New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ten Percenter
- FB Enquirer -

United Kingdom
1733 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  05:53:04  Show Profile
Apologies if this has already been posted, I couldn't find it after a brief search. It is by Tim Murr, he gives SMYT 4 out of 5:

The highlight of my week is definitely the new Frank Black and the Catholics album. Show Me Your Tears is everything good that we fans of Frank expect. For the uninitiated, your intro to Frank Black should be his original band, The Pixies. For you young'uns that just grew out of your Britney albums, The Pixies were one of the most important and influential bands of the '80s and '90s - even Nirvana ripped them off, and who was more important than Nirvana in 1992?

For you old farts like me, that have been around and grew up with Frank and The Pixies, Show Me Your Tears is a real treat. There’s not a bad track or a minute of filler, just vintage Frank, aging like fine wine and delivering one of the top ten best albums of the year. At times sounding like a cross between Steve Earle and Lou Reed, the album moves effortlessly between rock and country and alternative, and mostly all three at once, like on “Jaina Blues.” “Horrible Day” is a great honky tonk song that would’ve made Ernest Tubb and Hank Sr. proud. “Massif Centrale” has the sound old time fans have been missing for years.

Honestly, even if there was something bad to say, and there’s not, I wouldn’t. Frank paid his fucking dues, made great albums that serve as milestones in many people’s lives, never sold out and never sucked. Show Me Your Tears is a fantastic album, well written, well produced, every track a winner. Frank helped set the standard for modern rock, and like Paul Westerberg, is criminally underrated in this day and age. You could do a whole lot worse, but you can’t do a whole lot better.

No man is an island, unless he is in the bath

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  16:05:38  Show Profile
why didn't he give it 5/5 if it was so good? this guy's obviously got high standards.

doo doo doo...
Go to Top of Page

anazgnos
= Cult of Ray =

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2003 :  18:35:07  Show Profile
writer might not have given it the rating...they'd change your rating will-he nil-he at Pitchfork...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000