New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  00:10:42  Show Profile
Any one here a fan of Swans? I sort of wrote them off as a industrial noise fest for awhile, givin the brutal nature of their early albums, but over hte past year have been completely absorbed in their amazing music, especially from the late 80's to 90s. Really some of the best music I've ever heard. Angels of Light, M. Gira's new project is also quite amazing. For fans of Joy Division and Leonard Cohen...if you haven't heard any Swans or Angels of Light, I implore you to check it out.

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  09:27:36  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage
I'm not huge on the Swans, but I like some of what I've heard. I own Soundtracks for the Blind, and I've listened to the Greed/Holy Money release. They both have some elements I really enjoy, but I definitely have to be in the mood before I throw on the Swans. My favourite record store guy has told me good things about Angels of Light too, but I've never had a chance to hear them. Any recommended starting point with them?

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  11:00:02  Show Profile
Soundtracks for the Blind is a very difficult initial listen, simply because it's mostly instrumental and very experimental. It sounds nothing like the other Swans albums, and Greed/Holy Money is disturbing as hell, so I don't blame you for not getting too into that.

Angels of Light, they have 3 albums, all very worthwhile. I'd say get "Everything is New Here/Please Come Home" their newest. It sounds nothing like the two Swans albums you've heard, check it out!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000