New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  17:17:53  Show Profile
It's that time of the year again. It's dark at 4:30 and if you wake up late you can go days without seeing the sun. This isn't a woe is me thread, it's a 'Fuck you depression, get the hell out of my system. You make No God Damn sense!' thread.

Anyone else get this yearly depression where you can't pinpoint any particular sadness? What do you do about it? Does anyone have one of those UV lights?

"I joined the Cult of Popeye / The CoF required my good eye"

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  17:22:20  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Shit! I'm going through the same thing! Why the hell couldn't we just keep daylight savings time? Why? This dark at 4:30 thing gets on my nerves big time. The way I "handle" it is to start being a night owl. I just ignore daytime altogether. I mean, most of the winter around here (and when I lived in Chicago) is so sucky that there's no need to worry about daylight (outdoor activities...). Now I'm hanging out in my studio 24/7. And grumbling at the darkness outside my window.

I used to love this time of year. Either I was too goth for my own good, or I'm getting old.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  18:52:12  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
Yeah, I tend to get kind of depressed around the winter. I guess it's related to the lack of light, even though I'm usually indoors anyway.

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
http://vovat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  19:17:08  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Being pitch black outside at 5:30 is fucking depressing. I hate it. Who's the cock sucking masochist who came up with this idea? "Oh, I have a brilliant idea! Let's change our clocks so that it's FUCKING DARK AS HELL very early on"

"I joined the Cult of Clops / If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye open."
Go to Top of Page

MangyKid
- FB Fan -

170 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  21:15:09  Show Profile
That was Ben Franklin wasn't it? Must've been crazy by then. I do like this time of year, but I just haven't been active, and now with the darkness and such it kinda sucks.
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  22:05:27  Show Profile
October is probably my favorite month but it leads into the depression and my senses become deadened in the winter.

Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  22:12:18  Show Profile
Early fall is my absolute favorite time of the year. Most people think, oh shit, have to go back to school, or whatnot, but to me it seems like a time when things are beginning to happen. But, I wish it could stay like that until late spring, because the winter is depressing except for around Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  22:53:38  Show Profile
Yeah, I love the Holidays but I have a feeling this is going to be a horrendous winter. Last year was pretty cold and snowy but it didn't affect me adversely.

Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5454 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  23:04:02  Show Profile
Aren't we now returned to the "regular" time?

I always thought returning to dark evenings was stupid, but now that I've spent a year in a cold area with a kid going to shcool I can see the value of getting to school/work an hour later. It still sucks and makes getting exercise harder.
Go to Top of Page

Disastronaut
- FB Fan -

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  23:22:37  Show Profile
actually we are "in" daylight savings time right now! what this means on this topic is that where it is dark at around 5:00pm it would be the same darkness at 4:00pm if we didnt have daylight savings time. some of you people have this backwards.
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  23:38:07  Show Profile
Sping ahead, Fall back.

That would make sense, Disastronaut, if we didn't just turn [i]back[/] our clocks. Daylight savings actually just ended. Its purpose, I believe, is/was for farmers during the summer so that they could get the most time out of the working day. This is Standard time meaning that it gets dark at just the time it's supposed to get dark. I think our question is, why end Daylight savings at all?

Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  02:31:15  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
This is one of the reasons why I left the UK, go to work in the dark, come home in the dark. I totally agree, it's soul crushing. And in the UK you get the rain chucked in to add to the negative waves. In Beijing it is alot colder, but it is dry which makes it nowhere near as bad. Electric shocks I can handle, but not a cold dark rainy day.

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman

Netherlands
6118 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  02:34:48  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
Yes I recognize this

I have winterdepressions too
this year is ok though

when I started with college
I wasn't too happy with it
It was getting dark and somehow studying was anoying me
But I'm fine now
yesterday's test went really well
tomorrow I have a test about Japan

Tokugawa, Meiji, Hirohito,

that's hard!

"I joined the Culf of Frank/ And now I do not know what...to do"
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  03:49:02  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
Stuart, you can sympathise, being a fellow pommie. The cold weather sucks, the rain sucks, the dark sucks. And you just know, because we had the hottest summer on record, winter's gonna be deadly.
I think I'll catch pneumonia so I can stay inside all winter.
[he grumbles and moans in a Mutley kind of fashion]

"I have joined the Cult Of Frank/And I have dearly paid"

Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  06:57:23  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Yeah, the British winter is a bitch. I'd rather cold temperatures and snow rather than cold temperatures and terrential rain all of the fucking time. I used to longboard alot when I lived in UK, and it used to piss me right off when I'd wake up at 5:30am on a Saturday morning ready to go out (to avoid the traffic on the hills of Bristol) and it would be shitting it down with rain. British weather is shitty, even in the summertime (although I have heard that this year is the exception).

Here, the winter is pretty dry, so dry that when you touch metal you get a static shock (which sometimes is a little unpleasant). But hey, that beats rain!

Who's the man that won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  07:42:13  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
I'm sitting here at work, and its drizzling with rain and almost dark. I have to walk home from work, and go via the shops so I'm going to get wet. Oh the joy.

Go to Top of Page

Erebus
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1834 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  08:04:49  Show Profile
Do you get a tan from standing in the English rain? If the sun don't come, that is?
Go to Top of Page

Cheeseman1000

Iceland
8201 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  08:07:28  Show Profile  Visit Cheeseman1000's Homepage
You might get the occasional acid burn, if you live up North.

Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  09:56:37  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Spring and summer are no doubt my favorite seasons...the smell of the air, the beautiful greens and lively colors. Winter is a bitch, but I don't know if I'd prefer to live somewhere where it's warm all year round. It's easier to bundle up clothes to warm up than it is to (legally) strip down and cool off.

"I joined the Cult of Clops / If I were you, I'd sleep with one eye open."
Go to Top of Page

PixieSteve
> Teenager of the Year <

Poland
4698 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  10:01:08  Show Profile
just think... less than 2months til the days get longer....
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  10:04:03  Show Profile
I agree El Barto. I'll risk and suffer the depression to be able to experience all the seasons. You can't appreciate the good without having something to measure it against, besides winter isn't all bad if you can't beat the depression.

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  10:09:24  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Having a fire in the fireplace again is nice. And not having to cut the damn grass and weed the damn garden. Or run into the basement during yet another tornado warning/hail/wind/lightning from hell storm. Yeah, I guess I like winter alright.

"...after a really good meal and a fine cigar even the most rabid Dark Lord is inclined to put his feet up and feel amicable towards the world, especially if it's offering him another brandy."
Go to Top of Page

darwin

USA
5454 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  11:19:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by PixieSteve

just think... less than 2months til the days get longer....

Winter solistice is one of my favorite days, because it means we're over the hump and days are going to get longer. Hope returns and 2 months after that in the US spring training for baseball starts.
Go to Top of Page

Elcorazon
- FB Fan -

Italy
29 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  12:14:42  Show Profile
Ok. But I can't bear the forthcoming xmas atmosphere when you are forced to buy gifts and spend money and forced to be happy even if you are not.
At xmas you can only be very happy or very sad. Some years the first, others the second.
I don't want to be depressing but Isn't it sad that xmas has become just a money affair ?
Nevertheless, LOVE & HAPPINES to everyone !!!!!!!

See you forever
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  12:31:00  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
This year our families have agreed to do a no-money christmas. It has been a hope of mine for years now, and we finally got everybody to agree. We are going to give items that we have already, that have meaning, or make something (write something, art, baked goods, etc.), or whatever. I know, it must sound pretty corny....Hopefully it will lessen the stress and be more meaningful for us. I guess we'll find out soon.
Go to Top of Page

Elcorazon
- FB Fan -

Italy
29 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  12:33:49  Show Profile
Beautiful !!!

See you forever
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  12:33:49  Show Profile
That sounds great, although I'd bet my family wouldn't go for such a thing.
Go to Top of Page

Tatum23
- FB Fan -

10 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  13:02:17  Show Profile
The first time I got seasonal depression was last year. I barely left my room last winter. I really think that moving to this tiny mountain town really adversely affects my mood in the winter. When we have lots of snow I just feel caged in and sad. I think that the snow is beautiful and I wouldn't trade the views for anything in the world, but I got really sad for no reason. I'm going to try to duck that this year. I'm not sure how just yet, but I'm going to try.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  13:13:35  Show Profile
sad, that's what its called, seasonal affect disorder.

All the tanning places here have posters
tooting tanning for relieving sad.
so its either skin cancer or depression...
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  13:15:30  Show Profile
Hey elcorazon, isn't that the name of a Steve Earl album? I was gonna get it this summer, is it any good?

My family is starting to pitch in a bit more with the charitable works round Christmas. I've always been so spoiled that I felt terrible. I wish everyone would give the money they would have spent on me on food and toys for poor families instead.

Well Jess, we're in the same boat - at least we won't be alone. Or perhaps you'll escape the depression but I'll drag you down. At least I won't be alone.

Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1036 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  16:49:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by apl4eris

This year our families have agreed to do a no-money christmas. It has been a hope of mine for years now, and we finally got everybody to agree. We are going to give items that we have already, that have meaning, or make something (write something, art, baked goods, etc.), or whatever. I know, it must sound pretty corny....Hopefully it will lessen the stress and be more meaningful for us. I guess we'll find out soon.

That's awesome! I hope it's a lot of fun for you and your loved ones.

Go to Top of Page

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1036 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  16:56:48  Show Profile
Winter would be more tolerable if it weren't for the gray skies, sometime shitty driving conditions and that it can drag on and on for about six to seven months. I always psyche myself up to get through it but come February I'm horribly disgusted with winter. Often we jump from cold weather in May to sudden heat without any spring. It could be worse but it does suck.
Go to Top of Page

VoVat

USA
9168 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  06:38:06  Show Profile  Visit VoVat's Homepage  Click to see VoVat's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Do you get a tan from standing in the English rain? If the sun don't come, that is?

I don't know about Cheeseman, but for me, all the yellow matter custard dripping from a dead dog's eye is pretty annoying.

quote:
Winter is a bitch, but I don't know if I'd prefer to live somewhere where it's warm all year round. It's easier to bundle up clothes to warm up than it is to (legally) strip down and cool off.

But it's cheaper to run a fan than a heater, isn't it?

-Nathan
And how does lemur's skin reflect the sea?
http://vovat.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Elcorazon
- FB Fan -

Italy
29 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  13:57:10  Show Profile
Hey Realmean..., surely it is the name of Steve Earl album!
I think it is very good, it is a full of talent album.
I think I will present some mastered copies of ElCorazon for Xmas on recycled cd (if they exist!)

See you forever
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000