-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Planet of Sound - Pixies News Items
 Charles announces new Pixies ALBUMS on BB6!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
yarbles Posted - 04/01/2022 : 10:53:25
Pixies are currently performing at the BBC6 Festival in Wales, about an hour before their set time Charles was interviewed on BB6 by Steve Lamacq. Charles said the band had recorded an album in Vermont shortly after last Christmas, they just recently finished it and it will be out in September. He said the title of the album is Doggerel.

And then he said they’re recording ANOTHER album in Wales next week, at Rockfield Studios in Monmouth Wales!

Exciting! Sounds like the band is making up for lost pandemic time!
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sprite Posted - 04/13/2022 : 13:36:48
quote:
Originally posted by billgoodman

https://www.rnz.co.nz/audio/player?audio_id=2018837418

Dave also talks about recording a second record

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?

Really enjoyed that interview. Would love to go for a pint with Dave.

Top quote "We have so much material so why not keeping going at it -maybe even a second album. Charles is pumping them out"

Just on the quality versus quality. I'll definitely take quantity, I am not convinced slaving over and fine tuning has worked for them on some of the Pixies 2.0 songs.
Brank_Flack Posted - 04/13/2022 : 06:40:10
I also prefer quality to quantity but am not worried. If Charles had 40 songs going into Doggerel, I'm sure there are still a few left-overs worth pursuing (Classic Masher and Silver Dagger, for example, both originated from previous sessions). Plus, we saw in the Podcast how songs pour out of Charles once the tap starts flowing - it's very possible he developed another batch since Doggerel to select from.

I think Charles is the type of songwriter who can go on a roll - if that's what we're seeing here, we're in for a treat.

All that being said - I the Beneath the Eyrie strategy for releasing everything: a proper album, plus a bonus disc that doesn't have the pressure/pretense of being a proper Pixies album.
billgoodman Posted - 04/12/2022 : 21:50:51
Release everything!

natenate101 Posted - 04/12/2022 : 16:38:34
While I do agree more Pixies in short bursts would be great….I’m also a bit worried about a quantity over quality approach here. Human Crime is a solid song, catchy but pretty straightforward. If the band is making more of those I’m not sure two albums is what’s needed. Maybe grab the best 12-14 songs that will make their mark, and leave it at that? I’ll happily take what Charles and the group provide of course, but I hope they stretch the sonic and especially lyrical boundaries a bit more. Guess I’ve said that about most of Pixies 2.0 though. BF is still prolific but more and more the words themselves lean towards the safe and sane.
billgoodman Posted - 04/12/2022 : 04:36:32
They did Surfer Rosa in ten days. According to Wikipedia.
Albini later said that the record could have been completed in a week, but "we ended up trying more experimental stuff basically to kill time and see if anything good materialized....

johnnyribcage Posted - 04/11/2022 : 20:56:57
quote:
Originally posted by Brank_Flack

Possibly - but the Catholics didn't really do overdubs/ect.

Well, that’s kind of what I was saying . Catholics did no overdubs - none. Straight to 2 track. They were apparently working fast AF for Doggerell or whatever it’s going to be, then went back to record “another album” in a week just a couple months later. Reading between the lines, I find it hard to believe they’re doing anything other than just laying down live takes. Or maybe with a quick overdub here and there to fix a flub or add some keys or whatever.

Of course, I assume it’s not Catholics style straight to 2 track - that’s pretty hard core - but if you get a good sound in the studio and lay it all down solid and live to multi track, you’ve got everything you need for a ripping album that doesn’t need overdubs. Mix it, master it, and get it out the door. Instant Karma.

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Ziggy Posted - 04/11/2022 : 08:07:21
quote:

Possibly - but the Catholics didn't really do overdubs/ect., so I imagine the recording process is quicker than the Pixies, especially if Gil Norton is involved. Perhaps an extended player is more likely, or they'll do a follow-up session later.

It'll be interesting to seen comes out of this session. Remember, there's a whole pile of unreleased songs from the last few years the band can revisit, in addition to the newly written material.

Was told "the next album" the other week but thought that was a throwaway comment. Not so sure now! How that fits in with the expected promotional schedule for Doggerel I don't know!

The last couple of records have been full band takes with overdubs for Joey and vocals, although the 'B Sides'/bonus disk for BTE were largely the band tearing through the songs in a single take. Some like 'Chapel Hill' clearly had a little extra work in terms of vocals.

It's a very exciting time!
Brank_Flack Posted - 04/11/2022 : 04:58:49
Possibly - but the Catholics didn't really do overdubs/ect., so I imagine the recording process is quicker than the Pixies, especially if Gil Norton is involved. Perhaps an extended player is more likely, or they'll do a follow-up session later.
johnnyribcage Posted - 04/11/2022 : 04:28:21
quote:
Originally posted by Ziggy

quote:

Joey posting that today is their last day there.

They've had longer than a week post Cardiff show. So even with, say, one song a day, that's productive!

I bet they got a lot more done than a song a day. Seems like they’re in Catholics mode. I think all those albums were recorded crazy fast. Not sure about some of them but FB&Cs was done in 2 days, about a week for Dog in the Sand. Exciting times here!

Ziggy Posted - 04/11/2022 : 02:12:47
quote:

Joey posting that today is their last day there.

They've had longer than a week post Cardiff show. So even with, say, one song a day, that's productive!
tamefan Posted - 04/10/2022 : 15:27:56
quote:
Originally posted by pot

quote:

I'm going to try to do my best and avoid the pot conspiracy bait - so great news about all the recording activity!

Just reiterating what Bill Gates said, although he won't admit to the fake side of things. Global mortality rates for the past few years show that.

The reason I'm mentioning it is because the Covid hysteria is still going on - and with all cause mortality rates spiking across all ages as a result of vaccine injury I think the cabal of western leaders who all graduated from the WEF before inflitrating our democracies with their lies and fascism might attempt to fake another pandemic using these numbers.

So as we head into the winter next year, just as Pixies release their new album we could be facing more lockdowns and restrictions on travel, which will surely affect any tours they might have planned.

No "conspiracy bait" just some uncomfortable truths. Whether you see it or choose to bury your head in the sand things are only going to continue getting worse as we head through this decade towards 2030, the target the UN and the WEF have set to "reset" how we live and it's all going to tie in with the green agenda. We can all look forward to the complete collapse of western civilisation in the very near future, and it's all being planned for us by people who were never elected to decide our futures, and sadly I think it's all going to happen because not enough people are awake to it or prepared to stand against it.

I'm not trying to put a downer on the news of the album release. We can all look back on this post and see if I'm right, which I hope I'm not.

There is a cross-national effort to normalize digital identification and passport systems. That's 100% happening. Here in Canada, it's via https://diacc.ca/. Their website is full of horrifying information if you're curious enough to look for yourself. And yes, it seems plausible that another lockdown or some new variant or disease/excuse will be required in order to get everyone on board. I travelled across China in 2019 and it's depressing to think that soon our societies will be like that one. I remember first arriving in Beijing on a sweltering hot day and not being able to even buy a cold drink at McDonalds because I was locked out of the financial system (there were no tellers; couldn't pay with cash; my cards didn't work, either).
billgoodman Posted - 04/10/2022 : 10:28:02

Sprite Posted - 04/04/2022 : 11:48:51
I was thinking the same thing. It seems to be going at breakneck speed, could make for a quite different record this time.
billgoodman Posted - 04/04/2022 : 10:30:50
Yeah totally

johnnyribcage Posted - 04/04/2022 : 09:19:04
Thinking about it here - if he wrote 40 songs in a couple weeks, I wonder how fleshed out they were in terms of the structure he wanted. Were they mostly there or did the band need to do extra fleshing out beyond just the arrangements? If they got worked a lot in the studio they might have expanded out somewhat. 40 songs in a few weeks… banging them out like that, maybe they’re shorter blasts of songs, more like the 2-3 minute songs of the 1.0 era. It would be awesome to have a couple 14-15 track albums that still come in under the 40 minute mark like the old days…

I prefer the “pitch fast and throw strikes” approach, and that looks like the gear they’ve shifted into. 40 songs written in December, bang out an album in January, right back in the studio 3 months later to bang out another album… sign me up.

johnnyribcage Posted - 04/04/2022 : 05:58:59
This is some great news, gonna check that interview out

Ziggy Posted - 04/03/2022 : 06:45:11
quote:

Do you think Human Crime will make the record?
It's not from the January session

Heard it was intended as a standalone single, but we'll see...
billgoodman Posted - 04/03/2022 : 05:28:23
Do you think Human Crime will make the record?
It's not from the January session

Ziggy Posted - 04/03/2022 : 05:21:18
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by pot

Interview with said information is up here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0015lgp

47m - Pixies rehearsing Human Crime in the background
1h41m - Frank Interview

A very clear interview album's done and will be released in september
Next week a new session for another record

Exactly. The announcement (and single) and release dates for the album from the January session are already set.
billgoodman Posted - 04/02/2022 : 12:07:29
quote:
Originally posted by pot

1h41m - Frank Interview

A very clear interview album's done and will be released in september
Next week a new session for another record

Stevio10 Posted - 04/02/2022 : 12:00:59
I think Tom Dalgety has done great especially with Beneath the Eyrie. I'm more just curious what happens to the songs that don't make the final albums. Will they stay as demos or get reused further down the line in some form or another
pot Posted - 04/02/2022 : 10:44:24
So what are you saying it might not be the actual title of the new album and Frank was just giving his usual slightly disheveled responses?
Ziggy Posted - 04/02/2022 : 10:01:27
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Find it a bit strange they'd release the name of the album so early, especially as the title is exactly the same (although spelled differently) to Fountains DC debut Dogrel in 2019. They've covered Gouge Away so who knows it may be an appreciation and not so subtle nod of approval in their direction.

Nice news though, more Pixies / FB is always welcome. Cool they're doing a session at Rockfield studio though would be majorly surprised if Dalgety wasn't producing. Which isn't a shame but it seems like there's been a ton of tracks Dalgety has passed on over the years so would be interesting if someone like Norton would take these on. But good news nonetheless.

It wasn't the 'official' album announcement as such, but that's not too far behind from what I hear. The band speaks very highly of Tom's work, especially with the new record. Clearly BTE was a happy experience for all too.

pot Posted - 04/02/2022 : 08:14:43
Just before Xmas as well - not sure why this meant no presents for his kids though? Surely he could have ordered them a new iPhone or a Playstation on Amazon at least.

Worth noting here too that Violet was hinting last year on facebook at possible new Grand Duchy music too. Could be a bumper year/next year for new material - maybe he's going to try and make up for the lack of new music coming out since 2019, which will be his longest haitus since Come On Pilgrim.
Sprite Posted - 04/02/2022 : 07:56:01
It was interesting to read that the songs were written in a couple of weeks. Might bode for well for it sounding like the BTE demos.
pot Posted - 04/02/2022 : 06:35:02
quote:
Originally posted by Stevio10

Find it a bit strange they'd release the name of the album so early, especially as the title is exactly the same (although spelled differently) to Fountains DC debut Dogrel in 2019.

Maybe there's another single release in the imminent pipeline and it's going to be the title track of the album?
pot Posted - 04/02/2022 : 06:33:48
quote:

I'm going to try to do my best and avoid the pot conspiracy bait - so great news about all the recording activity!

Just reiterating what Bill Gates said, although he won't admit to the fake side of things. Global mortality rates for the past few years show that.

The reason I'm mentioning it is because the Covid hysteria is still going on - and with all cause mortality rates spiking across all ages as a result of vaccine injury I think the cabal of western leaders who all graduated from the WEF before inflitrating our democracies with their lies and fascism might attempt to fake another pandemic using these numbers.

So as we head into the winter next year, just as Pixies release their new album we could be facing more lockdowns and restrictions on travel, which will surely affect any tours they might have planned.

No "conspiracy bait" just some uncomfortable truths. Whether you see it or choose to bury your head in the sand things are only going to continue getting worse as we head through this decade towards 2030, the target the UN and the WEF have set to "reset" how we live and it's all going to tie in with the green agenda. We can all look forward to the complete collapse of western civilisation in the very near future, and it's all being planned for us by people who were never elected to decide our futures, and sadly I think it's all going to happen because not enough people are awake to it or prepared to stand against it.

I'm not trying to put a downer on the news of the album release. We can all look back on this post and see if I'm right, which I hope I'm not.
Stevio10 Posted - 04/02/2022 : 06:17:12
Find it a bit strange they'd release the name of the album so early, especially as the title is exactly the same (although spelled differently) to Fountains DC debut Dogrel in 2019. They've covered Gouge Away so who knows it may be an appreciation and not so subtle nod of approval in their direction.

Nice news though, more Pixies / FB is always welcome. Cool they're doing a session at Rockfield studio though would be majorly surprised if Dalgety wasn't producing. Which isn't a shame but it seems like there's been a ton of tracks Dalgety has passed on over the years so would be interesting if someone like Norton would take these on. But good news nonetheless.
Brank_Flack Posted - 04/02/2022 : 05:57:35
Ziggy Posted - 04/02/2022 : 03:38:02
quote:
Originally posted by Jamie

Great, although it would be more great if it was coming out sooner than September.

Probably a combination of promotional schedule and vinyl pressing wait time! It's actually a shorter wait than BTE/Indie Cindy etc.
pot Posted - 04/02/2022 : 02:48:26

1h41m - Frank Interview

TheScooper Posted - 04/01/2022 : 19:39:41
Be awesome if this was another turn with Gil Norton since it's where they recorded IC
pot Posted - 04/01/2022 : 17:10:42
Who knows what to aim for these days - there could be another fake pandemic just around the corner? Or something else.

Be nice if the world went back to how it was pre-Covid, even though things weren't perfect then either. I don't think it's going to though but I hope I'm wrong about that
Jamie Posted - 04/01/2022 : 16:37:21
Great, although it would be more great if it was coming out sooner than September.
Ziggy Posted - 04/01/2022 : 14:44:22
Yes, looks set to be an exciting year!

I understand the Rockfield sessions are very much in addition to the Doggerel album, which as Charles revealed is already scheduled for release.

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000