-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 Europe and UK 2023

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stuczuba Posted - 09/26/2022 : 23:19:26
https://twitter.com/PIXIES/status/1574664128450666496?t=wC_z0-XOWI4IxOPxT7gS8A&s=19

The proper Doggerel tour, hopefully!

Roundhouse in March for London, much better than Ally Pally.
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 06/16/2023 : 06:24:30
Indeed, first time since 2018 apparently?
billgoodman Posted - 06/16/2023 : 01:00:46
Wow, that's something unexpected

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Ziggy Posted - 06/16/2023 : 00:22:16
Greens and Blues apparently made a welcome return to the set last night.
Bedbug Posted - 06/14/2023 : 14:56:31
I saw that they played Snakes the other night.

Glad to see it.

I can't remember if it's been forever since they played it or if it comes up now and then
Bedbug Posted - 05/23/2023 : 07:04:07
An FB solo show right now would be amazing. Anything he played would be great, even 1.0/2.0 stuff, but to hear anything from in between those would be a real treat
Discoking Posted - 05/22/2023 : 23:52:40
i would love to attend another breeders show. it's been a while.
or a fb/bf solo show. that's been even longer.

it's educational
Discoking Posted - 05/21/2023 : 00:38:50
quote:
Originally posted by pot

What if Frank played solo and he was on a festival bill with The Breeders - who would be above who?

i assume the breeders would be above frank black solo.

it's educational
Bedbug Posted - 05/16/2023 : 23:22:43
quote:
Originally posted by pot

What if Frank played solo and he was on a festival bill with The Breeders - who would be above who?

What if they were both playing different tents at the same time and you'd never seen The Breeders live ( like me ) ?

Frank

Not even close

As Chris Rock said, it’s like choosing between Halle Berry and gum disease
pot Posted - 05/16/2023 : 11:49:38

What if they were both playing different tents at the same time and you'd never seen The Breeders live ( like me ) ?
Stevio10 Posted - 05/16/2023 : 10:33:51
Festival season again! I find it amusing that with all the festivals around these days we haven't seen both Pixies and Breeders on the same bill.

Is it likely with the Breeders being slightly further down on the billing they will check the headliners and respond accordingly?

Or Charles and co telling management no Breeders!

Or just coincidence?

billgoodman Posted - 04/13/2023 : 03:31:07
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Interesting how every thread on this forum seems to turns into a discussion about which 2.0 song sucks the most and which other one ‘also sucks somehow but I like it X years later’

___
"Service Unavailable"

I believe all my posts turn into:
Surfer Rosa and Doolittle bore me
I want more 2.0 and more Bossanova and TLM live.

Bedbug Posted - 04/12/2023 : 16:03:08
You know what’s funny, I think I’ve done that with every single album release going all the way back to Bossanova
picpic Posted - 04/12/2023 : 11:17:24
Interesting how every thread on this forum seems to turns into a discussion about which 2.0 song sucks the most and which other one ‘also sucks somehow but I like it X years later’

___
"Service Unavailable"
Bedbug Posted - 04/04/2023 : 13:33:05
I don’t know how our man keeps doing this to me, but I listened to Baals back for the first time in a long time and I liked it quite a bit more than I ever had before.
billgoodman Posted - 04/04/2023 : 11:01:59
Yeah and then I decided that I liked that awful mixing
Only because it was unexpected

Troubles A Foot Posted - 04/02/2023 : 14:40:05
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

Baal's back is awesome
Production is weird and I like weird
Is it a "good" production?
Don't know. I guess not.

The song is good and it puzzles me soundwise
I like that in a FB-recording
I would prefer this scrappy, cut and paste, processed sound over "let's make this sound like Tom Petty"

It's not either/or. Catholics albums were scrappy but they sound beautiful and rocking and intense.

Baal just sounds amateurish and muddy and unpleasant. The entire thing falls totally flat because of bad production. It doesn't rock or roll. It just lays there.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 04/02/2023 : 14:38:45
The drums, bass and guitars are also terribly recorded/mixed.
Brank_Flack Posted - 04/02/2023 : 05:57:08
I never understood Oona's stature here. The verse is kind of slinky and charming, but I find the chorus plodding and boring.

Baals Back is a good song, but the vocals were terribly recorded. Charles' was absolutely killing the vocals in the live versions that preceded the studio version, but Tom didn't seem to know/understand how to record Charles' screams which neuters the recording.
billgoodman Posted - 04/02/2023 : 01:19:47
And Yes, Doggerel is way too comforting

billgoodman Posted - 04/02/2023 : 01:19:12
Baal's back is awesome
Production is weird and I like weird
Is it a "good" production?
Don't know. I guess not.

The song is good and it puzzles me soundwise
I like that in a FB-recording
I would prefer this scrappy, cut and paste, processed sound over "let's make this sound like Tom Petty"

Troubles A Foot Posted - 04/01/2023 : 20:57:07
What I think the song is about is far too scandalous to post here in this classy place.
Bedbug Posted - 04/01/2023 : 18:17:57
I certainly like Oona better than Baal's Back, and I know people were really excited about it before it even came out, but it just never really got me.

I could picture it fitting in better on NSE than on a Pixies album.

What is it about anyway?
Troubles A Foot Posted - 04/01/2023 : 15:04:06
Baal's Back is some of the worst production I've heard on any album...ever.

Oona is good. It's a really solid Pixies song. I like it. It gets in my head all the time.
Ziggy Posted - 04/01/2023 : 05:53:10
quote:

But Oona fucking rocks, and it's on Head Carrier.

___
"Service Unavailable"

Yeah, love 'Oona'. Is anyone able to share the IC era demo?

'Baal's Back' is the one where everyone hated the 'recorded in a kitchen cupboard' vocal sound, didn't they?
stuczuba Posted - 04/01/2023 : 02:57:23
quote:

But Oona fucking rocks

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

I still really want to like Oona

Let it go, you're never going to be in her band.
Bedbug Posted - 03/31/2023 : 14:02:10
I still really want to like Oona
picpic Posted - 03/31/2023 : 08:09:40
But Oona fucking rocks, and it's on Head Carrier.

___
"Service Unavailable"
stuczuba Posted - 03/31/2023 : 01:35:33
It's a very long way from live to 2 track... I'm not convinced he's the best producer for them, feels like he makes it really easy for them to take a back seat. The podcast for the recent album had a real "that'll do" vibe from Charles.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 03/30/2023 : 08:03:04
HC the album REALLY sounds bad in a playlist with other 2.0 albums. I was shocked when it came on in the car.
Ziggy Posted - 03/30/2023 : 02:42:31
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

I think HC the song has tons of potential but I don't think the album reaches it. I also think the chorus kind of wimps out
("I'm goin' down the drain...") when it should be getting more spiky and weirder, not like some generic country thing. I feel like HC needs more of a performance in the vocals, better production, etc. But that's why it could be a great live song.

Find the production on the title track very odd - almost like it's quickly done radio session. Then smack into 'Classic Masher' with autotune all over the vocals, plus that weird volume boost for the chorus!

Certainly the 2.0 album I like the least.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 03/28/2023 : 23:31:37
I think HC the song has tons of potential but I don't think the album reaches it. I also think the chorus kind of wimps out
("I'm goin' down the drain...") when it should be getting more spiky and weirder, not like some generic country thing. I feel like HC needs more of a performance in the vocals, better production, etc. But that's why it could be a great live song.
Bedbug Posted - 03/28/2023 : 08:16:40
Funily enough HC the song came up on my shuffle yesterday and I was really digging it. I've never watched a live version that I like though. There's one that FBF literally says "this one's called Head Carrier" during the song.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 03/28/2023 : 07:21:40
I agree. HC songs work live, maybe because they are pretty raw and simple (is that the right word?) The album is badly produced though, in some way or another. Doggerel is produced pretty nicely (though I have some issues with it) but the songs are not meant to get a crowd going.

Chugga, Oona, Talent are fun live. I don't like Classic Masher but I can understand why it's a fun live song, big singalong chorus, dynamics, etc.
Sprite Posted - 03/27/2023 : 08:03:57
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

Thanks for the perspective Sprite, interesting to hear

And how funny is it that we can grow bored during Something Against You :-). I get it too. But who could have imagined?

I gotta say other than the variety I can’t really say I’d need to hear anything from HC played live. I’m not sure that album’s stock will ever rise

Well that's a funny one. I think Doggerel is a much superior record to Head Carrier. But I've heard great versions of HC songs live before (Classic Masher, Oona even All I think about now). Whereas Pagan Man, Thunder & Lighting, great as they are on the record, don't land so well live.
Bedbug Posted - 03/26/2023 : 01:14:02
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

All the saint is so, so good

That one could have been on Bossanova

Forgot about that one!

That is a great song.

Not sure I could picture it on Bossanova, but definitely hope they keep playing it live. It might peak some interest in HC.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000