Andre 3000 = Frank?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zsolt G.
- FB Fan -

117 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  15:16:04  Show Profile
This has got to be the weirdest comparison EVER!!! Pitchfork.com are out of their minds. What follows is a review of the rap group "Outkast"'s latest single. The sentence of importance appears in the second paragraph of the article. (The video for this song is hilarious by the way. You can check it out on Launch.com if you like.)
quote:

Outkast: "Hey Ya"
When Speakerboxxx/The Love Below is finally released, it looks like Andre 3000's contributions will command the bulk of initial dialogue surrounding the record, since what he's doing (or isn't: there's a notable dearth of proper raps) is both different and generally more rock critic-friendly than anything the group has previously done. And on the evidence of "Hey Ya", the strongest and most enduring of the leaked tracks so far, that attention will be deserved. From Andre's 1-2-3 introduction to his request for those on the floor to "shake it like a Polaroid picture," the communal juke joint/dancehall/roadhouse approach gives the track the organic music-as-community/refuge feel also found in "Hey Baby" and "Seņorita".
This delightful slice of melodic pop (!) starts with Andre in full quirky, affected Frank Black vocal mode before-- after determining that dancing, honesty, and pleasure beats the hell out of standing still and being unhappy-- he breaks out of "character" into playful puns and joyful spontaneity. Songs that cram as many moments of sheer surprise and joy as "Hey Ya" has don't tend to retain their impact over time, but this track not only had my neck snapping on first listen, but leaves my head bobbing and a smile on my face with every subsequent play. This is pure pop for Now people. --Scott Plagenhoef

chrisislies
- FB Fan -

12 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2003 :  18:35:11  Show Profile
that outkast song is amazing. yeah this is kind of a stretch, but everyone should listen to that song. those guys are great.
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  00:46:50  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
[i]
This delightful slice of melodic pop (!) starts with Andre in full quirky, affected Frank Black vocal mode before-- after determining that dancing, honesty, and pleasure beats the hell out of standing still and being unhappy-- he breaks out of "character" into playful puns and joyful spontaneity.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh YES!!!!!!!!!!

We have come FULL CIRCLE.

This is the BEST thing I have read since I heard someone was banned from posting here (serves him right).

This is AWESOME.
Go to Top of Page

HashWax
- FB Fan -

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  11:18:30  Show Profile
that's a really catchy song. i think that outkast has always been the best thing that rap music has going for it.

*brandon
Go to Top of Page

darwin
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

USA
5454 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  14:44:23  Show Profile
If one was going to venture into the world of hiphop/rap and buy an Outkast album, where would be a good palce to start. Was their last album a double album, with each guy doing 1 of them on their own?
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  20:20:33  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by darwin

If one was going to venture into the world of hiphop/rap and buy an Outkast album, where would be a good palce to start. Was their last album a double album, with each guy doing 1 of them on their own?

The one that comes out tuesday is. The Last full length was STANKONIA, and there is no bettwr place to start for the uninitiated.
Go to Top of Page

HashWax
- FB Fan -

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  21:13:04  Show Profile
well, you COULD start with stankonia, but if youre a little leery of doing that, you could just go with their best of. you can almost never go wrong with a best-of cd.

*brandon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000