-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Topic!
 General Chat
 UFO's

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Stevio10 Posted - 02/19/2014 : 05:12:18
Anyone have any crazy UFO experiences or stories? Have always been interested in the subject and is cool FBF has visited the subject matter in his songwriting.

Personally, I have seen a couple of things in the sky that seem odd but end up convincing myself it must be a plane, a bird or chinese lantern, anything explainable.

The strangest thing I've seen is what I can only describe as a black ball floating in the sky - and I've seen this on several occasions - either moving horizontal or vertical at a steady speed in a straight direction until it goes out of focus.

No idea what it is but fascinating all the same. Anyone else see anything strange in the skies?
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stevio10 Posted - 02/25/2023 : 23:14:01
He did, though these guys refute that

https://youtube.com/watch?v=AcwjTImVBl8&feature=shares
Troubles A Foot Posted - 02/18/2023 : 22:59:53
Mick West debunked the hell out of those guys, if I recall correctly
Stevio10 Posted - 02/18/2023 : 11:13:22
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Also, one of the most (in)famous lost UFO photos was found last year. Calvine UFO taken in the homeland (Scotland) in 1990 but lost after being sent to Daily Record onto MOD.

The photo was the inspiration for Fox Mulder's I Want To Believe poster.

Photo found and visible below. Though how do you verify what on earth it is?

https://www.newsweek.com/best-ufo-picture-calvine-photo-found-30-years-missing-1733673

It kind of looks just like a mountain or hill reflected in water?

BTW: This week I saw the actual I Want To Believe poster from X-Files. Like the actual prop that hung in Mulder's office. It's at an X-Files museum in Saratoga, New York. Incredible place.

Yeah it's a bit disappointing to be honest! Looks like typical Scottish grey sky / reflected sky with a 'something'.

That xfiles place sounds pretty cool, I visited NY over 20 years ago but didn't have enough time to really explore. Went to a Mars themed restaurant though!

The Gimbal and gofast UAP videos are pretty interesting

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagon_UFO_videos
Troubles A Foot Posted - 02/16/2023 : 22:43:45
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Also, one of the most (in)famous lost UFO photos was found last year. Calvine UFO taken in the homeland (Scotland) in 1990 but lost after being sent to Daily Record onto MOD.

https://www.newsweek.com/best-ufo-picture-calvine-photo-found-30-years-missing-1733673

It kind of looks just like a mountain or hill reflected in water?

BTW: This week I saw the actual I Want To Believe poster from X-Files. Like the actual prop that hung in Mulder's office. It's at an X-Files museum in Saratoga, New York. Incredible place.
Bedbug Posted - 02/15/2023 : 07:06:53
I'm sure there is nothing to worry about....

Hoping that Frank will records a quick little diddy that references these balloons.
Stevio10 Posted - 02/14/2023 : 11:10:25
Ah yeah Mick West! King debunker and seems a thoroughly nice bloke. Listened to a podcast with him and Eric Weinstein debating debunking and stigma on 'The Theory of Everything' podcast. Lot of good episodes there.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dwcjpmVOmqc&feature=shares

pot Posted - 02/14/2023 : 03:11:24
You'd think with all the tech available these days somebody somewhere might eventually catch a shot of one of these UFO's where it's more than strange lights in the sky or a grey blurry dot on the horizon?

All part of the grift..
Troubles A Foot Posted - 02/13/2023 : 22:17:22
I've been watching this guy's youtube, he seems to be very adept at debunking UFO silliness:

https://www.youtube.com/@MickWest/videos

I find it funny I'm posting this because I'm a huge UFO lover. But I'm also kind of a rational/logical/skeptical person...the war within me.
Stevio10 Posted - 02/11/2023 : 14:04:30
As good a time as any to resurrect this thread.

What's new with UFO's (or UAP as they're now known)?

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-still-gives-no-details-about-alaska-ufo-new-object-seen-over-canada-2023-02-11/
pixie punk Posted - 03/14/2014 : 04:49:27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgx9u009BCw

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
picpic Posted - 03/13/2014 : 04:24:29
Another fun fact about UFOs is that there are as many UFO shapes as there are witnesses.

Aliens must each have their own individual personalized UFO !

Even during the belgian UFO wave where the media reported that UFOs were mostly black triangles, they took endless variations in testimonies. The belgian UFOs were sometimes huge, sometimes small. Sometimes thick, sometimes thin. They had sometimes flat corners, sometimes round corners. They had sometimes windows, sometimes not. They never had the same lights... and the list goes on...!

Another proof that human testimony must NEVER be taken literally. And that's the most common problem in ufology. UFO-believers just trust humans too much...!
ccuadros Posted - 03/11/2014 : 16:34:09
The cigar ufo was exactly like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nki_OVqSFJg, and i saw in a village call zapallar
ccuadros Posted - 03/11/2014 : 16:30:01
I've seen ufos 4 times, Chile is a kind of hot place: 2 times i think was a scout ufo, 1 time a diagonal cigar, all of them daytime, and one time in the night in a veeeery hot place called valle del elqui, i know that sound weird but happened,andi wasnt airplanes and balloons
picpic Posted - 03/09/2014 : 13:02:54
Flying cigars... Frank really did know his UFO folklore !

Must be the "huge sighting" he was talking about in that interview !

___
"Service Unavailable"
tisasawath Posted - 03/09/2014 : 12:12:02
though not a believer, i do trust Le Cigare Volant.
as in - i don't believe there is a place, but i do think there's a high probability that there is. now that would make truly awesome lyrics.
picpic Posted - 03/08/2014 : 07:22:36
Two links, but that's only french-speaking and the sound quality is poor:

http://pangolia.com/blog/?p=1550
http://pangolia.com/blog/?p=1321

Jacques Scornaux, a former Belgian ufologist - who then became skeptical a few years ago - talks about the skeptical point of view of the Belgian UFO wave, and the mechanicals of UFO Waves since 1947 in general.

Interesting fact: the "underlying mechanics" of almost every modern UFO wave seems to be always the same since the very first one (Kenneth Arnold - 1947).

There's a few english-speaking skeptics podcasts out there (you'll find them easily through a simple google search).
Stevio10 Posted - 03/08/2014 : 06:40:29
Thanks for sharing! Ah yes, I recall now that photo was revealed to be a hoax.

It is extraordinary the power of suggestion, illusion and belief has over people.
picpic Posted - 03/08/2014 : 06:14:51
There's a huge amount of hypothesis that could explain UFO sightnings, UFO waves, abductions, etc... One thing to remember is to always consider rational explanations before coming up with extraordinare/surnatural hypothesis. (google: "Occam's razor". You'll understand what I mean.)

edit: missed the fact that you wrote about the occam razor principle in your post ;-) Glad to read you're familiar with that !

Regarding UFOs, the alien hypothis is not statistically impossible (nothing is impossible !). The alien hypothesis is, in a very simple way: pointless and unnecessary considering the many, many, many available rational explanations we have at our disposal.

Another thing to consider is that most UFO-organizations that investigate the UFO sightnings are lead by UFO-enthousiasts and, very often, UFO-believers. Problem is, when the media want to get information about UFOs, they talk to those organizations which are in no way professional investigators. In many case (often unintentionally), their work is lead by their underlying belief in those things.

The first sighting of the Belgian "UFO wave" was investigated by a very active (at that time) belgian UFO organization called SOBEPS. It is now widely admitted by many skeptics that this organization (which was very popular in the media during the wave) probably "created" the UFO wave by themselves. Media having a huge influence, everybody started to see UFO's everywhere. During the peak of the wave, everything was a UFO: planes taking off / landing, stars, moon, even street lights were taken for UFOs... etc... then the wave rolled back...

One intersting thing to add is that the only photographic "evidence" of the Belgian UFO wave (the "ultimate proof", for the UFO-believers) was recentely revealed to be a hoax by the very person who took the photograph in 1990.

I can post a few interesting links if you want to know about the skeptic opinions of this UFO wave, but this is a French-speaking podcast.

Stevio10 Posted - 03/08/2014 : 05:27:54
For all the sightings, reports, tv shows etc there isn't (to my knowledge) enough (any?) physical evidence.

The stigma of the subject is still the same as it always has been - picture people and their cats in tin foil hats - but for the people who experience such phenomenon, are they really all wackos as they are usually portayed?

I tend to look at 'Occam's razor' theory where the most plausible explantion is the most likely.

Trying to ignore the conspiracy theories and charlatans, what I find very interesting are the facts, or what are presumed to be fact.

- Astronaut sightings of UFO's in space, eg Buzz Aldrin's sighting and recently a member of the ISS.

- The views of reputable people on the subject, for example Paul Hellyer and Dr Edgar Mitchell. Why at such an age present such views and risk ridicule where financial gain is not a motive.

- The abduction phenomena. I read somewhere that 4 million Americans believed they had been abducted. While the subject is an intangible, the sheer number is also an intangible for me. Can this simply be explained away as night terrors?

While trying to find the most reasonable and likely answer, maybe humankind is too preoccupied in its own affairs to really notice or care any more.

Its kind of ironic in a way, the year the Pixies return, the general public seem to be relatively blaze, and if aliens landed on our shores tomorrow would people even care?

Picpic, what was the general outcome/explanation of the Belgian sightings back in the 90's? A couple of interesting X Files related Pixies trivia; in one of the episodes an Alaskan airfield is called "Doolittle" and creator Chris Carter was such a fan of FB he called his next shows (Millennium) main character after him.
(Though Im sure all of you will know that!)
picpic Posted - 03/06/2014 : 00:53:29
I think Frank was kind of following the whole US UFO scene and the mythology(ies) that goes along in the early 90's (Men in black for example, were a recurrent topic in those spheres, way before the motion picture was released).

He probably lost interest in those things since the mid 90s. He was original at the time he wrote songs about it. But then came X-Files TV shows, lots of movies about paranormal, UFOs, etc... thus it became less interesting for him to explore I suppose.

Frank talking about his "UFO encounter" in 1990: http://youtu.be/XQ9YSjefLFM?t=1m9s . Epic !

As for me, I was once very interested in UFOs (i'm from Belgium, I was a teenager during the "famous" belgian UFO Wave, probably one of the most studied ufo wave ever).

Then eventually, after reading a lot of things about the belgian UFO wave and ufology in general, I progressively became more and more convinced by the skeptical explanations and the skeptical approach of the UFO phenomenon in general. I would probably define myself as a rationalist. Which is of course a less charming hypothesis, but the most scientifically acceptable.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Carl Posted - 03/02/2014 : 07:44:35
I used to be obsessed with aliens and UFOs... I was always afraid to look at the aliens in Close Encounters and the cover of Whitley Strieber's Communion scared the crap out of me. Nowadays I'm pretty skeptical about the whole phenomenon. I believe there must be intelligent life out there somewhere, but I doubt we've ever been in contact with them. In fact, they may be too far off for us to ever meet.
trobrianders Posted - 02/20/2014 : 01:05:18
Extraneous variables. Fortunately no need to consider. The model works fine without them.

danjersey Posted - 02/19/2014 : 19:53:02
twenty nine palms a seemingly choreographed performance against a black dropped sky I counted three color shaping orbs moving at effortless speeds of stop start dexterity spreading apart with latitudinal control then coming together closer to the ground then to the winds they were gone

That's the only way I can recount what I saw. I do not know how much time passed but I wasn't alone. I wanted to talk about it but nobody else did. At first I didn't pick up on their vibe and just went off real excited like, Dude! But I was shut down. My guys reactions to it, what we all saw, I just don't know. Anyway, I'll never forget it.

Thomas Posted - 02/19/2014 : 06:45:10
No UFO stories, but there was a time I loved the band UFO. "Only you can rock me, rock me. Come on back and do it again."

"Our Love is Rice and Beans and Horses Lard"

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000