3/22/03---Rosebud, Pittsburgh
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arm Arm Arm
* Dog in the Sand *

1034 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2003 :  09:02:49  Show Profile
Thanks to Broken Face for the setlist. It was good to talk to him after the show and he seemed pretty cool.

I didn't hang around for autographs or photos but damn! It's shitty those obnoxious chicks were there. They were awful during the show, at one point, one of them touched the cable going into Frank's acoustic; Jesus!

The same woman kept raising her beer in the air and her and her friends would wave at the stage and yell, "HI FRAAANK! HI!"

Horrible. I did my best to tune them out during the show and finally at one point they switched positions with their un-obnoxious friends, but anyway, c'est la vie and too much about them.

The show was great. 30 songs. Frank spoke a bit more than he did the night before, during the band intro's he introduced everyone and then paused before Dave Phillips, then he said the name real quickly as if Dave isn't that important. Then he laughed and said he was joking and pointed out that Dave had been with them now for a bit. Dave said something I didn't catch and smiled.

Also, it may have been at the start of the encore, Frank referenced how "Acts of God and Man" had kept them from playing Pittsburgh and how happy they were to see us there and to be there. Pretty cool.

So...here's my take of the songs...

Where is my mind

Bullet (extended middle, Rich takes a short solo then...Frank sings the next line but Rich's guitar isn't working, so he steps back from the mike and keeps riffing, the band just grooves along, until he's together...then back into it! Awesome)

Cold heart of stone (sounded better than Columbus)

Los Angeles (During the Rich Gilbert Noise-a-thon, prior to the drumstick, Frank walks over to him and nods his head as he's drinking water. Rich and Frank look at each other and share a cool rock moment)

California Bound

Gouge Away (just amazing...)

All My Ghosts (Frank starts this out by hitting the first chord like, three times and then into it...but the actual intro sounded a bit messed up---still sounded good---we get a great Gilbert solo)

Hermaphroditos (cool intro but they skipped the extended outro, I thought it was about to start but instead Frank started hitting the riff to....)

Velvety

Black Letter Day (first time hearing it...sounded great with an awesome extended ending)

How you went so far (the outro has Gilbert on the steel guitar)

New House of the Pope

Goodbye Lorraine (sweet sounding melody)

Whiskey in your shoes

Holiday Song (not as good as Columbus)

Jane, the Queen of Love

Manitoba (prior to playing this, Frank looks at Dave Phillips and points with his hand to the ceiling, fingers together. This is another great new song, the lyrics sound something like, "I have seen the Face of God and I have paid the price." It's a real heavy groover, very atmospheric.)

Southbound Bevy (I think it was on this one that Dave Phillips got to do an outro solo...pretty cool)

Robert Onion

Helloise

Nimrod's Son (perhaps the best version of this ever...starts out slow and countrified, keeps going that way...then Pow! Revs up and rocks out)

Mr. Grieves

Cactus (less of an intro than the night before but still, just amazing...)

Men in Black
Cracity Jones
I want rock and roll
-------------------------------
monkey gone to heaven (this was a request from someone)
nadine
new song (I really like this song, it's long and good, with various time changes)

black rider (a bit of a jauntier version than Columbus, not as intense, still good though. By this point in the night I was wonderfully exhaused)

So...if you're on the fence about going, go! go! go! It's a lot of fun and just amazing.

cheers
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000