New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

seanunyon
- FB Fan -

Canada
64 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  08:28:19  Show Profile  Visit seanunyon's Homepage
Former Pixies frontguy Frank Black is one of the most prolific recording artists on the continent, an achievement which isn’t always to his benefit. For every one of his inspired rock ’n’ roll anthems or mutant cowpunk ballads, there’s always a rambling number that sounds like the directionless musings of a slightly insane classic rock fan, the kind that keeps playing acoustic guitar at your party long after everyone else went home. Show Me Your Tears displays more of Black’s propensity for offering up genius and mediocrity simultaneously. If the latter’s just the cost of doing business with the man, let’s just focus on the former — like The Snake, a perfectly noisy rocker in the basic Black mold, and Everything Is New, a great southwestern stomper with a countryish feel but guitar chimes that suggest The Pixies. If that doesn’t do it for you, you can marvel at the album closer, Manitoba, apparently inspired by the chill of winter during Black’s first and only visit to the Prairies last winter: “I have seen the face of God / And I was not afraid / I have seen the face of God / And I have dearly paid.” Nice.

3.5 out of 5
Bartley Kives, Winnipeg Free Press, Winnipeg MB, Sept 6, 2003
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000