Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 Solar coronal mass ejection - Any effects yet?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  11:19:56  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
It's supposed to peak at 3 PM EDT today. Washington state and even Illinois may be able to see the Aurora Borealis because of this and future solar events. Anybody experiencing any effects? My radio was going quirky earlier this AM, but no way to tell is it was related.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/10/23/solar.forecast/index.html

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  11:27:42  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
Solar Coronal Mass Ejection is the name of my new Industrial Band by the way.

Just kidding.

My hair stood up like when you touch that metal electroball at the Magichouse.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  11:34:32  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Really? :) Actually, I know somebody whose hair did that all the time - he couldn't get it to stay down, like he had a constant electrical charge. He was a living Troll doll, but then he cut it short.

Sorry I'm such a lamer geek, this stuff gets me way too excited. Did anybody get to see Mars through a telescope this summer? Anybody an amateur astronomer?
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  11:43:53  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by apl4eris

Really? :) Actually, I know somebody whose hair did that all the time - he couldn't get it to stay down, like he had a constant electrical charge. He was a living Troll doll, but then he cut it short.

Sorry I'm such a lamer geek, this stuff gets me way too excited. Did anybody get to see Mars through a telescope this summer? Anybody an amateur astronomer?

I am an amateur astrologer. I could tell you your horoscope, but it wouldn't be right.
Go to Top of Page

interloper
= Cult of Ray =

440 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  11:44:23  Show Profile
I've grown four inches since noon.
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  11:46:33  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by interloper

That was just your waist because you had 47 chocolate custard filled donuts for lunch.

Or it was your penis from all the "Enlarge Your Penis" email you've been answering.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  11:49:36  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by the swimmer

quote:
Originally posted by interloper

That was just your waist because you had 47 chocolate custard filled donuts for lunch.
Or it was your penis from all the "Enlarge Your Penis" email you've been answering.
Man, interloper, way to set yourself up - LOL! BTW, what time is it where you are?
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  11:57:13  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
Me, it's 1:50 right.....now.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  12:00:24  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Well, I was gonna joke that interloper could be in a world of hurt by the time the solar event was over, depending on his rate of growth, meh, bad joke anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  12:00:32  Show Profile
9 more to go!
Who starts the congratulations thread?
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  12:01:46  Show Profile
My schlong has turned into a pecker.

"I paid the owner twice the rental / To which he was otherwise entitled."
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  12:07:24  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Carolynanna

9 more to go!

You could. Or Apl. A girl should cuz I like girls.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  12:09:17  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
You're damn lucky I'm sick today. And have no life. so I post a lot. yeah.
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  12:12:19  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
Then my prayers were answered.

I praid "Dear Kindest Lord, make me lucky today by making Apl4eris sick like a dog. Then I shall be lucky because she shall respond to my posts all day."

And you know what, because their is a God that exclusively hears and answers MY prayers, he smote you and you wereth sicketh.

Praise be.

And that's 5 more for me.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  12:12:58  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

9 more to go!

I don't know, you posted a very nice birthday thread for me but then you also said you'd ignore me if I didn't stalk you or something like that.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  12:14:19  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
quote:

I did, but it was only 90x and though I could see it better than I ever had, I still couldn't make out any details. No Olympus Mons sitings for me...

We actually have a product out there making some really sensitive measurements which we think might be failing on occasion due to geomagnetic fluctuations, so we've got some people running tests today. No other effects I've noticed today...

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  12:15:21  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
I'm smoted. I knew it. Carolynanna, maybe you oughta stalk him - he might smiteth me through god again. god's so mean.
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  12:19:10  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:

quote:

quote:

9 more to go!

I don't know, you posted a very nice birthday thread for me but then you also said you'd ignore me if I didn't stalk you or something like that.

I'll stalk you if you don't stalk me.

Really though, I don't have time to stalk. it costs a lot of money.

All that buying darkroom equipment and cameras.

Isn't that always how they show stalking in the movies. The stalker people always have like this awesome darkroom with pictures of the stalkee all over and hanging out to dry and a red light swinging back and forth and the detectives or what not always open the door and look at all the pictures and are like "Oh my god....."

Anyway, if you do start a thread. I'll save my 1000th post for you. Sort of like saving myself for you.
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  14:50:55  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
Well, the solar flares don't seem to have affected cell phone usage around here any. Cell-phone-yammering-psychos in Hummers continue to careen unabated down my street with no notice of children or the elderly. I'm about to start lurking at the 4-way stop with a crowbar.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / And all I got was this lousy icon"

Edited by - mereubu on 10/24/2003 14:51:31
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  15:23:12  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

quote:

I did, but it was only 90x and though I could see it better than I ever had, I still couldn't make out any details. No Olympus Mons sitings for me...
We actually have a product out there making some really sensitive measurements which we think might be failing on occasion due to geomagnetic fluctuations, so we've got some people running tests today. No other effects I've noticed today...

Yeah, apparently the magnitude was only a 3 out of 5, so moderate...
Cool that you at least have a telescope - is it that you can only view the cap w/100x or am I confused? I'm going nutty because both of our families have "big" telescopes in KY and they haven't even looked at Mars yet - though I guess it's mostly because of the light pollution. Stupid lights.

There was a little segment on Talk of the Nation (Science Friday) on NPR today about the Olivine on Mars today...was very interesting. What the heck do you do COF? Sounds super neat, whatever it is.
--edit-- Just remembered you're in Canada - probably have no idea what I'm talking about w/the NPR stuff, though I think you can get it in some places there. Silly me.

Edited by - apl4eris on 10/24/2003 15:24:47
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  17:25:52  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Yeah, you pretty much hit it on the 'scope. I always loved looking, though I really no very little of the astronomy behind it to do anything besides picking out different stars and constellations and checking them out. It was pretty exciting to discover Jupiter and Saturn on the same day, though.

I actually have no idea what NPR is, but it sounds sort of cool. As for what I do, I assure you I make it sound more interesting than it is... I'm just an R&D Electrical Engineer. Though because it's a smaller company, I kind of have to know a bit about physics and chemistry and mechanical elements of engineering too, which keeps things interesting. Always learning.

What about yourself?

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  21:58:27  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
I used to be In IT (generalist, ie. not great at anything in particular) when we still lived in Chicago. Then I got this wild hair up my ass that I was going to do what I went to school all those years for - so now I'm an artist again. And an unpublished creepy children's book writer. (Creepy -could- apply either way in that sentence.) I try to keep learning, too....exciting, huh? My brother's majoring in Physics and Mechanical Engineering right now, and I'm wishing like hell I could start all over again and go back to college.
If I thought I had the aptitude for it, I'd rather be doing something more along the lines of what you're doing. Hell, you even discovered Jupiter and Saturn in one day- hee hee!
So anyway, what's this product making sensitive measurements of? I know, probably company confidential, you don't have to answer that, but I gotta ask - just sounds too cloak and dagger to pass up...:)
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  01:09:42  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to tease with the info, I almost didn't put that line in 'cause it's already borderline. Not that it's cloak and dagger or interesting, but I just can't really talk about it at the moment...

I promise it's not interesting, though, how's that? :)

As for writing children's books, you could probably write some decent pre-teen novels where you could VERY INDIRECTLY use some of this new science you're reading about. Still children's books, but you also get to use some of that science that you know and love.

Go to Top of Page

jbstevens
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  02:18:48  Show Profile  Click to see jbstevens's MSN Messenger address
quote:

I have a PhD in Astronomy if that counts. No money in such things in Blighty these days, so with a wife and kid to support I sold my ass to the corporate satan - now I'm an IT whore getting pimped by IBM.

"Yellow fifty-two / He's an undertaker bee"
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  10:36:34  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
You should start an astronomy thread and tell us amateurs where to find cool things we can see at low magnification. :)

Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  17:29:41  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
I agree - we need an astronomy topic! Whaddya think jb?

COF or jb, do you have any recommendations for telescope brands/models? We would eventually be in a budget range of about 6-800, maybe higher, for a decent one with at least 100x and computerized tracking capabilities. We're expecting a subscription for Astronomy soon, and I read Sky and Telescope, but I can't be sure that their product reviews are completely unbiased. I'm feeling pressured to get one soon because we live in the country and in the one year since we moved here, the city lights are already creeping very close. I'd hate to have to drive forever and set up in the dark in some cow pasture. ;)
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  17:32:17  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Oh, BTW, any updates on those geomagnetic effects, COF?

Did anyone (especially in Oregon or Illinois, etc.) get to see the Aurora Borealis?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  08:11:55  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
I think I'll let Mr. Stevens do the recommendations here, I really don't feel like I know enough to say one way or the other. We had a really nice high powered telescope when I was like 8 or something with a really decent magnification and my rambunctious cousin was running and knocked it over and a lens fell through the deck. My father was unpleased and that was the last we saw of that one. Now we have a cheap one. I wouldn't mind getting a newer bigger one, but I can't justify the money it would cost, really.

As for the geomagnetic effects, it turns out that even at the peak of the storm, the device was still chugging away, so that means we've got some more work to do finding the problem...

Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  15:58:25  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Yep, we seemed to survive this ejection quite nicely. =)

I love astronomy..tho i gotta say (and prolly already have!) the space program is a waste of time. There's way too much we need to do here to spend so much energy looking at the sky really.. A nice distraction tho..
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:03:11  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
I wouldn't say astronomy or a space program (in theory) are distractions - though I do believe that too much of NASA's time is spent working for DOD and corporations. I for one am happy that we worked our way out of that flat earth thingy. So, much cred and kudos to Galileo, et al.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  16:38:30  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
They figured that out in Greece..or at least some other ancient civilization, didn't they?
Go to Top of Page

Scarla O
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
947 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  01:36:33  Show Profile  Visit Scarla O's Homepage

I personally think we should worry about the money we waste on the arms industry before we fixate on the space program.

i used to have a half-decent telescope, you could see saturn's rings and Calisto, Ganymede and Io (?)i forget which ones, orbitting Jupiter.
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  13:17:15  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Wow - I so can't wait! What kind did you have? Do you remember the brand or model?
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  13:33:47  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
BTW, here comes another one! whoopee!
from http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solar_flare_031028.html

"The Sun today unleashed what appears to be the third most powerful flare in recorded history, a storm of charged particles that could hit Earth mid-day Wednesday with more effect than any since 1989, when an entire Canadian province had its power knocked out. Depending on the storm's magnetic orientation, it could set off a dramatic display of colorful northern lights well into mid-latitudes of the United States and Europe.

Meanwhile, satellite operators and power grid managers are preparing to endure a potentially damaging event. And astronauts aboard the International Space Station have taken cover from heavier radiation sent out by the flare. They are not expected to be in any serious danger.

Kicked up at 6 a.m. EST (1100 UT) today, the major solar outburst comes on the heels of four other flares late last week and over the weekend. All were considered fairly severe, but the latest eruption makes the others seem like solar sneezes.

Today's blast is classified as an X17, where X denotes a major flare and larger numbers are stronger. That compares to two flare-ups over the weekend that were rated less than X2.

"The flare today may be the third strongest X-flare on record," said Paal Brekke, deputy project scientist for the SOHO spacecraft, which first spotted the event.

A slightly stronger flare on April 2, 2001 was not pointed at Earth. Today's storm is headed directly at us and could generate fantastic colorful lights in the atmosphere, known as aurora. The storm associated with the flare is called a coronal mass ejection, an expanding bubble of charged particles that race outward."

Huge-ass sunspots:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap031027.html

More pretty pictures:
http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/hotshots/

Visible light movie of flare:
http://150.144.30.101/data/LATEST/current_c3small.mpg

and uv:
http://150.144.30.101/data/LATEST/current_eit_195small.mpg
Go to Top of Page

rockathon
- FB Fan -

241 Posts