-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Alternate Doggerel Singles

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brank_Flack Posted - 10/08/2022 : 07:33:26
It seems that while many people here enjoy Doggerel the album, there was less enthusiasm for the singles, or at least the leading two.

What songs would you have chosen instead for singles, and in what order? This isn't a matter of what your favourite songs are (mine is Doggerel), but what you think would have worked best as intros/teasers to the album to draw up interest.

The official order was:

There's a Moon On
Vault of Heaven
Dregs of the Wine

(I wonder if Haunted House will be released as a single prior to Halloween?)

I would have done something like this:

1. Nomatterday - Seems to be a critical favourite, has two different choruses that both stand out, of interest to indie rock fans (their base).
2. Dregs of the Wine - Dynamic changes, Pixies eccentricity, Joey's songwriting credit provides a narrative
3. Thunder and Lightning - Less sure about this choice. A sample of the big catchy hooks that form the album's backbone. I imagine others would choose to showcase Haunted House for this purpose, but I find the chorus a bit too campy (though I still enjoy the song overall).

The Guardian called There's a Moon On the band's best single in years, so what do I know...

(The Guardian called There's a Moon On the band's best single in years, so what do I know...)
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Brank_Flack Posted - 10/11/2022 : 15:29:53
Didn't realize that!

Here's Joey on "It's a Moon On" from Tim's Listening Party of Doggerel:

Everyone’s a fuckin’ critic. I read them. This is an easy listening tune if it’s turned up. This is part of the album that is straight up rock. We knew that and we don’t give a fuck.

Can you hear it? Do you hate it? We couldn’t care less. Did you get that vibe? [shrug]. You get the point. I mean, I even spelled out the pentatonic scale backwards on the solo. Even that was done on purpose. To people that get. Right on. To people that don’t. C'mon

– Joey

I wonder if he was reading us, haha.
The Maharal Posted - 10/11/2022 : 14:00:19
Yeah it's the newest single.
rivum Posted - 10/11/2022 : 09:46:16
did I see somewhere recently that nomatterday is the new single?
Or did I imagine that??
Troubles A Foot Posted - 10/08/2022 : 20:07:48
In my opinion it is madness that Dregs was not the lead single. It's such an exciting and catchy song and shows they have new tricks up their sleeve.

Nothing else really seems like a good idea for a single to me. NoMatterDay doesn't have a melody for much of it. Haunted House is too goofy and I think would turn Pixies fans OFF of buying the album. Who's More Sorry is a good song but it is a perfect middle of the album type of song, not a single to get people excited about. REM used to put out weird singles like Doggerel could possibly be. That could have worked. A lot of famous hit singles are songs bands didn't typically do. How Soon Is Now, etc, etc.
Bedbug Posted - 10/08/2022 : 15:13:46
Well, considering that I've gone on record saying that the three singles are my least favorite songs on the album (and I really really like all 3 of them) I would take any of the others to be the singles.

I think if Nomatterday were one of the singles everybody on this forum would have been a lot more excited for the album.

I think Haunted House, Thunder and Lightning, and Who's More Sorry Now could be Top 40 hits in an alternate universe. They are Beatles level catchy and really, really good tracks.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000