Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pataphysician1
- FB Fan -

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2003 :  23:28:24  Show Profile
___

[MOVED - For once, someone posts FB news in General chat instead of the other way around]

Edited by - pataphysician1 on 03/15/2003 23:27:08

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  00:02:48  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
cheers for the news..... any idea when its gonna be released??

International Air Guitar Hitman
Go to Top of Page

Chris Knight
= Cult of Ray =

USA
899 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  01:02:00  Show Profile  Visit Chris Knight's Homepage
Cowriter?! Frank IS selling out! Naw, I'm just jerking yer chain. Thanks for the info.
Go to Top of Page

steveplymouthuk
= Cult of Ray =

United Kingdom
639 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  02:24:12  Show Profile  Visit steveplymouthuk's Homepage
New album finished: fantastic news!
Go to Top of Page

astroman
- FB Fan -

Portugal
84 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  02:45:04  Show Profile
A new one...Í thing I would have a colapse...Where, when, who
Go to Top of Page

peter radiator
= Cult of Ray =

USA
649 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  09:06:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pataphysician1

I do not know, sir; but I do know some fella' who co-wrote some songs with the Beach Boys, with a rather peculiar name that now escapes me (maybe there "kid" in the name somewhere?), had a hand somehow in the album, I believe as cowriter of some tunes?;
[quote]Originally posted by Stuart
pablobrazil.com

Thanks for the kind update. Was the collaborator Van Dyke Parks, by any chance?

~ Peter Radiator

"Real music is out there and real people are making it." ~ Webb Wilder
Go to Top of Page

theonecontender
= Cult of Ray =

Canada
565 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  09:26:47  Show Profile  Visit theonecontender's Homepage
Sounds like Frank is 'regressing' back to simple rock and roll. Can't wait to hear it!
Go to Top of Page

Mellzah
- FB Fan -

63 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  13:11:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pataphysician1

Yes, Van Dyke Parks! That was indeed the name! In an extra tidbit, I remember b saying someone was telling FB, "Can you believe Norah Jones won all those Grammys," to which FB responded: "Who's that?" The other guy said, "Oh, you'd know it if you heard it," and started singing it. FB: "Still dont know it." Other guy: "You don't listen to the radio much, do you?" FB: "No."

There's really not much worth listening to on the radio.
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  14:35:16  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
Woah! Van Dyke Parks? Amazing...he worked with Brian Wilson on SMiLE, writing a lot of the lyrics (I think he wrote all of "Surf's Up" [the song]...it's brilliant). Can't wait to hear the new album.
Go to Top of Page

Visiting Sasquatch
= Cult of Ray =

USA
451 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  15:13:10  Show Profile
Hehe...I still don't know who Norah Jones is.
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  15:36:35  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
I got to see Van Dyke two years ago here. Good stuff. He was also involved in the whole Mirror Man/Disastodrome thing with Frank as well.
Go to Top of Page

cindy lou
- FB Fan -

141 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  22:54:51  Show Profile
here's is a interview with frank black and van dyke parks

http://www.knittingfactory.com/articles/index.cfm

scroll down it's near the bottom
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  04:29:58  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
Ooh, thank you, cindy lou!
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  07:29:31  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
Feeling California: an interview with Van Dyke Parks and Frank Black PART 1

By Glenn K. Martlin

PART 1
It seems at some point in every great musician’s career, the decision is made to head towards a coast. For some reason--manifest destiny, the climate, the cheap Mexican food--it’s usually the West coast.

After redefining and forever changing indie rock with The Pixies in Boston, Frank Black moved to Los Angeles, where he continues to record an eclectic and ambitious array of rock and pop music and tour frequently with Frank Black and the Catholics.

Hattiesburg, Mississippi-born Van Dyke Parks headed West after formative years in New Jersey and Pennsylvania and signed his first artist contract in 1964. Alongside his legendary work with Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys, the timeless gentleman has produced and arranged for artists ranging from Randy Newman to Rufus Wainwright, composed countless scores for film and television and over the years has selectively released masterpiece albums beginning with Song Cycle in 1967. An unlikely and delightful combination, Mr. Parks and Mr. Black had much to say about the life of a songwriter and the art of songwriting. Knotes: Let’s talk a little bit about Los Angeles as a creative environment. As songwriters, does it matter where you are?

Frank Black: I used to think that where you were didn’t matter because, for me especially, I loved rock music or pop music and I was just really in to it and it didn’t really matter. It’s true to a certain extent, but the more you do it and if you actually become a songwriter and that’s what you do a lot, I think places do start to achieve importance. And California certainly has become important for me—whether you’re singing about the sun or you’re singing about the history. It’s the Pacific Rim, it’s the edge of the continent, there’s a lot of things about it that inspire people to write songs.

Van Dyke Parks: That’s a good point, Frank. When you’re writing songs, you’re developing an involuntary spasm of creating a person that does not exist. You’re putting someone into the ether when you write a song. I believe that. And even if it’s from some imagining you have, some revelation, in spite of your most distant intentions to be separate from that person in the song, you become that person. I believe that. Randy Newman does not believe that. Some people get deep in a song, like Randy Newman does, but I do not agree that the person who sings the song is not the writer. It’s funny, isn’t it?

Frank Black: On the one hand you are writing a song about someone that does not exist, but as time goes on a person does start to exist and the person is you. I agree.

Knotes: Does the meaning of a song change for you over time?

Frank Black: I don’t know. I’ve been doing it for a living since I was about 20 years old and I’m 35 now, and so I don’t think enough time has gone by to really truly rediscover a song. I’m still in the process of avoiding certain songs.

Knotes: Mr. Parks revisited “The All Golden” on his last album, which was a wonderful to hear from his legendary Song Cycle album.

Van Dyke Parks: It’s been a nuisance to me, the idea of writing a song, but it’s also a great joy. It’s a multiplicity of things. It’s pennies from heaven, that’s what a tune is really all about. And it hardly makes sense. But it’s something that you find yourself pulled by and I think you let it take a mind of its own. The general intention is to trust that you’re dealing with a superior intelligence, something not of your own. When you write a song that you’re comfortable with, it’s like being in God’s pocket. It’s very great. I don’t go back to songs to try to rediscover what I thought, that’s very painful. I go back to explore the work I did on the songs musically. They just fall into the hands, those notes, you know. That interests me. And I enjoy going back and revisiting those places, I think that’s a fair thing to say.

Knotes: There’s a good deal of exuberance the songs you both write. We have a great abundance of songwriters that are downtrodden, dark and depressed, yet both of you seem to share something positive and elated in your work.

Van Dyke Parks: You know what Jim Ford, the songwriter, said? He said, “Happy songs sell records, sad songs sell beer.” I never remembered that in time.

Frank Black: And there’s nothing wrong with either one. Sometimes you’re trying to sell a record and sometimes you’re just doing a gig and they want you to play till closing. They want you to sell beer. There’s nothing wrong with either setting.

Knotes: Both of you have worked on very ambitious projects. Obviously Mr. Parks’ Song Cycle was a large production and I would say in Frank Black’s catalogue, Teenager of the Year stands above in terms of the production and arrangement of the record. What’s it like going in and laying down something that ambitious?

Frank Black: I don’t know how Mr. Parks feels about this; I think sometimes a great work might involve another person that you’re working with. You mention a record I did called Teenager of the Year and there was a guy named Eric Drew Feldman, producing the record with me. I think we were able to achieve a greater height because there was a little bit of a team thing going on there. I’m not saying it always works like that, but sometimes it does.

Van Dyke Parks: It’s wonderful when it does. ‘Cause it sure beats the social odds in life in general. If nothing else, reduced to the irreducible minimum, when you’re with somebody in a room and he says the wrong thing at the right time, I get feelings of great superiority. When I’m working with somebody on something, occasionally, I’ll think, “Who is this creep?” Even if that’s all it does, it’s a wonderful social opportunity to keep things in a volley. A person who actually depends on this ephemera for his food and lodging—it is an absolute act of faith. Perhaps there is wisdom in the fool and the fool is the singer, the songwriter.

Knotes: Why is the songwriter the fool?

Van Dyke Parks: Because they don’t do anything for a living! They’ll never get paid for what they’re doing! They cannot possibly get paid! I suffer to be a songwriter, to make these small, fragile goods that are meant for understanding. I wish I were in ad copy. I’d do better than I’ve done in songwriting, I guarantee you.

continued... see PART 2

"Winter blows through my coat"

the what four http://www.mp3.com/phelan
Go to Top of Page

the swimmer
* Dog in the Sand *

USA
1602 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  07:30:16  Show Profile  Visit the swimmer's Homepage
Feeling California: an interview with Van Dyke Parks and Frank Black PART 2

By Glenn K. Martlin

(continued)
Knotes: What is the importance of rock and roll for each of you?

Van Dyke Parks: It has an entire cosmology, a total universality rock and roll. It’s in my blood; it’s on my walls. My wife’s sister was courted by Elvis Presley in an El Dorado Cadillac on leopard skin upholstery in Memphis. Rock and roll is part of my family. It’s history. And I’ve lived on the edges of it, in my own eddies, being thrown around by it for along time.

Frank Black: What does rock and roll mean to me? I don’t know, it means everything, Mr. Parks was really close to the explosion of rock and roll back there in Memphis in 1955 or whatever, but I’m still kind of bubbling in the up and down, bobbing up and down in the waves from that explosion. Right now in the year 2000 and I’m still moved by it.

Van Dyke Parks: We’re very lucky to be able to talk with Frank because he’s a very inquiring mind and really states the case pretty well. I wanted to get that plain. But I just also wanted to say a real short story if you have time. I don’t usually rent a tuxedo, but I have grey hair now, so it’s required of my age to occasionally show up in a rented tuxedo. I went to a dinner for BMI people. And I walked in a room crowded with a lot of famous composers and so forth. And I saw Lalo Schifrin, a very old man I’d once done a lyric for on a picture called Cool Hand Luke, way back. I hadn’t seen him in many, many years. So I walked in and he was talking to some people and I said, “Maestro.” And I’ll be damned if fifty people didn’t turn towards me expecting the call. And I just thought it was a riot. So I don’t put too much importance in what I do and I’m not married to what I’m doing. I’ll turn on a dime, I’m sure. I better. And I think that’s what’s wonderful about music. It takes you places that you could not have dreamed of.

Knitting Factory presents Frank Black and the Catholics at El Rey Theater on July 10. Van Dyke Parks will play KF – Hollywood on a date TBA.

Back to Knotes Online

"Winter blows through my coat"

the what four http://www.mp3.com/phelan
Go to Top of Page

FranknWeezer
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  08:48:48  Show Profile
My boss is a huge Beach Boys fan and has really gotten me turned on to some of their Pet Sounds/SMiLE era stuff. He's really high on the influence Van Dyke Parks had on Brian Wilson. He tells me that he believes VDP has a linguistics degree and that he's into how words "sound" in the lyrics he writes. I told him about FB (have before today, also) and how I learned such things as what a somnabulist and chateaubriand were from our very own baldheaded buddah of rock. Anyhow, I think it will be an interesting and productive collaboration, given what I hear about VDP and what I KNOW about FB.
-FranknWeezer
(P.S. I don't know what VDP looks like, but I can't get the image out of my head that he looks like the late great painter Bob Ross, of PBS fame...his favorite color always seemed to be none other than "Van Dyke Brown"...go figure, maybe FB's working with a dude who paints happy little trees and sports a fresly poofed afro!)
Go to Top of Page

mereubu
= FB QuizMistress =

USA
2677 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  09:58:29  Show Profile  Visit mereubu's Homepage
Hee-hee. Van Dyke is nice little bespectacled grey-haired man with a mustache. Very unassuming and very weird (in a lovely way). I imagine that a Bob Ross afro would completely overwhelm him and his bowties, but now I can't stop picturing him with one and giggling.
Go to Top of Page

lofiscifi
- FB Fan -

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2003 :  13:51:05  Show Profile
sorry if this has already been mentioned...

rumor has it the new album was produced by stan ridgway (of wall of voodoo fame).

just thought i'd share.

- lofiscifi
Go to Top of Page

OliverK
- FB Fan -

43 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2003 :  16:09:23  Show Profile
I thought Frank finished the album in August (12 songs with 5 of them being covers of Bob Dylan, Angst, Rolling Stones....).

Do you know if this is another album or has the above-mentioned been modified?
Go to Top of Page

sparks2
- FB Fan -

5 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  02:42:36  Show Profile
Word has it from the dark Hollywood streets that FB and Band finished 20 songs or so with producer Stan Ridgway and engineer Ben Mumphrey at Frank's Hollywood studio cavern before they took off on this new tour. Van Dyke Parks was also involved as well as other musical musicals....this new album should be a hum -dinger. If I can still say that word...
sparks2
Go to Top of Page

El Barto
= Song DB Master =

USA
4020 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  20:00:29  Show Profile  Visit El Barto's Homepage
sparks, please don't crosspost. pata, what happened to the album info!?
Go to Top of Page

harris
- catholic -

39 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  13:06:22  Show Profile
we recorded in august and we recorded in jan/feb. and sometimes it was fb& the c's and sometimes we had guests and sometimes we had a producer and sometimes we had a different producer and sometimes we were on our own.
it's probably safe to say that there is a "record" in these recordings.
Go to Top of Page

Stuart
- The Clopser -

China
2291 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2003 :  16:02:16  Show Profile  Visit Stuart's Homepage
Harris cheers for the info, have you any idea when it will be released????

International Air Guitar Hitman
Go to Top of Page

billgoodman
>> Denizen of the Citizens Band <<

Netherlands
5999 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2003 :  14:12:06  Show Profile  Click to see billgoodman's MSN Messenger address
Just some silly thoughts:

-Wouldn't that be the first Frank Black and the Catholics album that's recorded in more than one session?

-Did Frank listen to critics that said he should choose the best songs
from more session and put them on one super album...
(some stupid journalist wrote that in their Devils Workshop/BLD reviews)

Does it make any sense at all?

Dunno

I'm very excited about the album, that's all that matters really...

''it's not a box, it's a submarine''
Go to Top of Page

frankblackphx
= Cult of Ray =

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  13:06:11  Show Profile  Visit frankblackphx's Homepage
I could of sworn that I remember reading that Frank wanted to record this album in different sessions. Change it up a little bit. I don't think it has anything to do with the critics.

Does any one rememebr that?

I got me so down I got me a headache.
Go to Top of Page

Itchload
= Cult of Ray =

USA
891 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  13:38:34  Show Profile
Frank never listens to his critics! that's one of the best things about him. I have a really good feeling about this album, I think it's gonna be one of the classics.
Go to Top of Page

FranknWeezer
= Cult of Ray =

USA
356 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  19:38:38  Show Profile
Hey Scott, liked the hat in New Orleans. Check out the cd I gave FB.
FranknWeezer
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000