-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 Donation time!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nate in the PDX Posted - 01/14/2016 : 08:02:59
Hey there, folks, this is Nate in Portland, OR, USA, longtime "lurker" and once-in-a-blue-moon poster.

Not trying to toot my own horn here in the slightest, but I made a donation to this site today via PayPal in order to help with the costs Dean bears. I noticed that my US dollars go a LONG way, given the very favorable exchange rate with the Canadian dollar right now. (Apologies if this means something bad, like the Canadian economy tanking or something; I've never had a strong grasp of economics.)

I've never contributed cash to the site before, but a few weeks ago I was looking at the forum, and it occurred to me that I should chip in, finally. This site and the forum have meant a hell of a lot to me over the years, and I want to see it keep going! Maybe my little testimonial here will motivate you to do the same. http://www.frankblack.net/friends/

Cheers & salutations to you all! And hearty thanks to everyone who keeps this site and this conversation going.
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 08/02/2016 : 12:16:10
No problem, I'm glad it's performing better and certainly appreciate that it's appreciated. :) Thanks for everyone's help keeping the conversation alive and the site worth visiting and especially thanks again to those that have donated to help with costs!

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
picpic Posted - 08/01/2016 : 07:44:52
By the way, the forum availability is 99.9% since a few months. Great to be able to talk about the latest news with the community without crashes. Thanks for all the work !

___
"Service Unavailable"
Superabounder Posted - 07/31/2016 : 18:26:46
Dean thanks for all you do...Had forgotten to come on here for a long while - must have tried it when the site was down. So glad it's back! This place helped me through some lonely times back in the day!

I'd rather be anywhere or doing anything
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 02/12/2016 : 16:34:58
Thank you very much Sprite. :) And it was an issue with server resources, I hope it doesn't come back because it means that even with the shiny new server we're still too big. I haven't got a clue yet what is causing the error on the landing page...

"If we hit this bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Sprite Posted - 02/08/2016 : 06:08:51
Have been a member for around 13 years and never donated Not acceptable so have just fixed it. I was suffering majorly while you were down, I feared the worst. So glad you are up and running again :)
McDutchie Posted - 02/05/2016 : 01:13:07
quote:
Originally posted by Cult_Of_Frank

Well all, I am very pleased - and grateful - to report that everyone's collective donations have pertty much paid off the entire server bill for the next two years.

Good to know we'll be around for another while.

I've noticed the "Service Unavailable" problem seems to be gone and the site is much faster. That's also excellent. Did you find the cause and fix it, or did it somehow mysteriously solve itself?

edit: Except, the entry page http://www.frankblack.net/ gives an internal error. The main page does work. Strange.
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 02/03/2016 : 17:19:08
Well all, I am very pleased - and grateful - to report that everyone's collective donations have pertty much paid off the entire server bill for the next two years. Thank all of you here and the rest for your donations to keep this place alive. One other thing that everyone can do to help build up the funds over time (so we'll need less donations next time) is, if you're going to buy something on Amazon anyway, go through our store portal to get there:

http://astore.amazon.com/frankblacknet-20

There is a small amount of commission (even on items not in the FB.Net collection) that gets paid to the site when purchases are made through there.

Thanks again all for the support, and anyone interested in volunteering time to help with any specific section I'd love to hear from you!

-Dean

McDutchie Posted - 02/03/2016 : 09:57:43
And done.
Discoking Posted - 02/03/2016 : 00:35:17
Done.

it's educational
matto Posted - 02/02/2016 : 15:33:53
ditto

thanks!!

--------
baby poop, curry
natenate101 Posted - 02/02/2016 : 15:21:36
I donated as well. This is a unique place and long may it continue.
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 02/02/2016 : 11:40:44
They do and thanks! We're now over 2/3 of the way to having donations covering our server costs for the next two years thanks to you folks! Every little bit helps, absolutely. I suppose the tab section is pretty important, too, I used to use it a lot back when I played music a bit more often.

picpic Posted - 02/02/2016 : 08:47:17
Donation done.

Hope this site & forum will continue to be active and carry on. I must confess I'm more a Pixies than a BF solo fan (maybe I'll be, one day. I'm still growing up). But as much as this place is the only place to discuss Black Francis, it is also the only place to discuss the Pixies on the Internet. This little community must not die.

It's kind of sad to see the board hacked or abandoned sometimes. I'm probably not the most interesting poster here, but I've made a few inputs to the Pixies tab section over the years. Think I discovered a few secrets here and there. Hope I contributed a little bit on my own level.

Great appreciation for everyone involved in maintaining this site. Hope the donations will help to keep it alive.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 02/02/2016 : 04:05:00
Nope, the bill is already paid for the next two years (well, it's charged to my credit card) so even if I run off, as long as we aren't hacked mercilessly (at which point I might be tempted to pull the plug) we're good until 2017 when I have to renew the domain and 2018 when I have to renew the server again (that's the big cost).

What I think we really need, once I figure out what the 'internal server error' is on the main page, is to get some contributors to get the Discopedia up to date again, and then we can start scouring the web for quotes, song explanations, etc. Aside from the forum, I think that's the main attraction here and it is in desperate need of love.

pixiestu Posted - 02/01/2016 : 23:57:13
I was scared for a while. I took Nate's post on board and thought I'd chip in a little. Then the next day...boom...no forum. I thought Dean had taken the money and done a runner!

"The arc of triumph"
Cult_Of_Frank Posted - 02/01/2016 : 17:58:08
Thank you both, that definitely helps a lot to have some assistance with the server costs. Also, for any that may notice, sorry about the downtime, there was a name server change while I was out of the country but I think we're getting close to getting things back to normal. Hopefully soon, all will be well with the world. Anyone that would like to add a few dollars to the donation hat is still quite welcome, about 1/3 of our costs for the next 2 years were paid generously by these two!

hammerhands Posted - 02/01/2016 : 12:59:05
Done.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000