-= Frank Black Forum =-
-= Frank Black Forum =-
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frank Black Chat
 Here Comes Your Subbacultcha
 Bands You Think Are Better Than The Pixies

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bedbug Posted - 03/05/2022 : 19:28:58
In your opinion, are the Pixies the single best band bar none?

Is there anyone better than they?

Who comes close?

I'm not talking about popular consensus, I'm asking about your personal feelings.

For me, the only band I would nominate would be Ween. I've been listening / seeing both bands since the early 90s, and it's hard to pick a number one, but Ween would be it if I had to. Every studio album is solid and can be listened to over and over, and their live shows are off the charts. And they've got so much unreleased stuff that you can find out there that there's always something new to get into. (And their satellite efforts are also terrific but it would be a different discussion to put up all of FBF's canon, I would have to reevaluate that).

I think there are some forum members on here who think that FB&theC's are better than the Pixies, even better than 1.0. I respect that but I don't feel that way.

Feel free to chime in, I'm curious to hear what people say. And as always, this is just a friendly discussion and no one is right or wrong necessarily, just having an interesting discussion I hope.
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stevio10 Posted - 06/14/2022 : 13:09:00
Wipers first few albums were amazing, hard to say if better but I'd put them up there.
Sprite Posted - 06/14/2022 : 08:33:55
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

quote:
Originally posted by Arm Arm Arm

Pearl Jam. They're the only band I'd put above Pixies/Fb/Catholics etc. And it's darn close. I think on an album-by-album basis Fb is far ahead in terms of quality. Certainly more prolific. But Pj's music resonates with me on a deep level; their concerts put them over the top.

Pj's #1 for me.

You may be interested to know Pearl Jam and Pixies are playing a show together!

https://www.facebook.com/joey.santiago.56/posts/10227880481534878

Is that connected with this? (I don't have facebook)

https://twitter.com/PIXIES/status/1535313918012301312?s=20&t=rp0QnXu5v5QGob9Ha7ngAQ

It's a pop-up Pearl Jam/Pixies shop just before their show in Hyde Park. I am not going to the show I might pop along to the shop to see what's going on.

hammerhands Posted - 06/14/2022 : 06:46:29
Pixies/FB are up there.

I think Jane's Addiction had a flawless album in Ritual de lo Habitual.

NoMeansNo had a lot of good albums.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 06/13/2022 : 13:38:09
quote:

Pearl Jam. They're the only band I'd put above Pixies/Fb/Catholics etc. And it's darn close. I think on an album-by-album basis Fb is far ahead in terms of quality. Certainly more prolific. But Pj's music resonates with me on a deep level; their concerts put them over the top.

Pj's #1 for me.

You may be interested to know Pearl Jam and Pixies are playing a show together!

https://www.facebook.com/joey.santiago.56/posts/10227880481534878
darwin Posted - 04/21/2022 : 20:21:33
Props to Gun Club.
Troubles A Foot Posted - 04/19/2022 : 08:17:00
If I haven't figured it out after over 300 songs, I'm hopeless!
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 04/19/2022 : 07:40:56
This was a gradual realization for me; I sometimes think that singing style was part of the hardcore scene the band emerged from/was a part of. It just became overkill for me. Haven't listened to Zen Arcade in years, may give it a listen see how it holds up.

Good luck with your songwriting!
Troubles A Foot Posted - 04/18/2022 : 22:48:51
quote:

Went through a Husker Du phase years ago. I think my favorite remains Zen Arcade. After a while the songwriting didn't work for me and I think Bob Mould just over sings; let the music have some space why-dontcha?

This is an interesting criticism because it really applies to my own music too. The reason is because before having a band I was a solo guy for many years. So the songs weren't written with any jamming or instrumental sections in mind because it's just me and a guitar. I'm not a lead solo dude. So when I got a band we just did the songs as is and it's my voice on top of everything 95% of the time.

So one thing a friend of mine said once about a song of mine he really liked was to let it breathe, because it's so moody and somber, he's like "it's over in like 2 minutes, I want to zone out to it!" So for the album version (out soon) I copy and pasted the drums and bass to make an instrumental section to just chill out on top of.

In general I'm trying more and more to not just have me singing be on top of everything all the time. It's great advice for songwriting and for a band. It's about the music!
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 04/18/2022 : 16:46:38
Went through a Husker Du phase years ago. I think my favorite remains Zen Arcade. After a while the songwriting didn't work for me and I think Bob Mould just over sings; let the music have some space why-dontcha?

The Pixies discography wipes the floor with Zeppelin; they're quite good and one of the biggest, earliest rock bands but album-by-album Pixies take it.

In my opinion.
pot Posted - 04/16/2022 : 16:49:34
quote:
As far as other live bands go, I think Zeppelin ranks number 2 behind PJ; once one cuts out the violin bow bullshit and the fifteen to twenty minute drum solo. A twenty minute plus No Quarter or thirty minute Dazed & Confused isn't for everyone but man, what a musical journey.

Whenever I take the time to go back and listen to a bit of old Led Zep again I'm always refreshed by just how amazing a band they really were. When this thread came up they were one of the bands I was thinking about maybe could be better than the Pixies?
Arm Arm Arm Posted - 04/16/2022 : 09:59:33

But if anyone asks me for my favorite band, it's PJ. I do enjoy recommending Pixies/Fb to anyone whose not familiar, particularly the Catholics albums.

As far as other live bands go, I think Zeppelin ranks number 2 behind PJ; once one cuts out the violin bow bullshit and the fifteen to twenty minute drum solo. A twenty minute plus No Quarter or thirty minute Dazed & Confused isn't for everyone but man, what a musical journey.

Pj's #1 for me.

cheers
two reelers Posted - 04/02/2022 : 00:27:41
Husker Du, in terms of playing and performing as a band.

The only thing that make me feel Pixies are better is watching their Brixton 1991 performance.

I joined the cult of Souled American / 'cause they are a damn' fine band
Brank_Flack Posted - 03/17/2022 : 07:48:49
If we're including songwriters I would add Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, and Neil Young as well (which I'm sure Charles would understand being a fan of all three!).
johnnyribcage Posted - 03/16/2022 : 14:27:21
It’s pretty difficult for me to rank bands in terms of being “better” than others. There are so many things to grade on and all the subjectivity. I could try to rank on a criteria like “best songwriting” “most number of great albums” or “most whatever…” it’s an exercise I don’t have much interest in. However I can name several bands that I LIKE as much as the Pixies, and I would need to lump Pixies and all things Frank Black together because in my mind it’s all one in the same. It’s all one continuum from my perspective.

Bands / artists I like as much as Pixies/FBF (not comprehensive because there are a lot - this is off the top of my head)
- King Crimson
- Jethro Tull
- Beach Boys
- The Band
- Bob Dylan
- Soundgarden
- Neil Young
- Prince
- Miles Davis
- Tom Waits
- Ween
- Pink Floyd
- XTC
- Dire Straits / Mark Knopfler
- Mahavishnu Orchestra
- ZZ Top

Bands / artists I PROBABLY like more than Pixies/FBF, Gun to my head…
- Grateful Dead
- The Beatles
- Phish
- … might edit and add a couple more

I had a bad reaction to your public hobby writings.
Brank_Flack Posted - 03/10/2022 : 11:18:54
Off the top of my head:

The Beatles
The Velvet Underground
Radiohead
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
Bedbug Posted - 03/09/2022 : 08:54:28
quote:
Originally posted by Troubles A Foot

My favorite bands I like more than the Pixies:

They Might Be Giants
The Rheostatics
XTC

Maybe: Talking Heads, The Smiths

But to be honest, much of this is apples and oranges.

I suppose if we were to merge the "Bands that are exactly like the Pixies thread" with the "bands that are better than the Pixies" thread then we could have applies to applies
Troubles A Foot Posted - 03/08/2022 : 16:31:19
My favorite bands I like more than the Pixies:

They Might Be Giants
The Rheostatics
XTC

Maybe: Talking Heads, The Smiths

But to be honest, much of this is apples and oranges.
billgoodman Posted - 03/08/2022 : 12:50:08
quote:
Originally posted by Bedbug

GBV, huh?

I will have to check them out more, thank you Mr. Goodman

30+ albums, 100 if you count side projects.
It's all good, not always great, most of the time brilliant.

---------------------------
BF: Mag ik Engels spreken?
Stevio10 Posted - 03/08/2022 : 04:58:50
The Gun Club. Maybe not better than but as good.
Bedbug Posted - 03/07/2022 : 18:10:48
GBV, huh?

I will have to check them out more, thank you Mr. Goodman
billgoodman Posted - 03/07/2022 : 10:31:29
But honestly all my favorite bands are no. 1 from time to time

billgoodman Posted - 03/07/2022 : 10:30:57
GBV

-= Frank Black Forum =- © 2002-2020 Frank Black Fans, Inc. Go To Top Of Page