Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 How long do you think they'll be around?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spunXtain
= Cult of Ray =

USA
377 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  20:42:52  Show Profile  Click to see spunXtain's MSN Messenger address
How long do you guys think that Frank Black and the Catholics will be around? Another 3 or 4 years? I hope that they at least finish this decade... and if I had it my way they would tour until Frank's health left him unable to (which i hope is many many decades from now)

Everyone please state your opinion, and if by some chance FrankusBlackus reads this, just know that we love you and we never want you to stop making music for us, and that you are very much appreciated for sharing your talent with the world!

I'm lost and I am lonesome to the core...

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2003 :  20:52:10  Show Profile
i don't see Frank ever stopping.. he's got too much passion for what he does.. plus, he's so fucking good at it. i think Frank will be like a Bob Dylan figure..

don't look back.
Go to Top of Page

Bartholomew
= Cult of Ray =

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  06:00:18  Show Profile
Floop's hit it on the head. He won't stop until he drops. Like Dylan sure, but maybe more like Neil Young (he puts out tons of albums). Either way, I'm with the big guy for life. Even if he pulls a Neil Young and has a bad decade like ol' Neil did in the 80's. Frank Black for President. Can I get a witness?
Go to Top of Page

bazza
* Dog in the Sand *

Ireland
1439 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  07:20:02  Show Profile
do you lot think frank is very very wealthy now by the way?

There may be no 'I' in team, but there's a 'ME' if you look hard enough.
Go to Top of Page

attilathehunny
- FB Fan -

9 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  07:32:10  Show Profile
>>do you lot think frank is very very wealthy now by the way?<<

Doubt it. I would guess that he makes most of his money off of Pixies royalties. I'm sure Where Is My Mind? keeps him in clean socks. It seems like every time I turn around it's in some movie or on some TV show.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  07:41:59  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
Frank won't stop in the near future. He's (almost) 38 years old.
That's not very old for a performer (well maybe too old to be on TRL)
So we will have his music for at least another decade.

(I hope...)

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

Perhaps
- FB Fan -

133 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  07:48:01  Show Profile
I'd say another 15 years. But I wonder if he can continue the circuit he plays. Moving his own equipment, playing smoke-filled joints...

I don't know about the Dylan reference (43 albums, including epic ballads; desolation, one-eyed jack, tangled, etc...). I am sorry and happy to say, I don't think anyone can touch that legacy.

Black has his own. I see it a bit more akin to Lou Reed's or possibly Nick Cave's. Even if not, these are all people that are still around, and will be forever cherished.
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  10:24:30  Show Profile
Frank said awhile back that he didn't plan on playing rock music for the rest of his life, but that was around 1996-1997, which was sort of a low point for Frank (Cult of Ray wasn't well recieved, the first Catholics album was near impossible to release). Now that his shows and career are recieving more enthusiasm, I can see him going on for a long time...although the extensive extensive touring might eventually slow down.
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  10:58:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Perhaps
I don't know about the Dylan reference (43 albums, including epic ballads; desolation, one-eyed jack, tangled, etc...). I am sorry and happy to say, I don't think anyone can touch that legacy.

yeah, you're right.. i was thinking more in terms of just, still keeping on even when he's in his 50's, 60's etc.. not so much quantity of output (although if Frank keeps up this current rate, he could catch up to old Bob)..

on an unrelated note, i actually got to meet Bob Dylan last year becasue i worked on this movie he wrote/stars in..

that's my namedrop for the day.
Go to Top of Page

Steak n Sabre
* Dog in the Sand *

Uzbekistan
1013 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  11:28:11  Show Profile  Visit Steak n Sabre's Homepage
Well, I have not seen any signs of FB slowing down at all. Look at guys like Dick Dale and Link Wray, still touring well past "retirement" age, and putting on great shows. As long as the audience is out there, there's no reason to stop unless you want (or have) to.
Go to Top of Page

CreatureCrawling
- FB Fan -

43 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2003 :  13:40:08  Show Profile
Frank will quit when Frank quits. As far as the Catholics being with him, only the shadow knows. I see Frank playing as long as he wants to (or has to if there is any money issues in his present or future.) He just seem to be a guy that will play by his rules, with integrity and respect for himself and his music. And I think that's why we all dig him...
Go to Top of Page

marcusb
= Cult of Ray =

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  20:20:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Steak n Sabre

Well, I have not seen any signs of FB slowing down at all. Look at guys like Dick Dale and Link Wray..

Chuck Berry too. Though I hear his shows aren't always that great.. but he is still playing.. I had tickets to see him in Columbus July 3rd last year.. but he cancelled :| My friend and I decided to get a refund but we should have gone because Link Wray was playing..
Go to Top of Page

gvil
- FB Fan -

15 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2003 :  22:52:13  Show Profile
When I saw Frank's show last month he looked like he lost weight compared to the 99 show I saw. If he stays healthy who know how long he'll last. After the show I went to meet the band by their bus and I think I was drunker than the whole band together (bad for me good for them). They didn't seen like partyers to me and if they're done and over that phase they can last a hell of a long time. One things for certain though, the more Frank writes the closer he's going to get to a hit record. He's just too good for that not to happen. The guy above was right that he'll never make TRL, but I think one of these days the world will catch up with Franks music and he'll be filling stadiums. The odds are with him many an artist has done it in the past. IE.. MEAT LOAF bad example but I think you understand
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  13:26:25  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
He's definitely lost weight. I believe he's been doing a lot of hiking with his wife.
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
6013 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  14:52:13  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
yes hiking! I heard him saying that on the radio.
Just to get in shape

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  19:22:45  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
I think that when Frank quits it will be a tragedy for us all... so hopefully he can continue turning chords into gold at the amazing rate he has been recently. Although Sept. seems so far away to wait for the great songs I heard at the Saskatoon concert to be released on the next album. :) Oh, and Nadine rocks btw.
Go to Top of Page

NimrodsSon
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1938 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  19:45:11  Show Profile
I don't think Frank will ever just quit. I mean, the Catholics definitely won't be together forever but if Frank's been singing his whole life and he's 38 years old, he's not just going to stop. He might stop touring but I'm sure he'd still do at least like clubs in LA or something
Go to Top of Page

echo park
- FB Fan -

Saint Barthelemy
128 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  22:11:31  Show Profile
The man is a lifer and has in recent times found a groove that seems to be the makings of a good, honest lifestyle of making music with a minimum of bullshit. This is my perspective as a fan. Also, my impression having spent a long night in the studio recording with the fellas a few weeks ago - this guy is very happy to be doing this work and seems very grounded and at peace when recording. I guess most of the hard work was long done, having developed these songs with plenty of touring. But it was one of the most comfortable sessions I've had yet - and going live to 2-track requires patience and energy! The feeling was that you could just keep on doing this for the rest of your life! I can't see him stopping making records and at least playing locally among friends. Of course, I happened to be in a mellow shock of sorts during the session - how did I get here?!? I had been hooked on this stuff since going to a smelly club in 1987 when living in Boston! Every record and many shows!! I realized after that session that I'm a lifer, too, when it comes to making music. I learned so much about making good music that night.

That's the thing - even when we find ourselves at that point when Frank Black is no longer what we think of now, this guy will have long changed rock music for the better. And if he does hang it up sometime soon, I will be less emabarassed to play out the music that I've started that is so blatantly Black!
Go to Top of Page

echo park
- FB Fan -

Saint Barthelemy
128 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2003 :  22:44:47  Show Profile
Oh...*they*... sorry!

The Catholics... probably depends on when the babies start popping out. Joey Santiago and his wife recently had their first, and it seemed to be a chunk of downtime for their band. But I've actually heard noises that they may try to do some gigs (The Martinis) later this summer, they've got a record in the can, ready for a release. Hope they do it!

It may just be a matter of there being a number of Catholics around over the forthcoming years. Dave Philips is a fantastic addition and he's young enough to be in for the long haul. Just the same he's awesome and professional enough to get picked up by some big time outfit. Rich has had to make decisions about playing other gigs, missing some shows last year, though his contribution to the music is more than an instrumentalist - it would be a shame to miss more of him. Meanwhile, do we think Lyle has been 'ex-communicated'? I still think of him as a Catholic. Scott made the move out here to L.A. a little while back and I would think that makes working as a Catholic a lot easier. Dave McCaffrey and Rich are living back in Boston area. I actually hope Dave moves out, too, cause he's the kind of guy we need more of out here! There's plenty of amazing talented players who are a joy to work with too. Van Dyke Parks!! That there is a monster talent that anyone would be more than ecstatic to have around on a session and he's such a true Southern Gentleman. Eric Feldman. Nick Vincent. Joey. Dave Lovering - maybe these guys aren't Catholic, but they're happy to be around! And who wouldn't have them?

Sorry to get all blathery but I just recently discovered this cool forum and I actually think about this stuff!!
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  00:20:05  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
I personally wish that Eric Drew Feldman was a full time Catholic, but I think that Frank's departure from his earlier solo style (Orange/TOTY in particular) might not be ideal for what Eric was best at. I get the feeling that Frank is really more about straightforward piano and less of the synthesized magic that Eric brought to the earlier stuff. Not to say that Eric's most recent contributions aren't still amazing (Dog In The Sand piano/clavioline = incredible), but I think that Eric was really in his element when Frank played around a little more with his sound. What would be nice would be to see Rich Gilbert & Eric both become full time Catholics, but then they'd need a bigger van I guess. I can't wait to hear Van Dyke Parks on Show Me Your Tears, in particular I can't wait for Manitoba. Is it true that there are 12 different instruments on that track? And how exactly is it that you were in on the recording sessions, you lucky, lucky, #$%#$(%*@? :)
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  05:09:40  Show Profile
cult of frank, i couldn't agree more about Eric Drew Feldman and the current recording style.. despite the fact that i love everything Frank's been doing, part of me wishes he'd go out on a limb again and experiment with some more multi-track stuff.. with EDF figuring in in a big way, like on the first two records. you put those two in a studio together and they can do no wrong, in my opinion. the first FB record is still one of my favorites.

i'm very pro-EDF..

say hi to Echo Park for me, and LA in general... (i'm on the East Coast for 5 months, i miss home)..

Floop
Go to Top of Page

misterwoe
= Cult of Ray =

Greece
675 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  09:19:00  Show Profile  Visit misterwoe's Homepage
Just look at Jonathan Richman. He is still playing.

How about some Ether?
Go to Top of Page

echo park
- FB Fan -

Saint Barthelemy
128 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  19:09:35  Show Profile
quote:
What would be nice would be to see Rich Gilbert & Eric both become full time Catholics, but then they'd need a bigger van I guess. I can't wait to hear Van Dyke Parks on Show Me Your Tears, in particular I can't wait for Manitoba. Is it true that there are 12 different instruments on that track? And how exactly is it that you were in on the recording sessions, you lucky, lucky, #$%#$(%*@? :)

Well, Certainly Rich is 100% full time Catholic, though he does 'sleep around' with other artists.

How do you know about Manitoba? That's the one we were there for! Let's see, a quick count from memory yields... 11 instruments... 6 vocalists, including Our Hero.

Lucky, lucky - yes. I credit Stan Ridgway, who my friend says, is the Master of Ceremonies - wherever he may be at any given time... The short version is we went to see FB in the Disastodrome show at UCLA. We were there with a friend who introduced us to Stan. Afterwards, Stan introduced us to Charles Thompson. There is a long great story here. I've got 8 big journal pages of it...Someday... But we do live in L.A. and do professional music gigs, get to know a lot of players, so it wasn't comletely inconceivable...

Edited by - echo park on 04/08/2003 19:21:59
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  19:13:55  Show Profile
i was at Disastodrome too. but i didn't end up getting to play with Frank. :(
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  19:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
I dream about DREAMING about playing with Frank in any capacity - but with all the talented people he has, there's not much of a chance of that I think :). Still, that's very, very cool. I'm not sure where I heard about Manitoba, I think in a local newspaper interview or something like that, but yeah, I really am looking forward. What did you think of it (although you probably haven't heard the final version)?
Go to Top of Page

floop
= Wannabe Volunteer =

Mexico
15297 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  20:32:44  Show Profile
c'mon echo. you gots to be spillin more dirt than that.

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Of_Frank
= Black Noise Maker =

Canada
11674 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  20:37:36  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Of_Frank's Homepage
Definitely I'm with floop on this one. We're all ready for a tell all expose entitled "Echo Park: A Tell All Expose". Yes, it's not very creatively titled, but then again, it's not MY expose, now is it? :)
Go to Top of Page

echo park
- FB Fan -

Saint Barthelemy
128 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  20:46:23  Show Profile
well, guys, i have to admit to feeling a bit uneasy about these beans - it's a good size can, after all. But I'm in a funny position as an enormous fan, who loves to talk about this stuff, and also as a professional musician/recording engineer who has learned not to go around blabbing about other people's works in progress...

I, too, have had dreams where the man has handed me a guitar in the studio... maybe someday! I sang back-ups at this session.

I'm pretty sure I heard the 'final' version. We did all the musicians at once - live takes mixed direct to tape, into the wee hours, then they hit the road a couple days later. There may have been an earlier session for that song that I haven't heard.
What can I say, it's a beautiful song... it has stuck with me and grown in my mind like the weeks after hearing a new album. Go and see them live and you will hear it!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000