadian revenue. They don't even bother picking up a dollar off the floor because they make more than that in the time it takes to bend over.

"Join the Cult of Clootie / and you'll get more booty!" www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000