-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 All Over the World -- Pixies Live!
 2022, they're back :)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stuczuba Posted - 03/16/2022 : 08:23:01
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pixies/2022/rialto-theatre-tucson-az-7389c229.html

Good to see they've kept Ana and Havalina in there :)
35   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
billgoodman Posted - 09/05/2023 : 01:14:59
Maybe record a live show and redeem the songs, because the album sounds awful

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Brank_Flack Posted - 09/04/2023 : 08:21:21
Indie Cindy 10th Anniversary tour?

I'd seriously be all in.
Sprite Posted - 09/04/2023 : 05:33:56
Ha! The Pixies 2.0 only concert campaign starts now. It only took 15+ years for Bossanova and Trompe!
billgoodman Posted - 09/04/2023 : 04:01:47
quote:
Originally posted by pot

Doggerel would be an interesting encore to play at the Bossa Trompe shows - I'm wondering what we'll get ? maybe no encore as it's a two album set - I think it would be nice to get three songs at the end - I wonder if they'll ever play Bam Thwok live ? maybe they have

I believe they have

Some songs of Doggerel and BTE would mix in well with Bossa Trompe shows.IC would maybe fit in even more.

pot Posted - 08/29/2023 : 13:09:17
Doggerel would be an interesting encore to play at the Bossa Trompe shows - I'm wondering what we'll get ? maybe no encore as it's a two album set - I think it would be nice to get three songs at the end - I wonder if they'll ever play Bam Thwok live ? maybe they have
Brank_Flack Posted - 08/29/2023 : 06:32:46
Great show and great venue! I was glad they played Doggerel, and thought the new songs fit in nicely. The 1-2 punch of Break My Body and Cactus midway through the set were particularly strong.

I hadn't listened to Modest Mouse in about 15 years but was pleasantly surprised by how good they were. Cat Power was also in strong form, although it's a shame she only played for 30 minutes to a pretty small crowd - it was a bit of a mismatch with what I consider to be her artistic stature. That's just me though, she did sound very pleased and grateful to be on the tour.
Brank_Flack Posted - 08/28/2023 : 10:52:24
Crossing the border to see the show at the amphitheater in Lewiston, NY this evening. Looking forward to it (even though they've unfortunately but understandably cut back on the Doggerel songs given the more general audience for this multi-headliner tour)!
Bedbug Posted - 08/28/2023 : 10:48:28
Setlist for the North Adams Mass show says they played Something Against You in the middle of the two halves of Isla De Encanta.
Bedbug Posted - 06/28/2023 : 17:27:37
Nice review of the Boston gig from someone who seems to get it

https://digboston.com/fotobom-pixies-franz-ferdinand-bully-mgm-music-hall/
Bedbug Posted - 06/26/2023 : 18:17:52
And last night in Houston they opened with Gouge Away (which if they would have done with Saints, Brick, and Horizon would have been four closers in a row) and then right into Bone Machine, Debaser, and Caribou, which is 3 album openers in a row.

It's a slow night around here
Sprite Posted - 06/26/2023 : 06:56:52
That is certainly a great opening trio!
Bedbug Posted - 06/24/2023 : 18:49:21
Ok! Loving what our man is doing with these setlists lately. Check out June 23rd in Houston, first 3 songs: Saints, Brick, Horizon...

Opening with All the Saints is amazing in its own right, but to start off the show with 3 album closers in a row, that's smashing.

The Doggerel tour setlists have really reinvigorated things in my opinion

(This is assuming the setlist website is correct)
Bedbug Posted - 06/17/2023 : 10:17:32
Great video from Boston last week of Who's More Sorry Now.

Paz is all smiles and crowd seems really into it, singing along. Great guitar work by Joey and Charles too

I think this song is a real winner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhjwCFJ0QG4
Ziggy Posted - 01/19/2023 : 14:27:17
Let's hope so! 'Nomatterday' and the title track would be wonderful.
Bedbug Posted - 01/13/2023 : 20:37:10
I’m not wondering that but now that you bring it up I hope you’re right
billgoodman Posted - 01/13/2023 : 00:43:16
I surely hope so

Sprite Posted - 01/12/2023 : 13:30:21
Anybody else wondering if they are getting down this month to practice some Doggerel songs in advance of the upcoming tour dates?
picpic Posted - 12/24/2022 : 15:08:38
quote:
Originally posted by stuczuba

That's my clip, I'd forgotten that! :)

Really ? Nice !!! I think that’s the only recording we have of those 3 rarities, so thanks a lot for sharing.

Build High definitely rocked. Do you know any other clip of them performing this song in 2018 ?

Now about Down to the Well: this was typically one of those lost Bossa/Trompe gems that I dreamed of hearing live again for years. And, like all those lost songs, I was pretty sur they’would never, ever’play’it again. And then, out of the blue, poof, it’s here.
And I don’t really know how to feel about this live rendition. Don’t get me wrong: It’s great. Of course. But at the same time it’s not what I expected. I don’t know why. Or maybe my expectations were too high.
I’m kind of caught in a dilemma: do I really want to hear Bird Dream or Najavo ? Or Happening on the next tour? Or is it better to leave them were the are for eternity ?
___
"Service Unavailable"
Ziggy Posted - 12/23/2022 : 15:02:41
Clearly the band will have their own view on what's popular/what works/what doesn't, but it's a shame to lose those songs. I had to miss the London show on that tour, but loved seeing the videos.

Puzzles me why 'Down to the Well' hasn't been part of the regular set throughout!
stuczuba Posted - 12/21/2022 : 10:08:53
quote:
Originally posted by picpic

quote:

Have they dropped that little rarities set between CoP and SR to play Doolittle songs?

If you’re talking about Build High/ Rock A My Soul/ Down to the well, those were only played on the CoP/SR mini-tour in 2018.
According to setlist.fm they had already dropped those on the same CoP/SR 2020 tour just before covid.
Build High sounded great.
Sigh.
https://youtu.be/F-8wsREM5bg

___
"Service Unavailable"

That's my clip, I'd forgotten that! :)

Yeah, I thought they were part of the attraction of the tour - much like the Doolittle B sides getting an airing back in 2009. Didn't realize they'd been gone a while but seems a shame to let them slide. It's not like they get played at standard shows
picpic Posted - 12/20/2022 : 09:32:33
quote:

Have they dropped that little rarities set between CoP and SR to play Doolittle songs?

If you’re talking about Build High/ Rock A My Soul/ Down to the well, those were only played on the CoP/SR mini-tour in 2018.
According to setlist.fm they had already dropped those on the same CoP/SR 2020 tour just before covid.
Build High sounded great.
Sigh.
https://youtu.be/F-8wsREM5bg

___
"Service Unavailable"
benji Posted - 12/18/2022 : 17:26:05
quote:
Originally posted by Sprite

I confirm I would be bouncing during that Euphrates. Great videos Benji!

It was hard keeping myself standing still! Love that song. I'd love to have heard the ep version as the longer outro is my fav, but can't complain.
Glad you liked the vids.

all i can say, thank god for polio! brian
Sprite Posted - 12/18/2022 : 14:23:01
I confirm I would be bouncing during that Euphrates. Great videos Benji!
stuczuba Posted - 12/17/2022 : 23:17:30

Troubles A Foot Posted - 12/17/2022 : 13:32:53
Thanks for those videos! They do sound great.

I really don't get why they are now not playing any songs from new albums. I just genuinely don't get it. They keep saying how proud they are of the album. Don't they want to get it out there? Or just genuinely want to play their recent efforts, for fun or something? Pixies will always be a mystery to me.
benji Posted - 12/17/2022 : 11:12:15
Show in Christchurch last night was cool. Band seemed to be having a great time. Just a little banter, but I've seen enough Pixies shows to know that usually it's zilch.
Things I remember....
Really enjoyed the documentary at the start.
Frank introduced the show as they walked on the stage - he had to really think what year Surfer Rosa was released, but he got it right....
Joeys guitar was a little low in the mix for a while, but that got sorted.
I really enjoyed the long outro to Gigantic. As did the crowd - which went balistic during the song. Speaking of which, Paz did a fantastic job. Hadn't seen her in the band before, but I was impressed. I knew I would be, but the chmeistry seemed fantastic between them all.
I looked like Frank had to check the setlist sitting by the drunk kit a few times - which amused me for some reason.
The Doolittle songs they played at the end got the biggest reception. Not unusual there, but maybe the crowd had warmed up a little by then as well. Here Comes Your Man was fantastic, and got the most singalonging.
La La Love you was slightly chaotic, but really great to see again - seen it a few other times.
Doing Winterlong as the final song of the set was great. Really enjoyed the extended outro with Joeys shredding.
Extra songs played: Gouge Away, Debaser, Head On, Here Comes Your Man, Wave Of Mutilation (UK Surf), La La La Love You, Winterlong

I recorded a few of the songs and uploaded them to Youtube:
Something Against You: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXF44OncRDA
River Euphrates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjN2CgfZFL0
Oh My Golly!, Vamos & I'm Amazed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV7eRvehyWY
Head On & Here Comes Your Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wfqru3NzO4
Winterlong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuH9ScniNkw

benji Posted - 12/15/2022 : 18:43:34
I'm seeing them tomorrow night. Quite looking forward to it.

Troubles A Foot Posted - 12/15/2022 : 13:23:08
quote:
“Welcome to the Opera”. Black Francis announces their intentions for the night

Holy shit, he SPOKE?
pixie punk Posted - 12/15/2022 : 05:51:49
https://www.ambientlightblog.com/pixies-wellington-nz-2022/

PUERTO RICO PIXIE
tamefan Posted - 12/11/2022 : 02:16:12
I'm listening to the Pixies show from Cologne summer 2022 and they've started Gouge Away with that extended intro with the repeating bass line & Joey's spacey sounds. I remember reporting in ~2015 on setlists.fm that Pixies performed the song this way at the Horseshoe Tavern show in Toronto (a tiny venue for a few hundred people at most). At that time, people thought I was joking but now Pixies do it at every show :-)
Bedbug Posted - 12/10/2022 : 15:56:04
For anyone who was there how did "The Lord Has Come Back Today" ?
kromkamp Posted - 12/07/2022 : 02:57:25
Well, kudos to the band on Melbourne night 2 not playing any duplicate songs from the first night for the first hour of the show tonight. Unfortunately, that meant zero Doggerel songs tonight :-(

St Nazare sounded particularly awesome now though. Death Horizon fell completely flat.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 12/06/2022 : 21:36:55
Yeah. If I saw anything from Doggerel live, I'd want it to be Dregs (this would BRING DOWN THE HOUSE), or Get Simulated, or maybe Thunder...the last ones I'd want to see are Moon and Vault of Heaven...Though I admit I think Sorry is finally growing on me.
kromkamp Posted - 12/06/2022 : 18:07:50
Some dates here are normal setlists (Melbourne and Adelaide I believe).

I’m a little disappointed in the Doggerel song selection, they seem to be playing the exact same 4 songs, 3 of which are (IMO) some of the weakest on the album. I was definitely getting used to them playing the majority of their new albums. It was also a really short show here in Melbourne night 1. Hoping for more Doggerel tonight (but not optimistic)
billgoodman Posted - 12/05/2022 : 12:15:12
Yeah, they are finishing a postponed tour (2020 COVID)

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000