-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 WIMM is this generation’s theme

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bedbug Posted - 01/08/2019 : 03:50:30

https://www.dazeddigital.com/music/article/42783/1/pixies-where-is-my-mind-fight-club-covers-classic-song-retrospective
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jeepster Posted - 01/09/2019 : 16:44:38
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Brilliant point Jeepster. I totally agree

Hey thanks

I think I already told the story here about hearing Surfer Rosa for the first time a couple years ago. If I'd heard WIMM before that I didn't remember it. I loved it instantly!

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.
pot Posted - 01/09/2019 : 11:24:22
All I had to go on for the first few years of being a Pixies fan was Bossers and Trompers. Then a friend leant me a tape copy of Surfers so that would be about the first time I heard WIMM, unless it was played in the student union without me necessarilly being aware. If they'd played a full set at the SECC in 1991 that would probably have been the first time I'd have heard it, live, as would have been the case for pretty much everything then apart from Bossers, 3 songs from Doolers and Planet of Sound (which had just been released)

I have stood 3 feet from the man playing WIMM on the guitar and ended up on a live USB clip titled Live in Nijmegen. I'm somewhere to left in this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtzw_WgbZj0
Bedbug Posted - 01/09/2019 : 09:04:02
I too have only seen fight club once, but that was about a decade after I first starting loving WIMM.

Sometimes I'm into the song and sometimes I'm not. I'm glad for however it's benefited Frank and friends.

I wonder exactly how sick of singing it he is. In my non-scientific opinion it seems like they sing Wave even more frequently?

But I thought the article's point about the content of the song speaking to an empty generation was more valid than vapid.

Do you remember the first time you heard WIMM? I do, and it's a good memory from almost thirty years ago.
pot Posted - 01/09/2019 : 00:02:34
It's handy for assisting in explaining to relatives or friends who don't know who the Pixies are. Sure you've heard them, everyone's heard them. The commercial for....

I personally still like it and don't think it's been overplayed, probably because I turn the ads down on the telly and I've only watched Fight Club one time. Pretty sure there are no 1.0 songs I'm as yet tired of listening to and don't welcome when I hear on the radio.
Bedbug Posted - 01/08/2019 : 16:15:22
Brilliant point Jeepster. I totally agree
Jeepster Posted - 01/08/2019 : 11:38:11
I guess hardcore fans are always gonna dislike an artist's most popular work, but Where Is My Mind? really is an incredible song. It's got that weary, existential "oh well, what am I gonna do about it?" kind of attitude that will always appeal to disaffected people. I kinda see Headache as a thematic sequel- going from giving in to existential despair to finding your way out of it.

-----------------------
Q: Where do Pixies keep their instruments when they're not playing?
A: Debasement.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000