Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

big_galoof
= Cult of Ray =

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  11:01:25  Show Profile  Visit big_galoof's Homepage
Black Talks "Tears," Pixies

New solo set due in September

For his ninth solo release, Frank Black wears his tears on his sleeve. The first recording after Black and his wife of sixteen years divorced, Show Me Your Tears is strikingly personal by his standards, featuring thirteen songs tinged with sadness, blues, booze and rambling.

"You know, nothing like a little divorce and therapy to bring the sadness out of you," Black says. "Though, it's funny how some of the songs actually predate the divorce proceedings. I thought I was just writing Country and Western songs, but I guess it would end up being kind of prophetic."

Though the lyrics on Tears, due September 9th, are tinged with hurt and regret, Black and the Catholics (guitarists Rich Gilbert and David Philips, bassist David McCaffrey and drummer Scott Boutier) hardly shoe-gaze, infusing the songs with plenty of rock energy. "I still seek to entertain," he says, laughing. "Even if it's from a dark place, it is a pop record after all. I don't wanna drag anyone down."

Black admits that the album's mood (and certainly its title) might have been flavored by his forays into therapy. "You get all emotional and everything," he says, "talking about your feelings and all that [laughs]. My wife had been trying to get me to go down this road of being a little more direct for some years. So I had to go find something to make me cry, some artificial thing. 'Why don't you get a sad movie,' [my therapist] said. Are you kidding me? I laugh at people that cry at films. Having said that, I got into this Elliott Smith record that I discovered through The Royal Tenenbaums. I can pop on "Needle in the Hay," just thirty seconds and I'll be bawling like a baby."

As with his dual 2002 releases Devil's Workshop and Black Letter Days, Tears was recorded live to two-track by the Catholics in their mobile studio. "Going live forces everybody playing to either ham it up or cut the bullshit or dig deep and give us something," Black says, "because it's all there on the tape. You can't erase anything. There's a little bit of a tightrope aspect. And hopefully we have enough perspective when we do it to recognize the failures and leave them off the record."

Black and the Catholics plan to take Tears over to Europe this fall, returning to the States for dates early next year -- which should provide ample time to calm some of the eager murmuring inspired by his appearance on a London radio station earlier this month, when he said, "I do dream about the Pixies reunion." Two years ago, Black told Rolling Stone that such an event would take place "if I were penniless or a family member needed a kidney transplant."

Black won't rule out the possibility, but he seems happiest doing what he's been doing for the past ten years. "The Brits are so talented with their sarcasm, I figured I'd try it out a little bit, but they didn't get it at all," he says of his Pixies reunion comments. "There's nothing planned, but the offers are always there on the table from the promoters. I can't say it won't happen, but I won't say it will. Joey [guitarist Santiago] and I have to get really drunk to start talking about the Pixies. Who knows, maybe in our next little drinking session, we'll decide to do it."

Show Me Your Tears track listing:

Nadine
Everything Is New
My Favorite Kiss
Jaina Blues
New House of the Pope
Horrible Day
Massif Centrale
When Will Happiness Find Me Again?
Goodbye Lorraine
This Old Heartache
The Snake
Coastline
Manitoba

ANDREW DANSBY
(July 23, 2003)

ramona
"FB Quote Mistress"

USA
3988 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  11:29:09  Show Profile  Visit ramona's Homepage
Excellent! Thanks, BG!
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2003 :  18:35:43  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Good one! I kind of guessed he was being sarcastic about the Pixies.... still he's not ruling it out. Does anyone know if Nadine is a reference to his break up?? After all he says on the cooking vinyl site that 'Maybe NADINE is a sexual celebration, but man, I get so sad when I think about her, way back when, ah fuck, whatever happened to me and her?'

Right I'm going to see if my P266 is up to the task of downloading SMYT.

War....... Its not fantastic
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2003 :  08:52:05  Show Profile
Maybe Nadine is the girl who inspired Cactus, Frank said that was an ex girlfriend when he was in college.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2003 :  09:46:40  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Frank was in jail around/after college while dating Nadine? ;)

---------
FRANK BLACK SATAN WORKSHIP BLACK MASS
Go to Top of Page

Visiting Sasquatch
= Cult of Ray =

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2003 :  10:55:26  Show Profile
I didn't know he divorced...wow. So sorry, Frank.

...That Elliot Smith song is excellent, btw.
Go to Top of Page

ivandivel
= Cult of Ray =

394 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2003 :  11:16:43  Show Profile
i didn't know he was divorced either. But the first time I heard BLD, i thought he sounded like a heart-broken man.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2003 :  21:26:03  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
The divorce is a very recent thing, in my understanding. Definitely a post-BLD thing. Hell, I think it happened well after all the SMYT recordings wrapped up. It's sad news indeed.

---------
Go to Top of Page

spunXtain
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  00:16:25  Show Profile  Click to see spunXtain's MSN Messenger address
..and a chorus of the lonely.. in their gospel robes, of course.. they were singin' bout my imminent divorce...

Got coffee, got donuts, got wasted..
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  13:52:41  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
Still though, no hope of ever reading an article that doesn't mention the Pixies.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6116 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  14:09:14  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
I don't see that happen ever again

Paul mcCartney articles are also full of beatles stuff

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

Malax
* Dog in the Sand *

United Kingdom
1340 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  17:11:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by El Barto

The divorce is a very recent thing, in my understanding. Definitely a post-BLD thing. Hell, I think it happened well after all the SMYT recordings wrapped up. It's sad news indeed.

---------

Just because the divorce was recent doesnt mean things were fine up until the day they got divorced!
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  19:33:40  Show Profile
That is too bad, poor Frank. I guess this means no chance of hearing Letter to Memphis or Speedy Marie again, weep.
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2003 :  19:34:13  Show Profile
That is too bad, poor Frank. I guess this means no chance of hearing Letter to Memphis or Speedy Marie again, weep.
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11687 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  07:59:36  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Or End of Miles? I figure he'll play them when he's settled it with himself and maybe it will take on more of a blues tone.
Go to Top of Page

vilainde
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Niue
7441 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  08:06:22  Show Profile  Visit vilainde's Homepage
Or Dog Gone, or Jane... A lot of his songs are actually very personal.

Denis
Go to Top of Page

gracie
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
573 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  10:34:05  Show Profile
very sad news indeed considering how long they had been together.

frank was right on the money with elliott smith, he really is amazing and needle in the hay is one of my favourites, along with last call.
if you haven't bothered with him in the past, i really recommend that you buy an album, you won't regret it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000