Posted - 09/05/2003 :  21:50:04  Show Profile
No blood on his face? How passe...
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  22:49:59  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
He's sold out to the "clean image" crowd...book em, dano.

---------
FRANK BLACK SATAN WORKSHIP BLACK MASS
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  02:33:16  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
Is this supposed to be any good? I could have downloaded it, but skipped on it since the name seems rather...je ne ce pas...
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  07:56:39  Show Profile
Would any of the songs happen to be about, hmmmm, let's see... PARTYING???
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  11:03:33  Show Profile
i heard it's actually supposed to be good.. at least, in terms of Andrew W.K. good.

i'll be curious to hear it. his first album is entertaining (in its own way)..
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  11:54:14  Show Profile
I have his first album. It's a wall of sound + 10. It's really awesome for driving. It turns your car into a party.

Even better are his live shows. One of the most energetic, entertaining, eni.. ena... can't think of another e word... but his live shows are really good. He seems really nice and not stuck up or anything. He just wants to party and have fun apparently.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  12:00:49  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
I haven't heard a lick of this guy's music, but, from what I've read about him and even the guy's "look", I get a serious "modern-day Iggy/Stooges" vibe. Am I totally off-the-mark?

When the hell is CBS gonna do a Murphy Brown reunion?
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  14:17:10  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage
I'm not exactly a big fan of Andrew W.K. I mean, I can bop my head to his tunes and all but I didn't buy the first one, I doubt I'll buy this one, and I must admit I'm getting sick of seeing all these commercials with his songs on them. So many of them sound similar, and while we all like bands like that we all realize how annoying it is when it's someone we're not that into. The only TV I watch is sports, so maybe that's the audience but.....

All that said, I saw him play with Danko Jones about a year ago and I have to say I've never seen a crowd go that crazy at a club show. Right up until Danko hit the stage that's who my buddies and I thought was headlining because they play the shit out of him on the radio here. But nah, it turned out to be Andrew's show and from the moment he and his posse (which included three guitar players) crammed onto the stage the crowd was beyond wild. Going in I was wondering what kind of response he would get: nobody except the people with whom I was going had really been talking about the show, but apparently there's a huge following for the guy, at least here in Edmonton. Down on the floor I felt like I was the only person - I could say male, because there couldn't have been more than two women down there - not singing along with every song, except when he did the obligatory city change for "I Love New York City," you gotta support the cliches. The band was getting so into it, especially the guy who seemed to be what you'd call the lead guitar of the three up there. He was wearing biker shorts and a Hawaiian shirt, looked like he was an old roadie for Warrant or something. During the last song they called all the fans onstage and I didn't even try to go; I just wound up there because the wave of humanity was that overwhelming.

My point, I guess, is that if you're not really that into the guy but love seeing a whole bunch of people having the night of their lives, what so many people say rock 'n' roll is supposed to be about, my unqualified recommendation is to go see Andrew W.K. Yes I've seen Frank Black and yes I personally enjoyed it bucketloads more, but as far as seeing hundreds of people just engaging in unbridled FUN....no contest.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  14:32:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ProverbialCereal

He just wants to party and have fun apparently.

I think he needs to make this a little more clear in his lyrics.

-Brian
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  20:40:00  Show Profile
Yeah, you are right BLT, there is too much ambiguity in his lyrics:

"When it's time to party we will party hard,"

and "It's time to party, let's party."

and "Party til you puke!"

I dunno, does this guy want to party or not?

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

BLT
> Teenager of the Year <

South Sandwich Islands
4204 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  07:25:09  Show Profile
Has Coors used "party til you puke" in a commercial yet? If not, they should. One sip of Coors is all you need to reach that goal.

Edited by - BLT on 09/07/2003 07:25:47
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  08:40:18  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage
well he grew up and went to high school here in Ann Arbor, which is where Iggy is from too.

i actually went to HS with Andrew WK. he was a dweeb and i never knew him very well. we had a couple mutual friends, though, and the funny thing is Andrew seems to have co-opted a lot of the musical ideals i expressed in HS.

the whole Wall of Sound thing is what i tried to do with the remixes of nine inch nails songs and the really shitty original songs i was constructing on my computer at the time.

what really struck me is this interview i saw him do on MTV where he did the exact same stunt i did in HS. pounding furiously on the keys, playing as many chords as quickly as you possibly could, and almost knocking over the piano in the process.

while i'm sure i'm not the first person to do those things, it's funny to me that someone i went to HS with is doing them. i don't really give a shit, but i would like to talk to little Andy and see if he is doing it consciously or subconsciously.

edit: i should clarify 'coz i realize how this post comes off; i've never even tried to do music professionally, i've never done a "public performance" other than orchestral. it's just something i do for myself.

Edited by - Ebb Vicious on 09/07/2003 08:42:08
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  10:12:18  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Wow, I didn't know he was from Michigan. Weird. One little tidbit of useless information, this horrible band from MI called "Wolf Eyes" (truely horrible) opened for SY when I saw them in Royal Oak...allmusic.com said their backing band or something was originally going to be Andrew WK's band.

---------
FRANK BLACK SATAN WORKSHIP BLACK MASS
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  12:06:29  Show Profile
i like Andrew W.K. because he's hard to figure out. not in an obscure, mysterious way.. but hard to figure out what his relationship with his music really is.. when i first heard his stuff (on KXLU here in LA) and looking at the album, it seemed so over the top and funny (and still does).. and i kind of figured it was a pretty elaborate joke.. but then hearing him in interviews, he sounds like he's just genuinely just into the music he makes. in a completely unironic way. which i believe he is..

but then, his whole look just seems too perfect and calculated. the dirty white clothes, the perpetual angry heshen expressions, the absurdly simplistic lyrics. (i saw one of his singles at the record store and noticed that the b-side track was about, well.. partying. chalk another one up.)..

Andrew W.K.: party-animal heshen? or marketing savvy postmodern artiste?
Go to Top of Page

Dave Noisy
Minister of Chaos

Canada
4496 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  12:55:44  Show Profile  Visit Dave Noisy's Homepage
hmm..guess i'll check his stuff out..

For me, a great 'party' album is Beck's Midnight Vultures..is it anything like that?
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  14:52:32  Show Profile
Floop says it well. AWK also has a song on the Jackass soundtrack called "We Want Fun."

The interesting thing is, Andrew WK is only in his early 20's. Maybe even 22 or 23.

I'm actually a little hesitant to buy his new album, only because I'm afraid it won't evolve much from "I Get Wet." Nevertheless I will buy it, as Best Buy has it for $8.99 this week.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  16:08:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

For me, a great 'party' album is Beck's Midnight Vultures..is it anything like that?

it's nothing like that. it's actually kind of annoying at first, but then catchy somehow.

i think it's probably some of the best music to use if you want to annoy your neighbors (ranking up there with Black Sabbath)..

it's also fun to put in your CD player at inappropriate moments.. like, first thing in the morning to play for your girlfriend (or neighbors)
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  16:58:45  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Noisy

For me, a great 'party' album is Beck's Midnight Vultures..

Amen! I've playing it on a loop this weekend. I'm going to have to stop before my daughter learns all the lyrics to "Debra."
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  17:24:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by floop

it's also fun to put in your CD player at inappropriate moments.. like, first thing in the morning to play for your girlfriend (or neighbors)

I spent the night at my friends house one time, and I get woken up to him blaring AWK. He strapped his (unplugged) electric guitar on and pretended he was playing along with it, all the while obnoxiously stepping on my sleeping bag and hitting me with his guitar while I lay helpless. This was his way of waking me up.

It was funny I admit.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

Crispy Water
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
819 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  17:51:49  Show Profile  Visit Crispy Water's Homepage
What I think is funny about him and made it easier to want to fall for his gimmick is that according to his interviews and that, he lives a sober lifestyle. I wonder whether he has a big laugh about all the beer companies wanting his songs, if he's not a drinker or anything. I think he only goes so over the top with everything to get noticed. Is he making fun of the public, seeing how many of them will go for it? I don't know, I think I hope so.

Nothing is ever something.
Go to Top of Page

Ebb Vicious
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1162 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  20:00:25  Show Profile  Visit Ebb Vicious's Homepage

well he's actually older than me, he's 26. he was a year ahead of me in school.

he's not smart enough to be ironic or manipulative. his personality in his interviews is his actual personality. he thinks music is all about having fun and being happy, and that's what he strives for. he's just not that bright so his simplistic noise is all he can come up with.
Go to Top of Page

Chip Away Boy
= Cult of Ray =

914 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  23:51:07  Show Profile
i cant belive the quality of this album is even being entertained.
Go to Top of Page

Carolynanna
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Canada
6556 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  08:31:48  Show Profile
My brothers love AWK but they are total metalheads, my hubby likes him pretty much for the sole reason that his drummer used to be in Obituary. Ah the shit I have to listen to...
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  13:26:22  Show Profile
So I got AWK's new album today. After first listen it sounds pretty good.

Compared to his last one, there are alot more slower-tempo songs, more guitar solos in the upper registers, a few more fills from the drums, and ... well, still songs about having fun. There are definitely elements from the first album apparent on the new one.

Again, i've only heard it once on a not-so-good car stereo.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  19:03:34  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
Again with the car stereo!

Actually, mine's probably about a million times shittier than yours.

Edited by - Chris Knight on 09/09/2003 19:04:36
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  19:16:06  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
I still think that I win the prize for Worst Car Stereo Ever. Wanna arm wrestle for it?

Edited by - mereubu on 09/09/2003 19:16:31
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  19:51:45  Show Profile
Mereubu gets the prize for WCSE, hands down! It's so bad I really want to suppress it from my memory. If you must though... enlighten everyone. (I guess in a way, it makes me stereo seem pretty hot.)

Right now, I have a tape deck in my car, so I use a sony discman, and a discman >> tape converter thing. The speakers are crap but at least they can handle a little bass. The acoustics in my car are terrible. I think I want to replace the interior with wooden seats and floors.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  20:34:20  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
I've the same setup as you Derek, except that my speakers cannot handle the bass. I have to crank it up when I'm on an interstate due to a competition with engine noise, and the speakers always distort wildly. It sounds kinda good with more lo-fi albums like The Amps' 'Pacer', but I generally leave the thing off unless I'm in town or listening to a highly-coveted album for the first time.

"Worst Car Stereo Ever" has potential as a song title, I think. Anyway, bring it on, MereUbu!

When the hell is CBS gonna do a Murphy Brown reunion?
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  08:10:56  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
OK, my car is 20 years old and all the original stereo equipment is shot to hell. Since I refuse to install something that would most likely be worth more than the actual car, I have velcroed two Sony battery-operated computer speakers & a discman to the dash. This summer, the sun melted the adhesive and now the left speaker is literally dangling from a thread. Time for new velcro.

In high school I had a set of Kicker amps. My mother bought them for me, and to this day I have no idea why.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  09:24:13  Show Profile
my car stereo is pretty sweet.. not to rub it in or anything, but spending so much time in my car, i couldn't deal with a shitty stereo (i probably listen to more music in my car than anywhere else)..

as for AWK being taken seriously. i don't really take him seriously.. but i think he's interesting. and his music is fun.

i consider my AWK cd to be almost a novelty CD.. like King Missile or something. something you put on every now and then for fun but don't really take that seriously as "music"..
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  10:39:53  Show Profile
Yeah, you really can't take AWK too seriously, or he will come off being even cheesier than he already is.

I definitely need a new stereo because I listen to 80% of my music in my car.

-Derek
Go to Top of Page

ProverbialCereal
- FB TabMaster -

USA
2953 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  20:33:38  Show Profile
After listening a bunch of times, this album definitely rocks. Anyone else get it? The guy may be cheesy, but his brand is passionate cheese.

"I joined the Incredible Cult of Frank / Then I got pissed and turned green"
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  01:01:12  Show Profile
Oh Derek, don't get me started on AWK... At least listen to Def Leopard or something.

ixies
Go to Top of Page

glacial906
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  09:56:58  Show Profile
I haven't heard AWK, but floop, you mentioned you had to have the same mindset to listen to him as King Missile. Are they similar? King Missile is pretty cool, although I'd have to be in a very nonchalont mood to listen to them. I do like "Detatchable Penis." Remember their song about Martin Scorcese? That was pretty funny.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000