-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 2.0 Taxonomy Attempts

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bedbug Posted - 03/20/2020 : 08:15:56
I was gonna spend a lot of time on this, but too much Covid 19 on the brain.

Feel free to trash this, refute it, improve it, make it the best thing ever.

I was gonna try to upload my color coded chart, but couldn't figure out how.

IC, HC, BTE all have 12 songs. Is there a classification system we can come up for them, particularly across the three albums?

=================================================================

The radio friendly hit - Greens and Blues, Classic Masher, Long Rider

The screamy song - Blue Eyed Hexe, Baal's Back, St. Nazaire

The poignant semi-religious / spiritual one - Andro Queen, All the Saints, Daniel Boone (or Death Horizon maybe)

The history lesson - Jamie Bravo, Head Carrier, Mrs. Mark of Cain

The easy listening song - Ring the Bell, Plaster of Paris, Bird of Prey

The tragic lost love song - Indie Cindy, All I Think About Now, Ready for Love

The straight up rock song - What Goes Boom, Um Chagga Lagga, On Graveyard Hill

The loud quiet loud formula - Bagboy, Oona, Silver Bullet

Completely arbitrary first attempt.

I'm not necessarily saying FBF picks from various categories like ingredients for a soup, but at the same time none of the albums all have one unified sound obviously. Curious if he's like, "ok, we need a soft song here, a loud song here" etc. Or the producers. Etc. Whatever. Back to you guys.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bedbug Posted - 10/29/2022 : 02:11:43
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyribcage

Blue Eyed Hexe is my favorite song of the 2.0 era. I love literally everything about it.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.

No kidding? That’s interesting. I’ve grown to like it quite a bit more than I did at first, as with all of IC.
johnnyribcage Posted - 10/28/2022 : 17:28:49
Blue Eyed Hexe is my favorite song of the 2.0 era. I love literally everything about it.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Brank_Flack Posted - 10/16/2022 : 14:49:18
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug
though the first minute of BEH has grown on me.

I mean sure, maybe it's "forced"...but??? Who cares??? I dunno.

Exactly! Also, love and completely agree with this description:

"Discordant, weird guitar voicings (like the chords.) Screeching and ugly. Weird timing until the drums come in and seem to make it make sense. The changes in the guitar chords as Frank starts singing, it's so scratchy and full of texture and grit (never noticed till listening now.) The song ROCKS! It's REALLY well produced!"
Troubles A Foot Posted - 10/16/2022 : 14:43:36
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug
though the first minute of BEH has grown on me.

Observant...the first minute of BEH to me sounds as much like Pixies 1.0 as anything they've ever done, and it's the kind of things they seem to have mostly abandoned.

Discordant, weird guitar voicings (like the chords.) Screeching and ugly. Weird timing until the drums come in and seem to make it make sense. The changes in the guitar chords as Frank starts singing, it's so scratchy and full of texture and grit (never noticed till listening now.) The song ROCKS! It's REALLY well produced!

I mean sure, maybe it's "forced"...but??? Who cares??? I dunno.
Bedbug Posted - 10/16/2022 : 14:21:46
Still can’t get into either BEH or BB fully, though the first minute of BEH has grown on me. I can imagine both songs are interesting live. It would be great to see either join the set lists.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 10/16/2022 : 09:32:37
I think Blue Eyed Hexe is one of the best produced Pixies songs of all time. It's FEROCIOUS.

Baal's Back is...the complete opposite of that.
The Maharal Posted - 10/16/2022 : 08:02:02
Yeah Baal's is a class song, just tainted by the production. Hearing it live was a blast. It's Pixies meeting mclusky/Future of the Left, wonderful stuff.
Brank_Flack Posted - 10/16/2022 : 06:48:40
I've been reading the so-called "history" books of the Old Testament, in which Baal pops up quite regularly. Baal's Back is such a great theme for a lyric.

Had me thinking more generally, that I strongly disagree with a growing consensus that the Pixies 2.0 screamers have been forced/disappointing. I think both Blue Eyed Hexe and Baal's Back are excellent additions to the canon, although I would agree that Tom did a *terrible* job recording Charles' vocals for the latter. The live versions are miles ahead.
Bedbug Posted - 10/06/2022 : 01:59:25
Both great points, agree with you on your examples too
Troubles A Foot Posted - 10/05/2022 : 09:04:58
How about a "like nothing they've done before" category?

I'd put Bagboy and Doggerel in there

I'd personally do a "could have been a Catholics song" category but many of them would be in it.
Bedbug Posted - 10/05/2022 : 04:39:21
Ok I'm sketching out a Doggerel attempt on this, obviously removing Human Crime since it's not on the album after all. But quite honestly I don't think Doggerel fits this taxonomy very well at all, which of course is another reason to love it (and why not)

The radio friendly hit - U-Mass, Greens and Blues, Classic Masher, Long Rider, Haunted House (could have been half the album actually)

The screamy song - Distance Equals Rate Times Time, Blue Eyed Hexe, Baal's Back, St. Nazaire, Dregs and Moon are the only two that could fit

The poignant semi-religious / spiritual one - The Navajo Know, Andro Queen, All the Saints, Daniel Boone (or Death Horizon maybe), The Lord has come back today

The history lesson - Alec Eiffel, Jamie Bravo, Head Carrier, Mrs. Mark of Cain, Dregs of the wine seems to be history of sorts

The easy listening song - Bird Dream of the Olympus Mons, Ring the Bell, Plaster of Paris, Bird of Prey, Pagan Man

The tragic lost love song - Letter to Memphis or Motorway to Roswell, Indie Cindy, All I Think About Now, Ready for Love, Who's More Sorry Now

The straight up rock song - The Sad Punk, What Goes Boom, Um Chagga Lagga, On Graveyard Hill, There's a Moon On

The loud quiet loud formula - Subbacultcha, Bagboy, Oona, Silver Bullet, Nomatterday
Bedbug Posted - 04/02/2022 : 17:25:50
I'll be curious to see where the new album Doggerel fits into this. Assuming Human Crime is on it I would put it under The Radio Friendly Hit

The radio friendly hit - U-Mass, Greens and Blues, Classic Masher, Long Rider, Human Crime

The screamy song - Distance Equals Rate Times Time, Blue Eyed Hexe, Baal's Back, St. Nazaire

The poignant semi-religious / spiritual one - The Navajo Know, Andro Queen, All the Saints, Daniel Boone (or Death Horizon maybe)

The history lesson - Alec Eiffel, Jamie Bravo, Head Carrier, Mrs. Mark of Cain

The easy listening song - Bird Dream of the Olympus Mons, Ring the Bell, Plaster of Paris, Bird of Prey

The tragic lost love song - Letter to Memphis or Motorway to Roswell, Indie Cindy, All I Think About Now, Ready for Love

The straight up rock song - The Sad Punk, What Goes Boom, Um Chagga Lagga, On Graveyard Hill

The loud quiet loud formula - Subbacultcha, Bagboy, Oona, Silver Bullet
Bedbug Posted - 04/30/2020 : 11:54:11
Adding some from Trompe

The radio friendly hit - U-Mass, Greens and Blues, Classic Masher, Long Rider

The screamy song - Distance Equals Rate Times Time, Blue Eyed Hexe, Baal's Back, St. Nazaire

The poignant semi-religious / spiritual one - The Navajo Know, Andro Queen, All the Saints, Daniel Boone (or Death Horizon maybe)

The history lesson - Alec Eiffel, Jamie Bravo, Head Carrier, Mrs. Mark of Cain

The easy listening song - Bird Dream of the Olympus Mons, Ring the Bell, Plaster of Paris, Bird of Prey

The tragic lost love song - Letter to Memphis or Motorway to Roswell, Indie Cindy, All I Think About Now, Ready for Love

The straight up rock song - The Sad Punk, What Goes Boom, Um Chagga Lagga, On Graveyard Hill

The loud quiet loud formula - Subbacultcha, Bagboy, Oona, Silver Bullet
stuczuba Posted - 04/28/2020 : 07:08:55
I'd be all over a Config Management attempt - by my reckoning we're on Pixies v2.1 or 2.2 - depending if the Dubs incarnation counts.

I reckon you could do taxonomy by colour - these are blue songs, these are green etc. Lots of themes in there.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000