-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 Live stream Rockpalast

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
billgoodman Posted - 07/28/2022 : 08:40:41
Lot's of fake livestreams on YT but this one looks real:

https://youtu.be/tdD8Jj081pU

Rockpalast is a iconic rock show from Germany
So I'm stoked
(July 30)

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
billgoodman Posted - 08/15/2022 : 00:31:51
I'm so thrilled that they play All The Saints on a regular basis

Troubles A Foot Posted - 08/14/2022 : 21:42:37
I finally watched this entire show. It was pretty good...except Debaser at the end, ouch. Not a great way to go out.

The other two new songs besides Vault and Moon On seemed to put the audience to sleep. I am still in shock at how uh, not good Moon is. This is now my 4th or 5th time hearing the song and I swear, it gets worse each time I listen (you keep thinking the lyrics won't keep being bad and it keeps topping itself.) That's going to be a skipper on the album for me for sure.

The highlight for me was All The Saints. That was a fantastic performance of what I feel to be one of the only new "classics." Beautiful song. Feels like a Bossanova tune, but with the mature Frank's wistfulness and looking back on his life. Just a perfect blend of Pixies and older Frank.
moonruler Posted - 08/09/2022 : 12:39:54
Indy Cindy tour at the Orpheum in Boston was the best Pixies show I have seen. Came out rocking, took it back a step, and crushed it for the remainder of the show. Greens and Blues was the highlight. It was during the took a step back portion of the show. Would not have worked without them coming out and immediately blowing everyone away, but they did. The loud quiet loud shows are the best. I have problems getting into it if they come out not playing bangers.

Ziggy Posted - 08/08/2022 : 02:37:45
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

quote:

Which one, Ziggy

Think the video showed the title track, 'Letter to Memphis' and possibly 'Palace of the Brine'? Either before the Head Carrier or BTE tours.

No confirmation they *were* properly rehearsed, though the 'we've rehearsed 80 songs' was being said in 2013 onwards.

Always amazes me that we have only heard 'Down to the Well' on a few occasions too!

Can you imagine them finally playing TLM (title track) again?
I would buy all the merch I could lay my hands on

I'm enjoying seeing Charles playing his SG Jr a lot more now - really adds a heavier sound to the electric songs.

Wishing I'd gone to some of these Academy-sized shows, although glad I saw them in Cardiff earlier this year. The whole band is sounding really good at the moment!
billgoodman Posted - 08/07/2022 : 22:47:10
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

quote:

Which one, Ziggy

Think the video showed the title track, 'Letter to Memphis' and possibly 'Palace of the Brine'? Either before the Head Carrier or BTE tours.

No confirmation they *were* properly rehearsed, though the 'we've rehearsed 80 songs' was being said in 2013 onwards.

Always amazes me that we have only heard 'Down to the Well' on a few occasions too!

Can you imagine them finally playing TLM (title track) again?
I would buy all the merch I could lay my hands on

Ziggy Posted - 08/06/2022 : 00:20:32
quote:

Which one, Ziggy

billgoodman Posted - 08/05/2022 : 14:59:02
Which one, Ziggy

Ziggy Posted - 08/05/2022 : 11:49:33
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

I genuinely loved the BTE tour, can't beat a band playing their new album in it's entirety and some deeper cuts too.
HC tour was the same, whole album in a single show. Think there a couple of IC songs that never got played but they played most of it at the time.

'Ring the Bell' and 'Jaime Bravo' didn't get played, although were on Myles' lighting setup in the last few years (as were a bunch of Trompe deep cuts!).
stuczuba Posted - 08/05/2022 : 08:15:03
I genuinely loved the BTE tour, can't beat a band playing their new album in it's entirety and some deeper cuts too.
HC tour was the same, whole album in a single show. Think there a couple of IC songs that never got played but they played most of it at the time.
billgoodman Posted - 08/05/2022 : 05:28:27
Yeah, BTE is their classic (imho)

Ziggy Posted - 08/05/2022 : 03:25:16
quote:

I think they will play way more of Doggerel, yes.
Just like the last two records.

I wonder if the new session áfter Doggerel will pan out into something

I wonder. You don't tend to go to Rockfield for ten days for nothing! Charles said beforehand 'the next album'. But I was later told 'just trying out some ideas' by the band's representatives.

I miss hearing more of the BTE songs. Felt like they fitted into the set very well.
billgoodman Posted - 08/05/2022 : 03:21:14
I think they will play way more of Doggerel, yes.
Just like the last two records.

I wonder if the new session áfter Doggerel will pan out into something

Ziggy Posted - 08/05/2022 : 03:16:24
The latest sets have been good career-spanning ones, although the overall pool of songs seem less compared to previous tours.

I imagine the post-Doggerel release ones will be different again. A more extensive European tour likely next year.
billgoodman Posted - 08/05/2022 : 00:32:55
To be honest Pixies should be weirdly quiet on stage
That's their whole deal
I do think they shouldn't be playing 10 out of 15 Doolittle songs and 1 out of 15 from Trompe (like last night)

But I love Frank's solo shows too, with all the talking and weird versions of Fiddle Riddle and stuff

Troubles A Foot Posted - 08/04/2022 : 22:02:42
Yeah, I mean those aren't my favorite songs, but I'd go to that show, maybe change my feeling about them from experiencing them live.

The other thing is they don't talk between songs or have any personality really. One of the reasons I always try to make it out to see They Might Be Giants despite having seen them like 60 times is because they are hilarious and talk a lot and always add new concepts to the stage show. They started performing one of their songs backwards. They do tons of random rare cuts. Often have musical guests like a horn section, etc, to keep things interesting. They add new intros or styles to songs you've heard a million times. They improvise sections of the songs different each time. It's just usually full of surprises when you see them, even if it's a setlist you've seen before.

Pixies shows for me don't have reasons to see them multiple times. Now...a Frank solo show where he's funny and banters about the songs and picks tons of random cuts you can't predict? I'd pay handsomely for tickets to that.
billgoodman Posted - 08/04/2022 : 21:19:45
2.0 show would be great!

Bedbug Posted - 08/04/2022 : 17:12:05
Some people’s favorite artists never make new music let alone perform it. At least we get new albums from Charles every couple years or so.

If there were to be a FBF solo show announced probably every member on this forum would try to be there. 2.0 show? Not much interest
Sprite Posted - 08/04/2022 : 15:46:43
Not meaning to come over too harsh. I'm certainly delighted they are making new records and am looking forward to Doggerel. And they played all 12 songs from Head Carrier in Brixton on the tour for that album. I just don't understand why 2.0 songs seem to have been designated as kinda optional for general shows. I remember Green and Blues being played when they headlined Field Day in 2014 and it was bloody brilliant. Would love to see that one posing up on the setlists or All I Think About Now, Snakes, Long Rider or Plaster of Paris(OK I accept Plaster of Paris is niche)
Troubles A Foot Posted - 08/04/2022 : 14:08:11
This may be a separate point, but it's not only that they play those old songs so many times, but how they do them. Just so identical every time. I was listening to a Catholics live show on Spotify and those versions of Pixies songs like Gouge Away, Crackity Jones etc, are fucking face melting. If the Pixies played like THAT I may want to check it out, but the band has little stage presence, doesn't really change up the songs, and Frank's passion in performing them is nowhere near those other versions. He's spoken several times now about Pixies and writing Pixies songs as if it's a 9 to 5 blue collar job. I really think he may not be intending to come across this way when he says that, but I do get the impression this is just a job to him, and that depresses me.
billgoodman Posted - 08/04/2022 : 13:22:41
It's true that Bossanova and TLM at that time were not below SR or Doolittle in sales Numbers or Good reviews

stuczuba Posted - 08/04/2022 : 13:15:05
I don't think the average concert goer will have heard much that much back-catalogue tbh, they'll have the 5-10 big hitters served up by the algorithm and thats it.
But if you don't play anything different, how can you even judge the response or know if people like it? Or attract to people to listen beyond the spotify top 10? Why even bother recording, if you're going to just dump the material?
pot Posted - 08/04/2022 : 12:43:08
I disagree (with Rivum's post) - not so much the general point being made but how it is applied here. I think most Pixies fans are fans of Boss and TLM too and plenty want to hear tracks from those albums too. I think the idea that SR and Doolittle are considered the best by the majority is a myth - I've known just as many who say their favourite albums are from the latter two than the first two.

There is probably a heavy bias towards 1.0 material in general though, and I have no problem with that really give me a couple of BTE demoes (the last two) and Daniel Boone and all the rest from 1.0 and I'm getting my bang for buck.

Do they ever actually play any of the BTE demo material? They should, especially the last two tracks which I think are two of the best 2.0 tracks.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 08/04/2022 : 12:40:14
Literally all of my most special meaningful concert memories are hearing a deep cut, and my mind being blown, and being so moved and singing along and feeling so happy to be hearing the song live.
rivum Posted - 08/04/2022 : 12:30:38
you guys need to remember that we're a special group here - we want to hear deep cuts. But the average concert-goer will want to hear as much doolittle or surfer as possible.

today i read a blog post by another band i like, tegan and sara, about crafting set lists. among other things, tegan had this to say regarding hits...

"Though we sometimes talk about adding a ton of “deep cuts” to our show, we don’t.

Why?

No matter what people say, the consensus – based on cheering and applause and vibe – seems to be that people love hearing the hits. I have thoughts on why: they are familiar to the majority of people, so they move, dance, and sing, and then the energy in the room is higher. So even if you think you want Like O, Like H (deep cut), when the guitar riff of Walking With A Ghost (big hit) starts, you can’t help but to get butterflies or goosebumps. I know it, you know it, let’s all accept it. That being said, we always make sure there is something new, special and deep cuttish in the set!"
Bedbug Posted - 08/04/2022 : 10:14:17
I too have no plans to see the Pixies live because I can’t get motivated to hear Wave of Mutilation for the 500th time.

When I saw them 30+ years ago they played a bunch from Trompe (just released) and it all sounded great (EDF there too). Why don’t they play anything like that now? Confidence or laziness like someone said? Or maybe the research shows that the people who actually buy tickets want to hear Wave of Mutilation for the 500th time.

Troubles A Foot Posted - 08/04/2022 : 10:05:40
Yeah, everyone said it best. I'm tired of the greatest hits and I find it strange they ignore so many new songs. Bossanova and Trompe are probably my two favorite Pixies albums and they are also mostly ignored. So why buy a ticket? I've already seen them do Pilgrim/Surfer/Doolittle songs live several times.

Would love to hear stuff from Indie Cindy and Beneath the Eyrie especially. I'm genuinely surprised so many BTE songs are dropped as the band seemed really proud of that album and it also seemed like audiences approved of it.
Sprite Posted - 08/04/2022 : 07:38:44
Gotta to agree with you. I did not bother getting a ticket for Hyde Park gig in July for this exact reason. Am also surprised there are no more 2.0 songs in the average set. There's loads of great ones.
stuczuba Posted - 08/04/2022 : 07:23:05
I was looking forward to something like that but even if it was a plan then it was scuppered by lockdowns and it feels like the moment has passed. Genuinely surprised they're still doing Pilgrim/Surfer shows.

Still waiting for a proper London date for this tour.. I guess we're waiting for a proper Doggerel european tour now.
pot Posted - 08/04/2022 : 07:07:37
I'd have thought the next stage to take a Doolittle tour would have been a Bossa or TLM or both tour - wasn't there talk of a TLM tour recently? I suppose a 30th anniversary tour of either would have been during the lockdowns though..
stuczuba Posted - 08/04/2022 : 06:50:49
I've seen them 10ish times since 2004, spread out over different tours and they've always played at least 4-5 songs I've not seen before. Until this year.

It does seem to be that if you miss an album tour then you miss that material forever cos it's not coming back. The Surfer and Doolittle tours were the perfect opportunity to put that stuff to bed, or at least reduce & rotate it, and concentrate on what they're doing now.

pot Posted - 08/04/2022 : 06:20:23
This was my main complaint when I saw them a few times circa 2004-2009 - not enough Bossa and Trompe stuff. Sadly I've never seen them play many songs from those albums. If I'd managed to get a full set in 1991 though I guess I'd have heard a lot more from the later 1.0 catalogue though.
billgoodman Posted - 08/04/2022 : 05:58:44
I skipped the Doolittle 20th Tour for that reason

Nowadays it's ok. I will sit through all those great Doolittle songs if only Havalina and Ana are played.
Also want those new songs (four now, 5 with Human Crime)

Still something is wrong.

I was blasting Trompe Le Monde yesterday. Space (I Believe In) is David's favorite song.
Bossanova is Joey's favorite album. (mine too).

It's pretty weird that Frank - a snake as he himself says - can sing the same pre-Bossanova songs again and again.

What Goes Boom is also a 10/10 song for me. Would love to hear it live.

stuczuba Posted - 08/04/2022 : 05:34:43
quote:

Please elaborate.

I have been disappointed in the setlists since 2004, but nowadays the seem to be playing some Bossanova-songs I have never heard them play before.

I had tickets from Edinburgh last night but couldn't make it. 37 song setlist, 21 from Doolittle or earlier.
That ratio is just wrong.

5 new ones is an improvement but they're grinding the same old songs to dust while completely neglecting 2.0 and the post 89 era.
Apart from the new ones, they've dropped a load of material from the 2019 shows, including Bossa/Trompe stuff.

The one show I saw this summer, they dropped one of the only 2 new ones they were playing at the time and played no post-Doolittle originals at all. Wtf is that about?

Don't know if it's a confidence thing or a laziness thing but the setlists feel stale. Never happened with solo Charles or Catholics, I don't get why they aren't bored.
billgoodman Posted - 08/03/2022 : 12:50:13
Please elaborate.

I have been disappointed in the setlists since 2004, but nowadays the seem to be playing some Bossanova-songs I have never heard them play before.

Troubles A Foot Posted - 08/03/2022 : 12:31:18
I'm disappointed in the setlist, and it's the main reason I'm not getting tickets for an upcoming show.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000