New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  13:58:51  Show Profile
I have already posted on other threads my disbelief that this whole reunion thing is a go, however, in the interest of fannng the flames, I'll go ahead and throw out this (admittedly unsubstantiated) tidbit - for whatever it's worth.

Please note: unlike my hoax posting from last year's April Fool's Day (which has recently been resurrected from the pile of dead threads), I am NOT making this up, although I cannot verify it myself.

A close friend who's a record producer/engineer called me today to tell me he had heard that the Pixies were getting back together.

I told him that rumor was old news, and he shouldn't believe everything he read on the internet. He then told me he was completely unaware of any reportage of this in the press. He assumed he was giving me some sort of inside scoop.

According to him, a friend of his who lives in Los Angeles and is some sort of recording engineer, told him in a private e-mail that he had personally attended at least one of the "jam sessions" that Frank has alluded to, although he termed them "practices".

He said the band is definitely gearing up to reunite, although he believed it may only be for one show.

It makes me wonder - wouldn't it make a type of perfect sense for them to play one single show, and preserve it for posterity as both a live CD and DVD?

That way, in one fell swoop, they could A) put a stop to all the endless clamoring for them to get back together, B) prove to both the fans and themselves that they still had what it took to be a relevant, excellent band, C) release the material completely independently or through a tiny label, and keep a huge chunk of the profits without the bullshit that comes along with being on a major, D) avoid a long tour, and with it the risk getting on each other's nerves like they did before E) provide the other bandmembers (besides Frank) with a nice easy payday since they don't share in hardly any songwriting royalties, F) allow David Lovering to get the drum thing out of his system so he can concentrate on scientific phenomenalism, G) give a nice PR boost to all of their solo endeavors.

Plus, Jo's been mentioning that there will be something on the upcoming 4AD DVD that none of us have ever seen before. Could it be footage from these rehearsals, or might it also be footage from an eventual one-off show?

Who knows. Anyway, for what it's worth, this is a small tidbit of what might either be actual behind-the-scenes info, or just someone else trying to glom onto the gossip train.

Only time will tell.

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  14:16:49  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Yeah, it's hard to tell if it's not firsthand, thanks for posting anyway, Jim, even if it is rumours. I actually have heard a few things through the grapevine myself (though nothing this detailed) suggesting that it IS, in fact, true. There was also one saying that it was going to be a single tour, and two saying it is a single show. But I emphasise that this is third-hand info at best, and I really don't know anything other than rumours or this would be the first place I would post it (unless I'd been asked not to, but then I wouldn't tease you like this).

Anyway, though I was initially against the idea, the more I thought about actually SEEING the Pixies (which might not be easy with the new TicketMaster system and a single show), the more I really start to froth at the genitals. But I'm still guardedly skeptical, in case anybody asks.

"Join the Cult of Frank / And you'll be enlightened"
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  14:20:36  Show Profile
It would makes sense for this all to be a prelude to a single show, with 4AD releasing it as part of the DVD. Then it would make sense that it was some third party (ie. not Frank or Ken, but rather 4AD) that is the "source" behind this CNN worthy story. Also, it would make sense that Frank suddenly started hinting at a reunion recently. Which was just 'a joke'. This is pure speculation on my part of course, I know nothing.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  19:41:51  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Man, all this friend of a friend of a friend info! Why can't someone from the band just come out and say it? I mean, for real, what's the harm in saying yes or no?

"I joined the Cult of Frank / But I don't post every 5 fucking minutes"
Go to Top of Page

Atheist4Catholics
= Cult of Ray =

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  19:53:29  Show Profile  Visit Atheist4Catholics's Homepage
Since the DVD is scheduled for release in Spring 2004 and the Pixies are supposedly reuniting in April, I find it hard to believe that any reunion show happenings would be ready in time. I find it hard to believe that any reunion shows will happen at all - maybe one, but I doubt it's for the sake of posterity. Prosperity maybe... If I end up at a Pixies show next Spring I will not only eat my shoe, I will dutifully call out "Play California Bound!!!!"

www.mp3.com/clootie
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  21:42:37  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Yeah! Good idea! I'll shout out requests for FB songs...however, it'll probably turn out to be an arena, and I will be silenced by the thousands of fucktards around me.

Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  22:09:41  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by El Barto

Yeah! Good idea! I'll shout out requests for FB songs...however, it'll probably turn out to be an arena, and I will be silenced by the thousands of fucktards around me.

Jim in the dictionary, your picture is next to the word Fucktard.
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  22:14:23  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
THE MARSIST!!! PLAY THE MARSIST!!!!!

=P

More good rumors.. Just doing one show.. That seems much more possible than a tour or album.

But remember, the 'source' in the original article said 'tour', didn't they? And album.. Conflicting rumors, if memory serves.

"We've got Dean to thank / For this Cult of Frank"
Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  22:16:36  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
I should point out that a few months ago, before all these reunion rumors broke, I had a dream that the reunited to play in Australia, because they never played here.

If my psychic notions are correct, Australians should start getting very excited. I should also point out that once when I was a kid I had a dream that my budgie flew away, and then a week later it did, so I'm a pretty reliable source.

Go to Top of Page

Blackolyte
- FB Fan -

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  01:28:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Anyway, though I was initially against the idea, the more I thought about actually SEEING the Pixies (which might not be easy with the new TicketMaster system and a single show), the more I really start to froth at the genitals. But I'm still guardedly skeptical, in case anybody asks.

I'd probably have to get a second mortgage on my house to buy a ticket. TicketMaster sucks.
Go to Top of Page

Douglas
= Cult of Ray =

Sweden
308 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  04:05:28  Show Profile
The story about the reunion has been in several of the swedish newspapers... and my friend claims he saw a short interview with Frank Black himself, on MTV, saying they were to reunite... but I'm not sure if that's true... at all.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  09:15:25  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
See, now that would be a good way of confirming.

Go to Top of Page

Sheamus
= Cult of Ray =

Australia
345 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  09:26:24  Show Profile  Visit Sheamus's Homepage  Click to see Sheamus's MSN Messenger address
Besides my dream you mean?
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  12:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Well, if you had a video tape of the dream, I might buy into it... :)

Go to Top of Page

blarg007
= Cult of Ray =

USA
493 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  10:27:57  Show Profile
i am going to have my semi/x girlfriend consult the i-ching on this matter
-with specific questions such as will they play dates in australia etc.
as i have seen the i-ching method work with deadly accuracy before and
frankly all that goes on around here is current band lovers VS. pixies lovers.
-Frank is starting to talk and act like an old man -he certainly isn't but
lately his quotes seem to be including things along the lines of ..'i'm
getting old now'...and that makes me think that a minimal one off pixies
thing is possible but still not very likely -but when he is in rip-snortin'
mode you could see him saying yeah why not do an album, tour etc.
i'm refering recently to when i browsed some rolling stones issues
(the actual paper ones)i saw that he did a guest revue thing of some singles,
he said he couldn't understand the vocals on one and offered the explanation
that he was probably getting old.
i like the new LP (SMYT) but as i hear it it seems very safe and sentimental
and if you ask me it is a conscience effort to offer something so steeped
in classic americana that he becomes wildly popular overseas.
it just seems like a safe and sound business direction to increase market audience
to me a pixies re-union could offer a forum for Frank the dangerous
instead of Frank the safe.
the benefits of that longstanding legend the pixies would definitely put him in a place
where simply being good is the main prerequesite -fuckall elses as far as tone and content
-so long as it soars.

R

Edited by - blarg007 on 09/15/2003 10:29:17
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000