-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Frank Black -- Live!
 Black Francis 1991 Rotterdam

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
picpic Posted - 11/30/2016 : 08:02:19
Wow

https://youtu.be/b-iIx9fFKAE

___
"Service Unavailable"
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sprite Posted - 12/02/2016 : 03:30:13
I picked up a bootleg tape of the London show. I think it must have been the summer of 1990. It was that and then POD coming out that made me first twig that all was not right in the Pixies. But then Bossanova came out at the end of the summer and all was OK...for a while.
billgoodman Posted - 12/02/2016 : 00:28:08
Thanks for your post, Benji

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
McDutchie Posted - 12/01/2016 : 11:42:48
Many thanks for these uploads, Benji! I already had TDIO but the rest are new to me. Yes, I think these are worth a separate topic.
picpic Posted - 12/01/2016 : 11:01:28
Thanks a zillion for the uploads. I really dig those early solo shows.

Those chords progressions... damn... so much creativity back then

___
"Service Unavailable"
benji Posted - 12/01/2016 : 10:09:22
quote:
Originally posted by picpic
I heard BF performed a few solo shows during the Pixies years. Have the others ever been bootlegged ?

He performed quite a few times solo during the Pixies days. He did dates in Europe and the US. I don't know of a site that lists them all well as it's not "The Pixies" and it was obviously before he became "Frank Black." But it was during 1990 and 1991. I have recordings of a dozen or so of them, and I'm sure there are more floating around. The most "famous" bootleg of these shows is called The Dream Is Over and can be found floating round a lot on the net. It was recorded in November 1990 in London. But for your listening pleasure here it is: https://mega.nz/#!EhI0lSgC!4W_ZLCpW-W9lKKbTMjqW-rw8h3ZRdtHobir7OG-86sQ

The Dream Is Over was kinda like the holy grail back in the days before the internet took over. I remember so vividly the excitement I felt when I found it for sale at a 2nd hand record shop for real cheap (The shop is still there too!). I'd had a copy on tape before then and had listened to it so damn much, so to finally have it on cd was like the best fucking day of my life! Several years before then I had even tried to buy a copy from KTS themselves (the bootleg label that made the cd along with hundreds/thousands of others - they were the bomb!) when they were still in operation, just. A family friend had internet (amazing I know!), so I headed over there to do some research on this amazing bootleg label I'd heard about and over the course of 2-3 visits over about 3 months I managed to put in a postal order for some cd's with a special cheque I got made up at the bank as KTS was an Italian company and I lived in New Zealand, and no-one I knew had a credit card! Well, the company went bust/were shut down before I got my cd's, so I was absolutely gutted. And I lost some money too, which to me as a pimply ~15-year old, was a huge deal. Crickey, hadn't thought about that for years/decades.
Anyways, there's a link to the cd up above.

Interestingly, I also have a recording of the gig from the day after(?) which is virtually identical in terms of setlist, sound quality so therefore utter musical brilliance as The Dream Is Over. It's never been widely circulated at all - mainly cause an mp3-bloated copy is all that seems to circulate. Here's a link to that as well. Sound quality is not quite as good - probaly only cause it hasn't been processed. Has a few different songs from the night before(?), my favourite of which is Down To The Well - lovely.
Link: https://mega.nz/#!585DyZRS!NUj_8lmxGSjuD9IKT3vAbI4YV6D6vSL4ZGbGXecCDDg

And the 3rd one I've uploaded is from 1991 at McCabes Guitar Shop, Santa Monica, which must have been an amazing place to see gigs as some absolute cracking recordings have been done there. This one's a little different cause Joey joins in for the 2nd half of the gig. Frank talks a fair bit during this gig too, which is unusual.
Link: https://mega.nz/#!o0IhGIKJ!orydD6ifmQ0dsFXKPvxEnM9kvRfvcBihsn5oUQuVuvc

These are all mp3's. If people want them as FLAC, I have that too, so just ask.
Should I post a new topic with a better heading to get these more widely noticed?

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Bedbug Posted - 12/01/2016 : 02:02:34
From the opening chords you know it's going to be amazing.

Still think that's the best song to open with

And great to see him when he still seemed borderline psychotic
Ziggy Posted - 12/01/2016 : 00:12:59
Brilliant performance.

I remember how cool it was to hear The Dream is Over bootleg for the first time.
danjersey Posted - 11/30/2016 : 22:05:41
wow indeed!
spotlight black
picpic Posted - 11/30/2016 : 21:45:17
When he dropped his guitar to D, I was secretely hoping for Alec/Brine/Memphis/Bird,etc... to follow.

I heard BF performed a few solo shows during the Pixies years. Have the others ever been bootlegged ?

___
"Service Unavailable"
sdon Posted - 11/30/2016 : 20:04:29
The Happening!

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
Bedbug Posted - 11/30/2016 : 19:14:02
Dang

benji Posted - 11/30/2016 : 16:49:39
Mike Ziegler is the guy (with others) who runs the pixies live guide (https://sites.google.com/site/pixiesliveguide/home) and a taper/trader/torrenter of very serious repute, so really great to see him sharing some vids on youtube.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
billgoodman Posted - 11/30/2016 : 11:54:19
Wow

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000