Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2003 :  12:37:46  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Who else saw it? Who loved it like I did?

I heart Bill Murray. It's one of those movies I just know I will be buying the day it comes out on DVD. Fantabulous.

If you haven't seen it, it is all about connections and soul mates and how one person can change your world. At least, that is what it meant to me, and that is all crap I wholeheartedly believe in. Hurrah.

Other thoughts?

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2003 :  12:51:51  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
I loved it. it stuck with me the next morning when i woke up to. (That's how I can tell it was a good movie.)

It was, how do you say, bittersweet.

I think I am now in mighty lust with Scarlet Johannsen.

Sofia Coppola sureknows how to make those beautiful blonde girls shine. First Kirsten Dunst in The Virgin Suicides and now Scarlett.

I loved the whole Japan thing. I guess it wouldn't have worked anywhere else.

So big question...what did he whisper to her at the end? What did the end mean to you?

Do you wanna touch me THEY-ER, WHEY-ER, THEY-ER
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2003 :  12:55:41  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
I thought he told her something about keeping up with her writing, hanging in there, or just some kind of general encouragment. That is what I took it as, even though he needed something too, he was giving something to her in the end as opposed to thanking her for what she did for him, I guess. If that makes sense.

For me, the end was S-A-D. I bawled! To me, it just sort of meant a big good-bye and you had the feeling they wouldn't see each other again. They got what they needed from the short relationship and that was that.
Go to Top of Page

GHutt
- FB Fan -

105 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2003 :  13:08:38  Show Profile
I'm going to see it tonight - I'm happy to hear all the good reviews.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2003 :  13:18:17  Show Profile
i liked it too.. it's probably the best film i've seen this year so far. but that's not saying much since this is truly the worst year yet for films (even worse than last year)..

Bill Murray is always fun to watch, and i too truly am in love with Scarlett Johannsen, despite the fact that she's only 18. i think without this great cast, it might not have succeeded; the plot is very loosely structured, and not a whole lot happens, but it's just enjoyable to watch the two of them together.. and to vicariously experience the craziness of Japan (a good friend of mine lived there for 8 years.. i've heard the stories)..

the cinematography is great. Lance Acord, who does all of Spike Jonze's stuff (gee, how did she manage to get him?) is one of the best young cinematographers working, in my opinion. he also did BUFFALO 66, another visually stunning film..

it kind of reminded me of BEFORE SUNRISE.. another romantic, couple spending a short amount of time together lost-connection type thing.. only this is more stylized and moody.. but there are also some very funny moments (especially the karoke scene, and the talk show)..

i say go see it.
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2003 :  19:56:58  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
You know, though they are completely different in some ways, the mood reminded me of Punch Drunk Love which I enjoyed as well.

Anyone see this?
Go to Top of Page

apl4eris
~ Abstract Brain ~

USA
4800 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2003 :  20:20:24  Show Profile  Visit apl4eris's Homepage
Yes - that movie blew me away. My honey and I kept exchanging looks of consternation, like "did that just happen?!". It wasn't anything necessarily inherant in the subject matter, but that director was incredible. Ex-TREME-ly uncomfortable. Loved it. It definitely left a (really good) impression.

I have just heard/read too many good reviews about "Lost in Translation", so I am going to have to go and see it.

"That's not what I ordered. I ordered an opera. This is a potato print." --Laurie Anderson
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2003 :  07:04:35  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
I haven't seen PUNCH DRUNK LOVE yet but I really want to. I also heart Phillip Seymour Hoffman, he fucking rules.

The mood of LIT (heh) was so low key and so about being in a new place where you don't know anyone or what is going on. I loved the first moments of Bill Murray in the car looking at all the new crazy STUFF in a new place - I have so been in that moment! I wonder if your opinion of the movie would be different if you are someone who does travel a lot or if you are someone who's never been anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2003 :  07:16:03  Show Profile
PUNCH DRUNK LOVE was like being inside an Adam Sandler movie while having a bad acid trip. that was how i summarized it for my "review" when it came out.

i liked it quite a bit.. i'm a pretty big Paul Thomas Anderson fan. Phillip Seymour Hoffman steals the show in PUNCH DRUNK LOVE.. if anything, you should see it for him.
Go to Top of Page

DruggedBunny
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
395 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  05:54:27  Show Profile
I really want to see this, mainly because it made Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine get a grip and release some new music at long last! Plus, any film with MBV's 'Sometimes' in its soundtrack has to be cool.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  07:55:09  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Well, I really want to read this thread, but I have the feeling there are spoilers. I actually didn't think the movie looked that good, but perhaps that's related to being single and jaded. :)

Now I kind of want to check it out, based on what little praises I've accidentally seen. Though I heard good things about Pool Hall Junkies, and that was an awful movie.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  08:32:36  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
I really want to see this flick as well, moreso now that i've read so many positive words about it from you guys.

that is fucking AWESOME that there's Ken Shields/MBV stuff on the soundtrack.

--> http://psychictwin.tripod.com <--
Go to Top of Page

brank flack
- FB Fan -

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  08:51:05  Show Profile
i can't stand her movies, Sofia Coppola, but i liked bill murray. i just didn't buy him and the 12 year old girl......
and the editing was terrible.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  09:15:03  Show Profile
hey, she's 18 Frank.

i'm surprised the editing is what stood out to you.. i dont' remember any really bad editing.. but i was probably too busy fantasisizing about scarlett johannson.

if anything, i thought it was too self-indlugent.. too many "cool" shots of her just sitting in a window, or staring out a car window.. it was kind of film-school-esque at points. but i think this is a big improvement from her other films.

and lance acord's photography is always great.
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  09:21:40  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by floop

but i think this is a big improvement from her other films.

You say other FILMS. She only directed one other film and that was The Virgin Suicides and you are trying to tell me that that wasn't good? Did you even see it?

I don't think you did if you say her other "films" when there was only one.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  09:25:10  Show Profile
she directed a few short films, one of which i saw on IFC (it's a short, but it's still a "film" no?)..

i'm thinking of "Lick The Star" in particular.. which was horrible.

Edited by - floop on 10/02/2003 09:27:22
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  13:43:26  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
The editing didn't bug me. I liked the changes from day to night and the sudden switches between scenes. For me it sorta went with the whole LOST theme. Geddit?

My favorite part was the karoke scene, when he sang "MORE THAN THIS" I totally cried! I am a big baby.

There is a pretty good interview with Bill Murray in the new PREMIERE magazine (which is not great anymore - but good interview) by the way.
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  13:46:57  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:

she directed a few short films, one of which i saw on IFC (it's a short, but it's still a "film" no?)..

i'm thinking of "Lick The Star" in particular.. which was horrible.

Yeah I was thinking feature films. But really, you didn't like Virgin Suicides?
Go to Top of Page

Broken Face
-= Forum Pistolero =-

USA
5155 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  18:54:54  Show Profile  Visit Broken Face's Homepage
i thought it was absoultely brilliant. the score, the cinematography, the acting - all top notch. i LOVE that you couldn't hear his whisper - it lets us all believe what we want to.

for me, it was a combo of punk drunk love with a dash of the first third of Jim Jarmusch's Mystery Train, where it's almost totally in japanese - these two films really give you an idea of what its like to be in a culture that does not share your language or customs.

and bill murray is great. he brings his kids into the movie theater i work at and he's always a classy, super nice guy.

and scarlet johanson is my secret crush for the weekend

-brian

- "I joined the Cult of Frank / And they tried to cut off my nuts and make me put on a blue jumpsuit"
Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  22:21:12  Show Profile
I really enjoyed this movie. It was just very surreal just as Punch Drunk Love is. I thought the cinemetography was amazing; I'm definately going to have to check out his other films. I think the whisper at the end meant they would see each other again. They were far too happy for it to have just been another goodbye.

Just saw PDL tonight; PTAnderson is a pretentious bastard but he's compelling.

I want to see Pool Hall Junkies!

Need to watch Mystery Train again.

Virgin Suicides sucked.

Anyone seen One Hour Photo? I dig the slow, plodding, quiet films.

"I joined the Cult of Popeye / The CoF required my good eye"
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2003 :  22:30:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by realmeanmotorscutor

I really enjoyed this movie. It was just very surreal just as Punch Drunk Love is. I thought the cinemetography was amazing; I'm definately going to have to check out his other films. I think the whisper at the end meant they would see each other again. They were far too happy for it to have just been another goodbye.

Virgin Suicides sucked.

i thought ONE HOUR PHOTO was excellent. very very creepy. i think they kind of softed out on the ending though.. other than that, it was top notch. i heard that the original script had a much more hard-hitting ending, which is easy to imagine. i got the feeling from the film that the ending was kind of tacked on. like, they powers-that-be decided it might be too much, so they toned it down.

very creepy.

i don't think i'd catagorize LOST IN TRANSLATION as surreal, but that's just being nitpicky.. "dreamy" yes.. but not surreal like, say, Alejandro Jodorowsky's films are. or David Lynch..

i can see accusing Paul Thomas Anderson of being pretentious for MAGNOLIA (though i liked it), but i think he's one of the most talented young directors working right now.

i think he's earned right to be a little pretentious. i think BOOGIE NIGHTS is a near-perfect film (despite being very derivative of Scorcese)

mijn vriendin kan geen orgasme krijgen

Edited by - floop on 11/03/2003 22:38:53
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  07:37:11  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Well, I finally went to see it and was quite impressed. The ending is indeed sad, you know... people move on, but I was happy that they did as opposed to what Hollywood has led us to expect. Instead of her husband running off with that blonde and his wife divorcing him for not being there, leaving the two of them free to fall in love with the right person, they ended up just having a life-saving (not in the literal sense) effect on each others' lives. You know, it's sad but very true that you meet someone you'd really like to be closer to but for one circumstance or another it can't happen. Or that you meet someone in mutual need and help each other out and move on.

What did he whisper? I don't know. I'd like to, but I don't. I suppose that given they were in essentially the same situation, he probably passed to her words that it had taken him 20 some years to realize, or maybe to forget and rediscover. Or maybe it was just something like a positive boost as ramona said. Other theories?

I don't know that I would use the word surreal either, but I think it's the right idea as far as explaining the mood of the movie. A key issue is loneliness or perhaps rather aloneness, not because there's nobody around, but because nobody seems to care. Take the phone call home from the girl, or the phone calls that Bill Murray's character makes home. And it is intensified by their detatchment from society and the rest of the world. Japan couldn't have been a better place to underscore it, but I think the idea is that people become isolated anywhere and everywhere. Lots of people living close together is no means an assurance of companionship. And yet, for all the millions of people they were isolated from, meeting one person suddenly made the world bearable again.

Anyway, I think that this is probably among Murray's best work, and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Thanks for the cool perspectives, guys.

Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  09:55:27  Show Profile
yeah, surreal was the wrong word. Dreamy is better. CoF, I think you do mean loneliness, not alone. It is interesting how you can be lonely when around many people.

PTA is pretentious because he said Magnolia was one of the 20 best scripts ever written *gag*
Also, did you see his smugness at the Academy Awards when he lost to American Beauty and Fiona stroking his arm and looking at him like, "it's ok baby" What bullshit.

Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  11:14:56  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
Fiona can stroke me any day.
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  11:47:52  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Um, yeah.

Anyway, since we are nicely off topic - has anyone seen IN THE CUT? I am sort of curious - although I can't stand Meg Ryan. She needs to cool it with the plastic sugery, she looks very duckish. Quack, quack.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  11:50:45  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
She had plastic surgery? All my dreams are falling apart. :)

Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  12:08:48  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
I will try and find an accurate representation of what she looks like now - minus a lot of makeup and good lighting. It's pretty freakin scary.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  12:12:36  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
You're enjoying this, aren't you? :)

Go to Top of Page

jbstevens
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  12:23:12  Show Profile  Click to see jbstevens's MSN Messenger address
quote:

quote:

Virgin Suicides sucked.

i thought ONE HOUR PHOTO was excellent. very very creepy. i think they kind of softed out on the ending though.. other than that, it was top notch. i heard that the original script had a much more hard-hitting ending, which is easy to imagine. i got the feeling from the film that the ending was kind of tacked on. like, they powers-that-be decided it might be too much, so they toned it down.

very creepy.

i don't think i'd catagorize LOST IN TRANSLATION as surreal, but that's just being nitpicky.. "dreamy" yes.. but not surreal like, say, Alejandro Jodorowsky's films are. or David Lynch..

i can see accusing Paul Thomas Anderson of being pretentious for MAGNOLIA (though i liked it), but i think he's one of the most talented young directors working right now.

i think he's earned right to be a little pretentious. i think BOOGIE NIGHTS is a near-perfect film (despite being very derivative of Scorcese)

Agree 100%, do you know if they filmed the original script at all, so we might expect a director's cut? It had creepiness all the way through, but really fizzled out at the end.

My missus dragged me to see Intolerable Cruelty at the weekend (I guess you guys in the US had this a long time ago). What utter utter tosh.

"Yellow fifty-two / He's an undertaker bee"
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  12:38:25  Show Profile
quote:

yeah, surreal was the wrong word. Dreamy is better. CoF, I think you do mean loneliness, not alone. It is interesting how you can be lonely when around many people.

PTA is pretentious because he said Magnolia was one of the 20 best scripts ever written *gag*
Also, did you see his smugness at the Academy Awards when he lost to American Beauty and Fiona stroking his arm and looking at him like, "it's ok baby" What bullshit.

i doubt he said that about MAGNOLIA. where is that quote from?

as for smugness.. i don't really care. he's got a shitload of attitude, it's true, but again, i think he's extremely talented. he doesn't come across as pretentious to me, so much as really enthusiastic about film (almost manic).. not unlike Scorsese.

it is a turn off though when someone you like turns out to be a dick.. i like Alexander Payne's films quite a bit, but in interviews he really sounds pretentious.

Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  12:44:34  Show Profile
jbstevens - i'm not sure if they filmed the original script, but i hope so too. i'd love to see a director's cut on that.

i know Christine Vachon produced it, who is pretty great herself.... but it was in conjunction with Stephen Soderburg's company, who is also usually pretty great (has good taste as a producer), so maybe his side is the one that got soft. (if that's what happened).. i can't see Christine Vachon forcing the director to change the ending so it would be more marketable.

Go to Top of Page

realmeanmotorscutor
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1764 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  13:27:42  Show Profile
I agree, it's a mistake to let someone's personality get in the way of your liking or disliking their art.

Boogie Nights, while interesting, has no worth - I lack the interest and energy to explain that statement . . . .discuss.

Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  14:46:06  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

You're enjoying this, aren't you? :)

Well, I don't enjoy ruining your fantasy but I want others to feel my pain! I searched & found this very funny website; www.awfulplasticsurgery.com

Good times.
Go to Top of Page

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  14:49:18  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Here is the Meg Ryan specific page, I repeat, yikes.

http://www.awfulplasticsurgery.com/archives/000341.html
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  15:04:56  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
That is some scary stuff. Not just her, but all these people. I guess I'll be avoiding that nose job... :)

Go to Top of Page

TOTIPOTENT
- Master of Differentiation -

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  16:07:33  Show Profile  Visit TOTIPOTENT's Homepage
quote:

i liked it too.. it's probably the best film i've seen this year so far. but that's not saying much since this is truly the worst year yet for films (even worse than last year)..

HELLO?! MATRIX, HARRY POTTER, LORD OF THE RINGS, Resident Evil Apocalypse (2004: I had to say it though) are still to come out (I am probably missing some.) Texas Chainsaw Massacre, T3, Matrix were all pretty good. I think that good movies are still being made.

"I joined the Cult of Frank / 'Cause Strong Badia needed a covert spy"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000