-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Best Pixies Song Title? (Just the song title)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pot Posted - 09/01/2022 : 14:27:36
Just the title (nothing to do with the song) but I'm going for Bird Dream Of Olympus Mons

That's basically a micro-poem embedded within the title of a song

How can a bird dream of an exctinct volcano on a planet it doesn't even know exists?

Or maybe they do. Maybe birds came from Mars?

Billions of years ago when Mars was a thriving planet it was inhabited by Pterodactyls and other dinosaur birds, only before they got here they had retractable exoskeletons that allowed them to enter a cocooned, hibernatory stasis while they flew through space between planets

We have made the error of assuming that birds can only fly in gaseous, plantery atmospheres

When the sun explodes into a gas giant in Billions of years time again they will probably fuck off back to Mars again for a while, before eyeing up some Jovian moons I guess - maybe that's what this bird in the song is dreaming about?

Maybe Olympus Mons is like Bird Mecca or something

What is your favourite Pixies song title and have you ever invented a completely insane reality in your head around it?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
two reelers Posted - 09/16/2022 : 10:51:14
Planet of Sound

Build High

Letter to Memphis

------

All very factual, dry, descriptive, and short - but somehow representing a certain imaginative power... or so

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
McDutchie Posted - 09/07/2022 : 05:08:43
Serious Curious.
Stevio10 Posted - 09/05/2022 : 12:21:45
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Just the title (nothing to do with the song) but I'm going for Bird Dream Of Olympus Mons

That's basically a micro-poem embedded within the title of a song

How can a bird dream of an exctinct volcano on a planet it doesn't even know exists?

Or maybe they do. Maybe birds came from Mars?

Billions of years ago when Mars was a thriving planet it was inhabited by Pterodactyls and other dinosaur birds, only before they got here they had retractable exoskeletons that allowed them to enter a cocooned, hibernatory stasis while they flew through space between planets

We have made the error of assuming that birds can only fly in gaseous, plantery atmospheres

When the sun explodes into a gas giant in Billions of years time again they will probably fuck off back to Mars again for a while, before eyeing up some Jovian moons I guess - maybe that's what this bird in the song is dreaming about?

Maybe Olympus Mons is like Bird Mecca or something

What is your favourite Pixies song title and have you ever invented a completely insane reality in your head around it?

Apparently there is a geological formation on Mars that resembles a parrot. In the same vein as the face on Mars. Called Parrotopia, info on it here; http://parrotopia.org/The-Anomaly-Hunters-Roundtable-Study.php

Im on the fence but it's interesting!

Sorry to digress, great thread and all great titles. I like the title 'All My Ghosts' - presumably we would literally only have one ghost (presuming they exist), having many ghosts sort of plays on the reincarnation and past lives theory. Or figuratively speaking taking a walk down memory lane and seeing places and people of your past.
billgoodman Posted - 09/05/2022 : 08:44:29
Palace of the Brine

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Bedbug Posted - 09/05/2022 : 08:15:48
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Dancing the Manta Ray

I love most BF/FB UFO songs, but this one has the best title.

Good one!

___
"Service Unavailable"

Good one!
Bedbug Posted - 09/05/2022 : 08:15:13
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

Dancing the Manta Ray

Good one!

___
"Service Unavailable"

picpic Posted - 09/05/2022 : 08:02:40
Dancing the Manta Ray

___
"Service Unavailable"
Troubles A Foot Posted - 09/04/2022 : 16:33:00
Favorite Pixies title:
Bird Dream of the Olympus Mons

Other audacious/cool ones: Monkey Gone To Heaven, Gouge Away, Oh My Golly!

Favorite Frank solo title:

Places Named After Numbers

Other audacious/cool ones: Pray A Little Faster, San Antonio, Tx, When They Come To Murder Me

The Maharal Posted - 09/03/2022 : 04:03:33
I'm Not Dead (I'm In Pittsburgh) has always been a favourite title of mine, though maybe the credit should go to Reid P more than Black.
pot Posted - 09/02/2022 : 11:47:20
The topic is now open to all FBF songs and non-FBF Pixies songs
Bedbug Posted - 09/02/2022 : 10:15:12
If we open it up to FBF albums, I gotta say reading through the titles of the songs on TOTY the first time was a joy in and of itself. What a ride!
Brank_Flack Posted - 09/02/2022 : 07:18:50
Bone Machine
Bedbug Posted - 09/02/2022 : 00:37:40
Wave of mutilation is a hilarious pun of a title, even before you know the story

I like Banks of the Drain too, did that change into something else? Has a sad and creepy feel to it with just a few words
sdon Posted - 09/02/2022 : 00:11:32
Trompe Le Monde of course

--
"Aristophanes! (gong sounds)"
"Fucking up my devotion!"
Sprite Posted - 09/01/2022 : 23:16:22
Would have to agree with Bird Dream. I only found out what Olympus Mons actually was years later (1991 was pre-internet of course). As for others I do like the minimalism of I Bleed.

The only bit of Bagboy I really like is when he goes 'Dead things that you licked. That'd make a good song title.
billgoodman Posted - 09/01/2022 : 22:38:14
In the arms of ms Mark of Cain
comes close

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000