Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 why did they call the band the "Pixies"?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DrWorm
- FB Fan -

81 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  12:09:28  Show Profile
kinda a odd name.. does it have any special meaning?

everyone someone see's my cd wallet full of pixies CD's.. they associate them with 80's gay groups like Wham! and stuff... so i gotta put in a little trompe le monde and let them sample some good music =)

frank black/ween/tmbg. . .
nuff said.

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  12:25:28  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
They were flipping through a dictionary and were finding words randomly. Joey stumbled upon Pixies and liked it...they were originally named Pixies in Panoply, but obviously shortened it.
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  19:38:11  Show Profile
Yeah when I got Surfer Rosa, I was with my cousin and he thought they were gay because they were called Pixies...Then I peeled the sticker off and he saw the cover
Go to Top of Page

therewererumours
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1240 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  21:45:26  Show Profile  Visit therewererumours's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DrWorm

kinda a odd name.. does it have any special meaning?

everyone someone see's my cd wallet full of pixies CD's.. they associate them with 80's gay groups like Wham! and stuff... so i gotta put in a little trompe le monde and let them sample some good music =)

frank black/ween/tmbg. . .
nuff said.

Get new friends, are you 14?

"I meet a man with no little toe and a real big head"
Go to Top of Page

Douglas
= Cult of Ray =

Sweden
308 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  16:05:32  Show Profile
a "pixie" can be several different things, right? but it's always some kind of fantasy/fairy tale figure, like an elf. correct me if I'm wrong...
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  18:13:30  Show Profile
its a 'mischievous elf'.
thats why joey liked it. i think he said it described what the band were doin.

in your face, space coyote!!
Go to Top of Page

thecomeons
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  06:09:21  Show Profile  Visit thecomeons's Homepage
debassing wimmin?

my manta is a ray
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2003 :  15:19:44  Show Profile
got it in one. kim started it tho.

bored of the little comments. i guess i'll just have an actual signature. much shorter.
-Jessie
Go to Top of Page

thecomeons
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  04:02:51  Show Profile  Visit thecomeons's Homepage
kim started debassing wimmin?

my manta is a ray
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  14:25:47  Show Profile
uh huh. her first victim was tanya d. thats why tanya like her so much!
are we talkin bout the same debasing?

bored of the little comments. i guess i'll just have an actual signature. much shorter.
-Jessie
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  14:31:47  Show Profile
He appears to be talking about "debassing", which I assume is some convoluted form of "taking someone's bass", scrunched up into one easy to use, over the counter verb. As for "wimmin", I don't know, other than to say that perhaps this is the latest extreme feminist hype word, as even "womyn" is no longer anti-male enough for them.

Speaking of "debassing", whatever happened to Josephine Wiggs? Have you seen Kelley Deal's website with the "Where's Waldo" style "Where's Josephine" game? They really don't know where she is. That lady plays a tasty bass. I love the tone she gets Last Splash. Not to mention S.O.S. is an awesome song and she wrote it. If I played bass, Josephine would be my hero. Or Les Claypool, but just for the weirdness and the six-string fretless bass. Hardcore.
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  14:34:49  Show Profile
*likes, not like. caveman talk is all the rage, kiddies.

-Jessie
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  14:35:33  Show Profile
Oh, and uh, get yer arse to the bloody 3 albums thread. I've followed you around the board, I'll follow you around the UK, too, lassy.

PS Download the song "The Blarney Stone" by Ween. Classic!
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  14:41:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

Not to mention S.O.S. is an awesome song and she wrote it. If I played bass, Josephine would be my hero. Or Les Claypool, but just for the weirdness and the six-string fretless bass. Hardcore.

she wrote sos? i think the prodigy should be sued by her as they say kim wrote it.
and then we would know where she is.

-Jessie
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  14:44:45  Show Profile
I'm fairly sure she wrote sos. I could be wrong. It's been known to happen. You're right, it's unlikely. I'm right.
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  14:48:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by speedy_m

Oh, and uh, get yer arse to the bloody 3 albums thread. I've followed you around the board, I'll follow you around the UK, too, lassy.

PS Download the song "The Blarney Stone" by Ween. Classic!

i answered you.
you're following me???
ween have been to the blarney stone? are they following me too?
i don't live in the uk. that would be like saying i'll follow you round the USA.ok?

-Jessie
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2003 :  15:09:42  Show Profile
Please stop yelling at me, I'm very fragile. I cry at the drop of a hat. I apologize deeply for my Euro-faux pas, and will never make such a mistake again, I assure. Your USA-Canada example is spot on,I would have been filled with rage and several pints of ale if you had made a similar mistake. I don't know if Ween have been to the Blarney Stone, but by the sounds of the song, they are aware of your stereotypical Irish culture/drinking song. Yes, I'm following you. Ween may be as well. I have an impressive network of spies.
Go to Top of Page

thecomeons
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  01:40:51  Show Profile  Visit thecomeons's Homepage
spies? the best spies are filled with minced meat and eaten with potatoes and two veg.

my manta is a ray
Go to Top of Page

frank_black_francis
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
895 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  09:26:09  Show Profile  Visit frank_black_francis's Homepage
I'VE READ THAT STORY ABOUT THEM FLIPPING THRU A DICTIONARY.....ALSO, I'VE READ THAT PIXIES ARE FAIRIES THAT SING AND TELL SECRETS TO SOMEONE THAT NO ONE ELSE CAN HEAR.....ALSO, IN THE MOVIE MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN WITH GARY COOPER, OLD LADIES DESCRIBE MR.DEEDS TO BE 'PIXILLATED, AS IF PIXIES WERE SINGING IN HIS EAR"
Go to Top of Page

thecomeons
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  13:51:40  Show Profile  Visit thecomeons's Homepage
the story i read in an early interview was of joey's fascination with the english language. it's not his first language, as i am sure you all know, so he liked to read dictionaries. the orginal name was pixies in panolpy. and was shortened by charles to the pixies.

my manta is a ray
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  15:05:42  Show Profile
where's panolpy?
mike, if you follow me i'll walk around in a circle, therefore following YOU!
ha ha, didn't see that one comimg, eh?

-Jessie
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  15:21:00  Show Profile
I saw you coming a mile away. Mostly due to the small cirucumference of the circle we're walking around.
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  15:38:43  Show Profile
i'm dizzy.

-Jessie
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  15:40:34  Show Profile
Jessie, get yer teenager of the year wanna be arse to the fb pictionary thread. No one will answer mine. I've got ten minutes to kill 'fore I can go home and be happy.
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  05:24:53  Show Profile
sorry. someone got it. i don't own pistelero or fb+cs(shock!!!horror!!) so i have never heard new house of the popes or whatever!!!

-Jessie
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  07:00:58  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
Jessie- panolpy (sic) is not a place. it's a typo

PANOPLY is armor of some kind. So 'Pixies in Panoply' would be little fairies in armor. Or something along those lines...
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  07:59:52  Show Profile
Okay, first off not owning Pistolero is crime and you should be punished greatly (sounds like another flight to Ireland for... <sigh>), and secondly, "New House of the Popes or Whatever" is from Show Me Your Tears. Time to get you an edumacation, me thinks. The School of Frank is now in session. Back straight, eyes forward, no visiting. Corporal punishment shall be used liberally. First assignment, polish those boots and buy a bloody copy of Pistolero!
Go to Top of Page

Little Black Francis
> Teenager of the Year <

3648 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  11:38:50  Show Profile
yeah, that's a lot of posts for not owning pistolero and being relatively clueless

ain't it
Go to Top of Page

PsychicTwin
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1772 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  13:16:19  Show Profile  Visit PsychicTwin's Homepage
Buy FB&C self-titled. It kicks a copious amount of ass.

And for the love of all that is holy....get Pistolero! (my personal fave)
(just in case these other two fools didn't drill that in your head enough by now)
...trust me, when you hear it you'll be shocked and self-flagellating yourself for not having already picked it up a long long time ago (much like my introduction to the Pixies in college).

Edited by - PsychicTwin on 07/11/2003 13:17:36
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  13:21:12  Show Profile
Fools? What? Oh, me. I see. Carry on.
Go to Top of Page

thecomeons
- FB Fan -

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  14:20:00  Show Profile  Visit thecomeons's Homepage
teenager, fb&tc and pistolero. the "must have" fb albums. the others are great too, but those are the ones you will listen too more often. imho.

my manta is a ray
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  15:13:28  Show Profile
i must remind you i live in the arse of ireland and record shops aint exactly great. i've travelled to cork and such areas to find dog in the sand etc. so if i ever see pistelero + fb+cs I WOULD BUY THEM!
and i've not downloaded SMYT or got any info on it cos i want to have a clear mind when i hear it when it comes out(i'll be buying it if i can the day it comes out).

-Jessie
Go to Top of Page

speedy_m
= Frankofile =

Canada
3581 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  15:19:11  Show Profile
Pipe down ya filthy excuse-monkey. Just ring up cookingvinyl.com on yer compu-box and place an order. Don't make me rile you...
Go to Top of Page

Brackish Girl
~ Soul Eater ~

Ireland
1750 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  13:41:15  Show Profile
ring up??? i don't have a credit card or computer smarts you...craw-dog. that's right! craw-dog!!!

-Jessie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000