-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 General Frank Black Chat
 least favorite pixies 1.0 song?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
thisiscrazy18 Posted - 01/08/2023 : 10:10:27
what's one song from the original pixies catalogue that you were never a fan of, or one that you skip? for me, it's the version of vamos that's on surfer rosa. i prefer the production on the come on pilgrim version and the guitar solo in it only really works for me live.

I am a good person. I have a positive mental attitude. I can do it.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 01/22/2023 : 13:34:55
From day one I always loved that Silver was on Doolittle right where it is.

Totally adds to the weirdness of the album.
thisiscrazy18 Posted - 01/22/2023 : 07:46:40
quote:
Originally posted by two reelers

With the exception of Silver and Tony's theme, which maybe my least favorite ones.

silver isn't really a bad song. sonically it's definitely interesting but it does not fit on doolittle at all. i think it should've been a b side. manta ray would've fit better on the tracklist.

I am a good person. I have a positive mental attitude. I can do it.
Stevio10 Posted - 01/20/2023 : 11:52:32
Was never a fan of silver back in the day but one of my favourites now. Handsome Family song the Dutchboy reminds me of it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aJMROca-YHI&feature=shares
Brank_Flack Posted - 01/19/2023 : 06:34:51
Hadn't heard the Breeders demo (wasn't even aware that it's a Kim composition), so I listened yesterday and really enjoyed it. Still like the Pixies version though. I've also never had a problem with the vocals - in fact, I've always enjoyed how Kim and Charles reverse the typical male-female harmony roles. It's a good example of the androgyny that made the Pixies so otherworldly, interesting, and vital.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 01/18/2023 : 14:49:12
I can't think of almost any songs, even from artists I dislike, where I hate the singing. This just isn't a thing in my brain that makes any sense. Apart from a bad use of autotune, I just take people's voices as their voices and I've never felt hatred for the sound of them or whatever. Maybe Axl Rose or the guy from Creed, I guess...but from an artist I'm a fan of? Not sure that's ever happened.
billgoodman Posted - 01/18/2023 : 00:53:58
Love the music, just hate the singing.

Kim sings it better with The Breeders

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Brank_Flack Posted - 01/16/2023 : 13:32:16
Yeah, I've always enjoyed Silver - I have lots of time for gothic spaghetti western.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 01/16/2023 : 13:28:11
Silver is awesome.
billgoodman Posted - 01/16/2023 : 10:57:32
Silver, the Breeders demo is way better
Stranger/danger rhyme is also very lazy
FBF singing is cringey

Can't for the life of me understand why Doolitle is seen as their best record when it has *that* on it

Some b-sides are a bit pointless, but that's why they are b-sides

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
sdon Posted - 01/16/2023 : 05:47:23
Make Believe

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Troubles A Foot Posted - 01/15/2023 : 07:29:58
I didn't "notice" Blown Away until recently, and then it blew me away. Now it's a favorite song. Sometimes songs take a while to finally hit you.
Brank_Flack Posted - 01/13/2023 : 07:43:08
quote:
Originally posted by vilainde

quote:
Here comes your man, I bleed

Best 2 songs on Doolittle!

I'd say There Goes My Gun, Blown Away, La La Love You. But I never skip any track really.

I was thinking of Blown Away as well. As much as I love Bossanova, I do think the near end-run of Blown Away and Hang Wire weighs the album down.

That said, I absolutely adore There Goes My Gun. I love the open space of the verses and the eerie violent-yet-ethereal guitars of the chorus. I'm also impressed by the way the chorus itself releases-builds-and then once again releases tension, with a big help from Dave's drums.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 01/12/2023 : 07:52:33
quote:
Here comes your man, I bleed, Down to the well (good song but terribly produced/recorded), and All over the world.

Is this trolling
vilainde Posted - 01/12/2023 : 04:13:28
quote:
Here comes your man, I bleed

Best 2 songs on Doolittle!

I'd say There Goes My Gun, Blown Away, La La Love You. But I never skip any track really.
two reelers Posted - 01/11/2023 : 12:41:36
All songs mentioned here are fantastic and among my favourites.

With the exception of Silver and Tony's theme, which maybe my least favorite ones. Together with Here comes your man, I bleed, Down to the well (good song but terribly produced/recorded), and All over the world.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Sprite Posted - 01/10/2023 : 13:35:22
River Euphrates on Surfer Rosa. I heard the EP version first and that was that. Not mad on Tony's Theme either.
Bedbug Posted - 01/10/2023 : 07:47:13
Usually if I give it enough time my least favorite becomes one that I really like

Case in point Build High. Thought that was moderately annoying, but man has that thing grown on me, no pun
Brank_Flack Posted - 01/09/2023 : 10:57:23
Probably a b-side like Santos or Theme from Narc, not because they're *bad* per se, but I have difficulty recalling them.
picpic Posted - 01/09/2023 : 09:59:56
Maybe There Goes My Gun on Doolittle.
BBC version is better

I skip Silver, too. Cool song, but not really a Pixies song.

___
"Service Unavailable"
Troubles A Foot Posted - 01/09/2023 : 07:16:12
Both Vamos's for me. I also skip Where Is My Mind because I'm tired of it.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000